Do you support requiring police officers to wear body-cameras?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:11:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support requiring police officers to wear body-cameras?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you support this policy?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Do you support requiring police officers to wear body-cameras?  (Read 1450 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:22:30 AM »

Yes, enthusiastically (I/O)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:53:19 AM »

In Austria (other than Vienna), no.

In the US: Yes.

I/O.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »

Yes.  By all accounts, having them sharply reduces reports of citizen/police altercations.  No matter what one thinks drives those reports, that has to be considered a good thing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »

Yes.  By all accounts, having them sharply reduces reports of citizen/police altercations.  No matter what one thinks drives those reports, that has to be considered a good thing.
Exactly this.  They protect good cops from assholes and they protect asshole cops from the rest of us.  They should be required on every cop and every cop car.  Many of them, the more the better.  The tech is there and it's not THAT expensive.  Certainly money better spent there than on a new (or used) APC or a dozen automatic rifles.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »

Exactly this.  They protect good cops from assholes and they protect asshole cops from the rest of us.  They should be required on every cop and every cop car.  Many of them, the more the better.  The tech is there and it's not THAT expensive.  Certainly money better spent there than on a new (or used) APC or a dozen automatic rifles.

I think that isn't what you meant to write.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »

No, it is.  What's wrong with it?  Asshole cops are much less likely to act like assholes if they know they are being watched....oh I see now.  Yeah, they protect the rest of us from asshole cops is what I meant to say. Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »

Yes (normal)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »

Yes, without doubt or hesitation. People who basically have absolute power need to be monitored as much as possible.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »

Yes (I/O)

They should also be disarmed and placed under the control of an elected community review board, with the power to hire, fire, and discipline them for misconduct. Known members of hate groups should be banned from being police officers, and all current members of hate groups that happen to be cops should be fired immediately.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »

Obviously yes.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »

99% of the time the cops will be spying on us with their cameras

#UnitedStatesofIdiots
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »

White privilege is when you're more worried about cops spying on you with their body cameras (wtf? their cameras can see everything their eyes can, so unless you think we should blind cops??) than you are about them murdering you and not only getting away with, but being celebrated as a hero and earning half a million dollars in donations.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 01:50:54 PM »

White privilege is when you're more worried about cops spying on you with their body cameras (wtf? their cameras can see everything their eyes can, so unless you think we should blind cops??) than you are about them murdering you and not only getting away with, but being celebrated as a hero and earning half a million dollars in donations.

Your racism is not amusing.

Why don't we hire more cops to watch the other cops on patrol? Why don't we just eliminate all patrol officers and just install CCTV everywhere?

You're so easily duped into throwing away your own freedom, under the false pretense that your fellow man has a heart of evil and a gun, not that the legislative/judiciary branch is almost completely unaccountable for the system they have created.

Imagine a company where the CEO could blame the employees for missing an earnings target by installing cameras on every worker until they find violations of company policy.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »

I don't mind AggregateDemand per se, but he doesn't half come out with some bonkers analogies.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »

In Austria (other than Vienna), no.

In the US: Yes.

I/O.

Why the difference?

Also, I strongly support such a policy.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »

I would settle for making it clear that the general public is allowed to film the police.

Exactly. We should be the ones with the cameras, and we should be pointing them at administrators and government officials. C-SPAN and so forth. Wire the entire police station and city hall. See what I care.

We already know what Darren Wilson did. A camera isn't going to add any clarity. The camera is for monitoring Michael Brown. No thanks. How many times have dash cams been used against defendants? How many times against the police? Get real people.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »

Because the "cool stuff" like rioting and police brutality only happens in Vienna (and maybe the other bigger cities).

The other 70% of Austria's cities are just boring and nothing happens there, which means the police officers spend most of their time fining drivers to death, so they can prop up the Police's cash balance. No police cams needed for that ... Tongue
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 02:38:10 PM »

Do the police in Alpine Austria wear skis?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »

I think we should be allowed, and far as I know we are, to film police officers, but the onus should NOT be on us to capture on film a cop beating someone down or fudging a report or shooting an unarmed person. There should be a visual record of everything they do while on duty. Too often they resort immediately to deadly force before they even know what the hell is going on.

You can google it, but there was a case a year or so ago of the cops (one female) molesting other women along the road in - you guessed it - Texas. A visual record of body searches along the road was used to terminate the cops, which is what should have happened. They were perverts and thugs. There was a similar case in Nevada where a cop molested a woman in family court and tried to arrest her for "false testimony against a police officer," which isn't even a crime. I don't know how that turned out, though. It was too infuriating for me to bother to follow up on.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »

Yes. I actually don't see how anyone besides crooked cops would see a downside to this.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »

Yes.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »

Can't think of a good reason why not. Should be a win-win.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 02:42:19 AM »

Do the police in Alpine Austria wear skis?

There are in fact ski areas that have a "skiing police", much like skiing areas in Italy, Switzerland and France have them.

They are looking for too fast, dangerous or boozed skiers on the slopes and are on patrol in front of restaurants where skis are stolen.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 03:01:56 AM »

Yes. I actually don't see how anyone besides crooked cops would see a downside to this.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »

If we were debating CCTV cameras everywhere to monitor our activities, we'd probably all be against. Attach the cameras to police officers and people are for video surveillance.

Microcosm for the US. Why settle for bad policy if we can create a dehumanizing social calamity?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies