Is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints a Protestant Sect?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:17:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints a Protestant Sect?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are Mormons Protestants, in your view?
(practicing) Christian: Yes

(practicing) Christian: No

non-Christian: Yes

non-Christian: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints a Protestant Sect?  (Read 8524 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
« edited: November 25, 2014, 07:26:35 PM by Frodo »

Let's hash it out.  And yes, I am assuming Mormons are Christians for the purpose of this poll...  
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »

I consider them distinct from Protestantism, but, if you must lump them somewhere, then Protestantism is more fitting than "Cathodoxlicanism." They're "Protestant" in the "if you're not Cathodox, you're Protestant" line of thinking, but that's about it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »

No,...just no....

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »

I consider them distinct from Protestantism, but, if you must lump them somewhere, then Protestantism is more fitting than "Cathodoxlicanism." They're "Protestant" in the "if you're not Cathodox, you're Protestant" line of thinking, but that's about it.

What's 'Cathodoxlicanism'?  Or did you just invent this word?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »

No. My definition of Protestantism includes that it is a non-Catholic Trinitarianism, and Mormon theology is not Trinitarian.  So while Mormons are Christian, they are not Protestant. Additionally, because of their belief in continuing revelation thru modern-day leaders, they lack the essential Protestant tenet of sola scriptura, even if one accepts the Book of Mormon as scripture.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:39:28 PM »

No, they don't hold common Protestant theologies, nor do they share a common Protestant history. If they're Christians, they're their own branch.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »

A Christian is one who follows the teachings of Jesus and believes him the Savior, with that in our name, it's a silly argument not to call us Christians.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:52:41 PM »

A Christian is one who follows the teachings of Jesus and believes him the Savior, with that in our name, it's a silly argument not to call us Christians.
Agreed, but the question being asked here isn't whether you are Christian, but are you Protestant, and for the reasons I gave earlier, I wouldn't call Mormons Protestants.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »

No, they don't hold common Protestant theologies, nor do they share a common Protestant history. If they're Christians, they're their own branch.

Mormon sotireology is not consistent with the orthodox Protestant (Calvinist or Arminian) views on grace. Plus they deny the Trinity. They are more towards a works based view of salvation rather than a grace based view. So no.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 01:12:48 AM »

What's 'Cathodoxlicanism'?  Or did you just invent this word?

No, I didn't make it up. It's a portmanteau of Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglicanism. They're the big three pre-Protestant Christian churches that are all fairly similar to each other, more so than they are to the vast majority of Protestant churches.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 01:37:59 AM »

well, the LDS movement unquestionably grew out of the equally-unquestionably protestant Second Great Awakening.  to that extent it is very much a child of a uniquely American protestantism.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 02:02:38 AM »

well, the LDS movement unquestionably grew out of the equally-unquestionably protestant Second Great Awakening.  to that extent it is very much a child of a uniquely American protestantism.

Yeah, but if by that logic Mormons are Protestants, Protestants are Catholics.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 02:14:18 AM »

Yeah, but if by that logic Mormons are Protestants, Protestants are Catholics.

right, I was just pointing out an error in DC's claim..  he may have been better served to say "Reformation History", as I've never seen the LDS look to Calvin or Luther et al as authorities or even great men of the church.  the Great Apostasy doctrine more or less any authorities from the death of the last Nephite in the 500s through Joseph Smith's revelation from Moroni in 1830.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »

No - strongly agnostic. I kind of agree with DC Al Fine here.

To me, Protestant describes the de-emphasis on Papal authority and traditions and emphasizes the Bible and New Testament only approach whose roots go back to the Lollards. What we call Protestantism surfaced in the 16th century. I don't consider the LDS Church to come out of that. I consider it its own thing, like a handful of others that are loosely Christian at best.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 11:38:03 AM »

Mormon sotireology is not consistent with the orthodox Protestant (Calvinist or Arminian) views on grace. Plus they deny the Trinity. They are more towards a works based view of salvation rather than a grace based view. So no.

This.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »

What's 'Cathodoxlicanism'?  Or did you just invent this word?

No, I didn't make it up. It's a portmanteau of Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglicanism. They're the big three pre-Protestant Christian churches that are all fairly similar to each other, more so than they are to the vast majority of Protestant churches.

Thanks!  Smiley

I meant no disrespect, just that the word appears in no dictionary (certainly not Merriam Webster).  Hence my inquiry as to whether you just made that word up.  
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 12:36:11 AM »

No. I would say Protestants are vastly closer to Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox then the Mormons in theology. In fact the distance between the Protestants and the Mormons is comparable to the gulf between the former and Islam.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 11:11:08 AM »

I agree that Mormonism belongs to a branch of Christianity distinct from Protestantism, Catholicism, and Orthodoxy, but I don't consider it popular or historically significant enough to warrant being a branch unto itself. Instead, I'd lump it, along with sects such as Christian Science and Jehovah's Witnesses, under the umbrella branch "Primitivism" or "Restorationism".
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »

"Restorationism" doesn't work, that refers to a distinct grouping of Protestant churches itself.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2014, 01:40:08 PM by Frodo »

"Restorationism" doesn't work, that refers to a distinct grouping of Protestant churches itself.

No, it doesn't.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »

The Anabaptists at Munster emphasized a lot of things.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 02:53:32 PM »

And "Christian primitivism" refers to the nondenominational attempt to return to the beliefs and practices of the early church. However, no other terms really recommend themselves. Perhaps "Christian Science Fiction"?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 01:43:40 PM »

No, Mormons are their own branch of Christianity.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »

I was responding to the implication that we might not be Christians, why would the OP put "let's assume" if there were no doubts?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 04:23:21 PM »

They're Restorationists along with the Seventh Day Adventists.

Although I think it's acceptable to lump Resorationists together with Protestants for the sake of simplicity.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies