Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:16:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
Author Topic: Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)  (Read 48390 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:52 PM »

Why the hell should someone who opposes the very concept of private property be concerned about property damage?

Maybe if you're a decent person and care about other people?

People are made to suffer on the altar of ideology.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #401 on: November 28, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »

Why the hell should someone who opposes the very concept of private property be concerned about property damage?
Good. Hand over the car or I'll smash your computer! Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #402 on: November 28, 2014, 11:44:05 PM »

Those are both personal property. Private property refers to means of production.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #403 on: November 29, 2014, 01:47:27 AM »

Those are both personal property. Private property refers to means of production.

That's not true.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #404 on: November 29, 2014, 05:39:14 AM »

Those in charge of the police and the National Guard made some stupid decisions.

This is inadvertently poetic. The whole issue here is that "stupid decisions" by anyone shouldn't result in people being killed, and how can we avoid that.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #405 on: November 29, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »

Yeah, the more I read regarding the balance of the witness testimony and the conduct of the prosecutor and the assistant DA, the more convinced I am that this case really should have gone to trial. 
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #406 on: November 29, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »

Most of the buildings burned out were stores- "means of distribution," perhaps? And then of course the burnt out cars which definitely qualify as "personal property."

The better argument for property destruction (if that's what your interested in making) is that the convenience stores, gas stations, etc are not truly a part of the Ferguson community. They are owned by outsiders and their profits by and large are sucked out of the community, leaving only minimum wage dribblings for community members to survive on. If you accept that framework, destroying the corner store or lighting Taco Bell on fire is an act of resistance, a spontaneous one but still an action which strikes out at [capitalism/white supremacy/your power structure here] in a meaningful way.

Haven't heard a good argument for burning non-government owned cars, though I guess if you're some sort of anarcho-primitivist that would be part of the struggle to reject industrial technology and return our planet to carbon neutral state, or what have you.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #407 on: November 29, 2014, 06:38:59 PM »

Most of the buildings burned out were stores- "means of distribution," perhaps? And then of course the burnt out cars which definitely qualify as "personal property."

The better argument for property destruction (if that's what your interested in making) is that the convenience stores, gas stations, etc are not truly a part of the Ferguson community. They are owned by outsiders and their profits by and large are sucked out of the community, leaving only minimum wage dribblings for community members to survive on. If you accept that framework, destroying the corner store or lighting Taco Bell on fire is an act of resistance, a spontaneous one but still an action which strikes out at [capitalism/white supremacy/your power structure here] in a meaningful way.

You'd have to be ignorant of the situation and comfortably removed from reality to make such an  argument.  How many black people have to have their businesses destroyed, how many black people have their jobs taken away, before we stop hearing this sort of thing is justified in the name of sticking it to the white man? 
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #408 on: November 29, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »

Darren Wilson has resigned from the Ferguson PD, calling it "the hardest thing I've ever had to do."

You must be logged in to read this quote.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #409 on: November 29, 2014, 11:51:48 PM »

Darren Wilson has resigned from the Ferguson PD, calling it "the hardest thing I've ever had to do."

Goddamn every single thing Darren Wilson says makes me more and more sure he's an awful human being.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #410 on: November 30, 2014, 12:02:56 AM »

Goddamn every single thing Darren Wilson says makes me more and more sure he's an awful human being.

I don't understand what's so bad about that relatively boilerplate statement, except possibly for the fact that it was made at all.  Wilson clearly is parlaying his accidental fame into celebrity, which feels dirty, but it's hard for me to say I wouldn't be doing the same thing.

now a memoir would be a bit much.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #411 on: November 30, 2014, 12:04:53 AM »

Please don't turn this guy into some kind of right wing celebrity, signing autographs at gun shows and speaking at events. I get defending him, but he is no hero.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #412 on: November 30, 2014, 12:06:57 AM »

Please don't turn this guy into some kind of right wing celebrity, signing autographs at gun shows and speaking at events. I get defending him, but he is no hero.

Expect him to be like Zimmerman: Vanishing into obscurity until he occasionally pops up doing something that proves he's an awful human being.

I don't understand what's so bad about that relatively boilerplate statement, except possibly for the fact that it was made at all.  Wilson clearly is parlaying his accidental fame into celebrity, which feels dirty, but it's hard for me to say I wouldn't be doing the same thing.

now a memoir would be a bit much.

I was mad at the "Hardest thing I've ever done" statement. Quitting the police force was harder for him to do than shoot an unarmed man?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #413 on: November 30, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »

Freedom Isn't Free: Reflections on Serving and Protecting America by Darren Wilson
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #414 on: November 30, 2014, 02:42:39 AM »

Another cop shoots and kills an unarmed civilian at point-blank range and is getting off with no charges.

In this case, it was a Hispanic cop shooting a white guy.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #415 on: November 30, 2014, 02:48:37 AM »

It's probably too late for that. Like Zimmerman, Wilson will be permanently on the dole of wingnut welfare.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #416 on: November 30, 2014, 10:45:09 AM »

Big difference: this cop was wearing a body camera, and this guy was clearly asking to be shot. When asked to put his hands up, the guy put his hands under his shirt, causing the cop to fire.

Not saying this is a justified killing or anything, and the cop should have been charged with something, but this cop could at least say that there's video evidence of the guy posing a legitimate threat.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #417 on: November 30, 2014, 03:25:57 PM »

I think every cop should wear a body camera. This ferguson situation would have turned out so much better if we all knew exactly what happened.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #418 on: November 30, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »

He will go away if he is smart. I don't think he is as vile of a person as Zimmerman/Cliven Bundy is.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #419 on: November 30, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »

I think every cop should wear a body camera. This ferguson situation would have turned out so much better if we all knew exactly what happened.

Sadly, many projects just froze because of costs. Some people thought it was a good idea to make "Freedom of Information" requests to get all was filmed by cameras and the cost of treating all those requests is insane.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #420 on: November 30, 2014, 11:00:56 PM »

He's getting no severance or pension, which is a good thing. After all the trouble he's caused, he doesn't deserve any taxpayer dollars lining his pockets.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #421 on: December 01, 2014, 08:05:34 AM »

I know it sounds a bit weird, but I can definately see Darren Wilson attempting to run for the Republican Senate nomination in 2018 for the right to face off against Claire McCaskill.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #422 on: January 21, 2015, 04:26:20 PM »

The DOJ isn't charging Wilson.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #423 on: January 21, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »

There was zero chance they would. They don't file federal civil rights charges unless they can prove them, and as we saw multiple times during the Grand Jury proceedings, there are WAY too many ifs in this case.

I think Pantaleo might get charged down the line, though. There's precedent.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #424 on: January 21, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »

If Holder's DOJ is saying this, that's saying a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies