Is Putin trying to prop up Europe's Far-Right ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:45:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is Putin trying to prop up Europe's Far-Right ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Putin trying to prop up Europe's Far-Right ?  (Read 5749 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »

He's funding parts of the far right but if we are to be fair he also strangely attracts sympathies from the far left for shady reasons. Look at Corbyn's advisor Seamus Milne - a guy who moderated RT debate with Putin and wrote puff pieces about him for the Guardian. The same goes for George Galloway, or parts of the French sovereign Left, Tsipras threatening to prostitute himself to Putin, etc. That the far right in Europe is pro-Putinist is no surprise - he is their only source of funding and their only potential political and gepolitical ally in the modern world. But the communists? Weird.

Putin's objectives as such have to be reinterpreted. I think he wants to demonstrate that democracy doesn't work, or more precisely that the paradox between liberalism and democracy that the West has towed for the good part of 3 centuries now will unfold. He therefore supports any rank and file populist in the hope of destabilising Europe. 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 10:49:29 PM »

Russia is just returning to its status as the most conservative European power, which it has occupied most of its entire history (notably including assisting fight the 1848 uprisings) except for the strange 20th century aberration when it was far left. Ex KGB man Putin is probably the most moderate leader that is possible in Russia right now; if not him, an Orbanite would almost certainly be in charge.

As to why some of the far left love him; I think it's a mix of Cold War nostalgia and reflexive anti-Americanism. Like the far right, the far left prefer an authoritarian strongman over the capitalist decadence represented by the Anglosphere.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 08:03:35 AM »

Russia is just returning to its status as the most conservative European power, which it has occupied most of its entire history (notably including assisting fight the 1848 uprisings) except for the strange 20th century aberration when it was far left.
There is nothing particularly "conservative" about Russia under Putin except for the fact that Putin seeks to "conserve" his power.

Ex KGB man Putin is probably the most moderate leader that is possible in Russia right now; if not him, an Orbanite would almost certainly be in charge.

Ummm wut?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 08:07:50 AM »

He's funding parts of the far right but if we are to be fair he also strangely attracts sympathies from the far left for shady reasons. Look at Corbyn's advisor Seamus Milne - a guy who moderated RT debate with Putin and wrote puff pieces about him for the Guardian. The same goes for George Galloway, or parts of the French sovereign Left, Tsipras threatening to prostitute himself to Putin, etc. That the far right in Europe is pro-Putinist is no surprise - he is their only source of funding and their only potential political and gepolitical ally in the modern world. But the communists? Weird.

Putin's objectives as such have to be reinterpreted. I think he wants to demonstrate that democracy doesn't work, or more precisely that the paradox between liberalism and democracy that the West has towed for the good part of 3 centuries now will unfold. He therefore supports any rank and file populist in the hope of destabilising Europe. 

That doesn't seem surprising at all. Putin's Russia simultaneously postures as a conservative state acting in defence of Western civilisation against decadent liberalism and the spiritual (and diplomatic) inheritor of the Soviet Union's legacy, standing against "Western imperialism" and "fascism".
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 09:33:23 AM »

I'm curious to see how this develops, if PutinTrump begins to cast himself as a defender of "the real Europe", "a Europe of Europeans, of traditions, of values, etc". That would be interesting. I would say that none of them would manage to win an election, but we already have Orban, don't we? I mean, the Hungarians, of all people. You'd think they'd be the last to entertain this sort of thing.
Lol
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »

I'm curious to see how this develops, if PutinTrump begins to cast himself as a defender of "the real Europe", "a Europe of Europeans, of traditions, of values, etc". That would be interesting. I would say that none of them would manage to win an election, but we already have Orban, don't we? I mean, the Hungarians, of all people. You'd think they'd be the last to entertain this sort of thing.
Lol
Please stay in 2016 and don't start polluting this board as well. Thanks.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 12:47:28 PM »

Lol

European Civilisation? Trump has the taste of a newly wealthy Chinese mining magnate, not a potential standard-bearer of three millennia of Western Civilisation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2016, 12:52:32 PM »

That's kind of offensive to Chinese mining magnates.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2016, 12:57:16 PM »

That's kind of offensive to Chinese mining magnates.

Fair point. The next step down would have been "Iranian crony import-export tycoon".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies