Harold Wilson doesn't resign in 1976
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:38:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Harold Wilson doesn't resign in 1976
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harold Wilson doesn't resign in 1976  (Read 1696 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »

What if Harold Wilson has decided against retiring in 1976?

Some people believe that the UK political history would be altered significantly, like the former Labour Cabinet Minister Barbara Castle, who has once said that had Wilson stayed on, Conservatives wouldn't win in 1979 and Thatcher would never become Prime Minister.

On the other hand, Labour's won only a slim majority of three in October 1974, which has already disappeared in results of by-elections by the time Callaghan took over. Also, there are many evidences that Wilson's once phenomenal mental abilities were in early decline by the time he retired, due to an early Alzheimer disease.

Perhaps Wilson, had he stayed on, would decide to call a snap general election to regain a majority?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:24:45 AM »

I think Wilson was tired by 76. I don't think he could have soldiered on much longer based on his current health. His memory was failing and he had become paranoid. I think really the only reason he stayed on that long was because he wanted to see off Ted Heath.

Wilson's resignation wasn't a mistake, I don't think. Callaghan not calling the election in '78 was because he certainly would've had a majority enough to make it through a full parliament.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »

You're right. Wilson was not fit to stay on and stepping down was a sensible decision, though shocking to general public (not aware of his issues). If he stayed on, he wouldn't do any better than poor Callaghan.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »

I think Tony Benn mentioned on a panel show he was on with Roy Hattersley and David Owen that the only people Wilson told he was resigning were Callaghan (to give him a jump on the leadership election) and one other person whose name escapes me. Hattersley and Owen both said they hadn't expected it so suddenly. Hattersley was on a foreign trip at the time and someone told him "The Prime Minister has resigned". He actually thought the person meant the PM in the country he happened to be visiting and not Wilson.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies