Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:15:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case (Announcement Monday night)  (Read 48473 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: November 25, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »

I mean are we just ignoring the robbery, the assault, the grabbing the gun, etc, etc? You guys seem to be engaging in the sort of "truthiness" that conservatives are so often mocked for; you built a narrative about what happened and you're just ignoring or rejecting any sort of evidence (i.e. most of it) that goes against it.

Is this modern liberalism? Proclaiming violent thuggish criminals to be martyrs and his assaulted victim to be a cold-blooded bigoted murder? If so, as it sadly seems, Rawls was wrong about liberalism, dead wrong. As I said:

I am a person who sees no reason to believe that a literal and indisputable robber and assaulter, perhaps even a committer of hate crimes (he said some nasty things to the South Asian shopkeeper, if I recall correctly), was somehow the innocent victim of a bloodthirsty bigot who just happened to coincidentally be in the area as the aforementioned assailant and robber was fleeing the scene.

Somehow the rest of you are privy to a completely different series of facts, apparently.

Let's go back to this. I've never actually seen a realistic accounting of the initial confrontation between Brown and Wilson. Wilson says he told Brown and Johnson to get off the street, "words were exchanged," he tried to block them with his car, Brown assaulted him, dove into the car, tried to get his gun, etc.

Do we view this as entirely realistic? Or do we totally take it at face value? When Wilson says "words were exchanged," is it not reasonable to believe that those words may have been something like, "You two a**holes better get the f**k out of the road"? Is it not reasonable to believe that when Wilson says he tried to block them with his car, that he may have slammed open his door into Brown, who pushed back at it?

I'm not saying that's how things happened, but that's exactly the kind of thing that an adversarial process would investigate and draw out. But instead we're only left with Wilson's neutered account of the "demon" charging at him like a bull.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »

Unfortunately, it's very, very rare for a police officer to get indicted. I am not surprised he wasn't. Most laypeople look at law enforcement as good people who has no ill will towards anyone, and thus police brutality is goes largely unchecked.

The rioting and looting doesn't do much to help the plight of those affected either. It is merely reinforcing the stereotypes that many racists have about the black community. What does it accomplish?

The rioting and looting is an expression of inchoate rage at being powerless. I don't imagine that it's calculated to accomplish anything.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »

What about Wilson's story is unbelievable exactly?  I think every story you tell with these stakes is not necessarily believable.  Obviously, someone is not going to readily tell the truth if it implicates them in a murder, right?

But, I think the main point people are making is that Wilson could have used non-lethal force to subdue Brown. 

Maybe the part when Michael Brown stops in the middle of beating Wilson to say, "Comrade Johnson, would you mind holding my stolen goods for me so I can more readily assault this police officer? Thank you kindly."
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »

What about Wilson's story is unbelievable exactly?  I think every story you tell with these stakes is not necessarily believable.  Obviously, someone is not going to readily tell the truth if it implicates them in a murder, right?

But, I think the main point people are making is that Wilson could have used non-lethal force to subdue Brown. 

Maybe the part when Michael Brown stops in the middle of beating Wilson to say, "Comrade Johnson, would you mind holding my stolen goods for me so I can more readily assault this police officer? Thank you kindly."

Why is that unbelievable?

You...you're kidding, right? You find that bit of the story to be credible?

Do you also find it credible that Wilson was exceedingly polite to Brown and Johnson in asking them to move to the sidewalk, and they responded by trying to kill him?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies