Commission on Electoral Reform: Public Forum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:04:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Commission on Electoral Reform: Public Forum
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Commission on Electoral Reform: Public Forum  (Read 852 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »

The President has created this Commission on Electoral Reform with a broad mandate to craft proposals for improving our nation's electoral system. The following quote is the executive order establishing our Commission:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

In effect, every option is currently on the table - from minor patches of existing laws, all the way to comprehensive overhauls of our entire system - and the purpose of this thread is to solicit the public for their input as well as to provide an open discussion for all participants to brainstorm new ways to improve every Atlasian's election experience.

While the Commission kindly requests that members of the public use this thread for their proposals and commentary, the official thread of the Commission on Electoral Reform can be viewed by clicking this link.

I now open the floor for any who wish to join our discussion Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »

Please do a full reboot of the entire game.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »

It's great to see the Commission starting its work, I'm really looking forward to this!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:07:58 AM »

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:09:47 AM »

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 11:33:17 PM »

It looks like the At-large Senate election is on the chopping block. Perhaps they want to keep one or two seat elected at-large.

I found the big multi-candidates at-large election fun. When I ran in at-large senate elections I could travel all around the country. I was able to connect with people far away from my state of residence. Multi seats at-large elections were a big event. When there is a debate more candidates participate in it and I guess more people follow it. It's less likely to get personal between candidates because it's not a one on one race (unfortunately it doesn't stop third party group from being nasty).

In the current at-large system, it is possible for a candidate with a smaller base to win a seat. You don't need a majority of the votes to win a seat. In district senate elections it would be difficult for a candidate to win if his most probable voters are spread across the country and he doesn't have big general appeal to win a majority of votes in a district.   
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 01:33:03 AM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »

A district system would be akin to treating symptom rather than the disease.  The game's mechanics may be imperfect and can always be toyed with, but that's not where the real problem lies.  The issue is that the game has simply gone boring for many of the players and that we've already fixed most of the interesting problems.  What we need is simply start over from scratch and see where it takes us.  New parties, new constitution, maybe a new electoral system of some sort (IDK), new everything.  We've really done all we can (more or less) with this version of the game.  We need to convert it something new and fresh to save it from its current decent into boring and predictable mediocrity.  The reason the Great Chaos was so good wasn't, in hindsight that it was viable as a long-term solution, but because it (however briefly) added some real unpredictability into the mix and upset the status quo.  A full reboot of the entire game is a way to do that which would also be sustainable in the long-run.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »

A game reboot is a terrible idea. It's a great way to alienate a substantial percentage of participants. I've seen it destroy government simulations before.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies