Do you think Mitt Romney could be the GOP's 2016 nominee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:37:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do you think Mitt Romney could be the GOP's 2016 nominee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you think Mitt Romney could be the GOP's 2016 nominee?  (Read 2594 times)
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:37:22 PM »

Say Jeb Bush decided to stay out of the race and Christie crashed and burned, do you think Romney would jump in to be the establishment wing's savior? If he got the nomination, how do you think he'd fare against the Dem's nominee?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:42 PM »

I think what will happen is that with no republican candidate being able to distinguish themselves there will be calls for Romney to run.  Whether he will or not depends on whether he thinks he will win.  But it's definitely a possibility.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »

He's currently the front-runner, yes.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »

Romney will only become the nominee if, quite literally, every other establishment option, and I mean every single one, crashes and burns. Because that's the only way he'd run.

If he got the nomination, he'd lose again, provided the democrats don't nominate a far-leftist (See: Elizabeth Warren).

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »

Strong chance that by the time we get to the "crashing and burning" stage, most of the relevant filing deadlines will have past, and it'll be too late to enter the race.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »

No.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 01:20:27 AM »

He could be, but the circumstances that would lead to it happening seem extremely remote at this point in time.
hopper
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »

No the window for him being the GOP Presidential Nominee has closed in my view.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 02:44:10 PM »

Sure.

He's popular with Republicans, and fills a niche which has been pretty effective in primaries (the businessman politician.) He also has a campaign network, and an edge in a key early primary state.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »

I agree that Mitt Romney is the ultimate fallback for the establishment, but that means that Christie, Bush, Kasich, Pence (and any other establishment candidate) will have to crash and burn (or not run) first. So it is very very unlikely.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:02:29 PM »

I disagree with everyone saying every establishment candidate needs to crash and burn before Romney would run. I think all he needs is Bush to stay out and he becomes the preference of most big donors.

He's popular with Republicans, and fills a niche which has been pretty effective in primaries (the businessman politician.) He also has a campaign network, and an edge in a key early primary state.

This is right. Romney is setting himself up to run if Bush doesn't. He's not going to stay out for Kasich, Pence, Christie, Rubio or Walker. His wife might talk him out of it or he might decide he can't beat Hillary, but I don't think any GOP rival except Bush would deter him from running.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »

Romney will only become the nominee if, quite literally, every other establishment option, and I mean every single one, crashes and burns. Because that's the only way he'd run.

If he got the nomination, he'd lose again, provided the democrats don't nominate a far-leftist (See: Elizabeth Warren).

lmao
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 10:33:54 PM »

Simply put, Romney will not run.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »

Strong chance that by the time we get to the "crashing and burning" stage, most of the relevant filing deadlines will have past, and it'll be too late to enter the race.

As I've said before, I guarantee he or someone working on his behalf will have a slew of lawyers on retainer ready to get him on however many state ballots he'd need to get enough delegates to convince the unpledged ones to switch to him at or before the convention. That will be the Break Glass in Case of Emergency scenario.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 12:38:45 AM »

I disagree with everyone saying every establishment candidate needs to crash and burn before Romney would run. I think all he needs is Bush to stay out and he becomes the preference of most big donors.

This is right. Romney is setting himself up to run if Bush doesn't. He's not going to stay out for Kasich, Pence, Christie, Rubio or Walker. His wife might talk him out of it or he might decide he can't beat Hillary, but I don't think any GOP rival except Bush would deter him from running.
Mitt Romney has said "No." about 8 million times. If his actual view was "If bush stays out, I run", he wouldn't be as firm in refusing to run, and wouldn't be repeatedly saying the GOP has multiple good contenders for the nomination. Seriously, how many times does he have to tell you no before you believe him?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 02:16:20 AM »

Mitt Romney has said "No." about 8 million times. If his actual view was "If bush stays out, I run", he wouldn't be as firm in refusing to run, and wouldn't be repeatedly saying the GOP has multiple good contenders for the nomination. Seriously, how many times does he have to tell you no before you believe him?

Since when is Mitt Romney saying something evidence of what he actually thinks?

Who makes 80 calls on election night if they're not seriously considering a run? I do think Romney meant it at one point until the field started looking much weaker and donors started pleading with him to run, at which point he started thinking about it more.

Denials are meaningless these days. Obama denied he'd run ahead of 2008. Hillary denied she'd run now. Ahead of 2012, Christie was more Shermanesque than anyone has ever been including Sherman until he reportedly became genuinely undecided and only stayed out because he didn't think he could beat Obama.

But I figure his wife can veto it if she wants.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 02:24:00 AM »

Since when is Mitt Romney saying something evidence of what he actually thinks?

Who makes 80 calls on election night if they're not seriously considering a run? I do think Romney meant it at one point until the field started looking much weaker and donors started pleading with him to run, at which point he started thinking about it more.

Denials are meaningless these days. Obama denied he'd run ahead of 2008. Hillary denied she'd run now. Ahead of 2012, Christie was more Shermanesque than anyone has ever been including Sherman until he reportedly became genuinely undecided and only stayed out because he didn't think he could beat Obama.

But I figure his wife can veto it if she wants.
First off, Hillary hasn't even announced an exploratory committee yet. Quit assuming she's going to run.

Second, his wife is even more firm on him not running than he is, and she will not let him run unless the alternative is watching the nomination of a teapartier.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »

Second, his wife is even more firm on him not running than he is, and she will not let him run unless the alternative is watching the nomination of a teapartier.
So in other words, Ann will be begging Mitt to run?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »

No, no more fake conservatives unless we want to lose again.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »

No, no more fake conservatives unless we want to lose again.

Yes, the only good choice for Republicans is Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, or Michele Bachmann. Please don't nominate them, Democrats don't need another 2014.
DS0816
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »

Say Jeb Bush decided to stay out of the race and Christie crashed and burned, do you think Romney would jump in to be the establishment wing's savior? If he got the nomination, how do you think he'd fare against the Dem's nominee?

What do you think?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 11:18:15 PM »

So in other words, Ann will be begging Mitt to run?
If the chance of a tea-partier (non-establishment) candidate being nominated is >99%, yes.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 12:25:35 PM »

Been reading about this subject for quite a while; interesting arguments; but as much as I have supported Romney in 2012; realistically speaking, that dog has seen it's day. Don't see it happening, unless the sun suddenly rises in the west. I Imagine, Jeb is going to get in, there's a certain gravitas about the guy, and let's forget the brand name, he's in - Christie is to combustible and a toxic commodity for some folks, Rand Paul's only appeal is with the nut-case element, what can I say about Rick Santorum - will the guy, just give up the ghost, already? Duh! Marco Rubio is up in 2016, so if Jeb's in, that's it. Can't see Huckabee getting in, he's yesterday's news and he's simply no Jeb. There's something else, Jeb is no Dubya - he share's the same surname, but he come's from a different political stream to his brother, as well as those other getting ready to run in 2016. The fact, Jeb will come to be regarded as the best chance for the GOP - he's the antithesis of Obama, and practises a different kind of politics. 
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »

For the first time, Ted Cruz and I agree.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/393488/ted-cruz-suggests-romney-and-christie-will-run-2016-joel-gehrke

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Can't see Huckabee getting in, he's yesterday's news and he's simply no Jeb.

Have to disagree on that one. By all accounts, Huckabee is probably going to run. If so, we can assume his appeal in Iowa and to social conservatives will make him one of if not the most popular target next year.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »

No way.  A conservative hates a loser, from a working class guy down on his luck, to a multi-millionaire candidate that just couldn't get the job done.  And he lost to a BLACK of all people?!

Nope.  Not happening. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies