Mississippi Gay Marriage ban overturned by federal judge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:59:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi Gay Marriage ban overturned by federal judge
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi Gay Marriage ban overturned by federal judge  (Read 757 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
« edited: November 25, 2014, 09:41:41 PM by Harry »

Judge overturns Mississippi same-sex marriage ban
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=n7U1F9hx

Granted, I'm sure the 5th Circuit will probably put a stay until it rules in a few weeks, but progress is progress.

Looks like John Oliver's prediction of Mississippi being #50 is WRONG!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »

Obviously I wouldn't normally display such a shameful symbol, but I think in this case its fun to twist the knife into the people who support this trashy flag.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »

Glorious news! Wouldn't surprise me if Georgia is #50, if only because it was (I think?) the last state to have a court case filed against the ban.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »

Glorious news! Wouldn't surprise me if Georgia is #50, if only because it was (I think?) the last state to have a court case filed against the ban.
That would be Nebraska, not Georgia.

The fifth circuit will obviously issue a stay, and seeing as it is more conservative than the 6th circuit, it will likely rule in favor of traditional marriage for both this and the TX/LA cases.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:09:27 PM »

Looks like the forces of equality are giving the bigots a good spanking across the fruited plain!
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 10:43:30 PM by CTRattlesnake »

Anti-climatic, was hoping for some drama from the deep south on this

Kind of like the Titanic getting hit with a cruise missile and sunk in 2 minutes rather than the grinding iceberg method that gave us such a great motion picture...

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »

The fifth circuit will obviously issue a stay, and seeing as it is more conservative than the 6th circuit, it will likely rule in favor of traditional marriage for both this and the TX/LA cases.

It's possible, but it's also very possible that the 5th Circuit will make it legal in all 3 states. Remember, it's not really a liberal/conservative thing anymore, it's just a matter of "Do the judges take their jobs SO unseriously that they'll let their personal bigotries override a very obvious legal decision?"

I have faith that the 5th circuit will do the right thing. Mainly because it's more like "I have faith that the 5th circuit won't do the egregiously wrong thing," but it's all the same.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »

Kind of like the Titanic getting hit with a cruise missile and sunk in 2 minutes rather than the grinding iceberg method that gave us such a great motion picture...

While having a governor do something like that seems unlikely, I am surprised there hasn't been cases of local county officials refusing to hand out licenses. But if something like that is going to happen, MS is just the right kind of state
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 11:24:47 PM »

I take it that you probably are not referring to either of the Titanic movies covered in these Nostalgia Critic reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI0stm7ZMqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPOTLu4vAY
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 12:27:25 AM »

While having a governor do something like that seems unlikely, I am surprised there hasn't been cases of local county officials refusing to hand out licenses. But if something like that is going to happen, MS is just the right kind of state
Sam Brownback is more or less doing that in Kansas.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 03:05:57 AM »

The 5th Circuit is now set to hear the Texas case on January 5th. I can really see this going either way.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 05:04:42 AM »

Ah, OK.

I remember trying to pressure a friend of mine to file the first case for out-of-state recognition back in 2008, after the ordeal they went through. They were one of the lucky ones who managed to get married in CA before Prop 8, and got everything taken care of out there - SSN updates and name changes.

When they came back to GA, my friend went to the DMV to get a license update. He made the mistake of mentioning what had happened at the counter; the DMV immediately refused to update his license (despite the fact that as far as the federal government was concerned, his name had been changed). They even called all of the DMVs in this part of the state to effectively "warn" them about this, as when he went to another DMV, they told him they had already been told about him and not to do it. Bigoted stuff.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »

More fabulous news!
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »

I would have thought Mississippi would be the last. I'm amazed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies