Is Putin trying to prop up Europe's Far-Right ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:20:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is Putin trying to prop up Europe's Far-Right ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is Putin trying to prop up Europe's Far-Right ?  (Read 5748 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »

The leader of Austria’s right-wing Freedom Party (FPÖ), Heinz-Christian Strache, is in Moscow for a discussion on “overcoming the crisis in Europe”.

This comes amid speculation as to whether the FPÖ might have received financial support from Russia, after a Moscow strategy paper seen by German media revealed that Russian President Vladimir Putin has been advised to influence Europe through right-wing populist parties including Alternative für Deutschland (AfD).

The round-table discussion is being chaired by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

(...)

After France’s far-right National Front party admitted to securing a €9 million Russian bank loan in what appears to be a Kremlin bet on the future of French politics, Austrian newspapers speculated as to whether the FPÖ might also have benefited financially from its open support for Putin. Gudenus immediately denied this.

http://www.thelocal.at/20141125/right-wing-freedom-party-visits-moscow-for-talks
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »

Russian loans have also funded Golden Dawn, the Northern League, Jobbik and Vlaams Belang. All of those parties (minus Dawn and plus the FPO) were invited to oversee the Crimea referendum.

I think the only bunch of nasties without a close relationship with the Kremlin are the Scandinavian ones - the DPP, the Finns and SD. Even Farage said that Putin was a great leader.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2014, 01:19:52 PM by politicus »

DPP deputy chairman Søren Espersen has said some remarkably pro-Putin remarks, and their MEP Morten Messerschmidt sees Russia as a safeguard against Islamism.

A couple of dozen Swedish right wing extremists (and a handfull Danes) are fighting as volunteers in Ukrainian militias, but among the "mainline" right wing populists in Denmark the tendency is definitely more pro-Russian than in the general population.

Also:

"Is it not this genuinely national starting point that determines Putin's response to Ukraine's attempt to blow up the national community, which throughout history has existed between Russia and Ukraine?
If the EU - and now NATO - presents itself in Ukraine to lure this Russian-oriented province to denounce and put away the Russia, they have belonged to throughout history, is it strange  that Russia is unrelenting? "

Søren Krarup, DPPs chief ideologue.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 03:24:19 PM »

Don't forget another noted Putin fan:

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »

Not to mention the Bulgarian far right. Their leader gave Putin birthday gifts for christ sakes.

Also to be fair, a handful of mainstream politicians are Putin shills. Gerhard Schroder comes to mind.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »

So useful idiots are making a comeback, this time as right-wingers. lol.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »

They are not necessarily idiots, the Putin regime is a valuable ally for them and the ideological difference between Putin and some of those groups is negligible.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 02:20:06 PM »

Apparently, the Russian loan for the FN was 40 Mio. € (Le Pen denies it) and not just 9 Mio. €

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/40m-of-russian-cash-will-allow-marine-le-pens-front-national-to-take-advantage-of-rivals-woes-in-upcoming-regional-and-presidential-elections-9888509.html
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »

They are not necessarily idiots, the Putin regime is a valuable ally for them and the ideological difference between Putin and some of those groups is negligible.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 11:15:41 PM »

The irony!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »

The "degenerate, decadent Western society" tactic is slightly amusing and worrying at the same time- as I've seen a few people (and think highly of) I know express a degree of agreement with it. It's amusing in that while the Russians are now peddling right-wing nonsense when they spent most of the last century peddling left-wing nonsense, the general theme of the "degenerate, decadent Western society" is still there, but it's now the "degenerate, decadent Western immoral society" where it used to be the "degenerate, decadent Western bourgeois society". Or so is my impression of things, I don't know, I'm not an expert.

Something like this came up in a lecture of mine the other day, actually, I think. While "Putinism" might not energise university students or left-wing intellectuals the way Marxism did, it allows for things like Russia-I.R. Iran relations to exist, whereas they would have been impossible under the Soviet Union considering the Islamic Republic's inherent fear and intolerance for communism. It allows them to make friends they couldn't have before.

I'm curious to see how this develops, if Putin begins to cast himself as a defender of "the real Europe", "a Europe of Europeans, of traditions, of values, etc". That would be interesting. I would say that none of them would manage to win an election, but we already have Orban, don't we? I mean, the Hungarians, of all people. You'd think they'd be the last to entertain this sort of thing.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »

Bump. Does anyone know exactly what parties have been bankrolled by the Kremlin? I've seen many party names, but I don't know whether some of these are just "possibilities" or that it's pretty clear. The only thing I know for (quite) sure is that Front National has had a "loan" from the Russian government, right?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »

The only thing I know for (quite) sure is that Front National has had a "loan" from the Russian government, right?

There is something very ironic about this all.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 12:50:52 PM »

Orban is somewhat of a different story, though you might be right. I didn't really intend to include Eastern European countries though.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 08:57:05 PM »

Bump for Trump
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 01:46:44 AM »

Well duh. I thought it was common knowledge by now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 06:12:14 AM »

It's been obvious for a long time.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 06:15:10 AM »

Orban is somewhat of a different story, though you might be right. I didn't really intend to include Eastern European countries though.

I remember unproven, but persistent rumours about the Kremlin may be aiding League of Polish Families (hard anti-EU right) and Samoobrona (not really left or right, more an eclectic populist movement). Both were noticeably pro-Russian.

It may sounds silly that Putin would prefer PiS, given their anti-Russian behavior, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kremlin preferred to have a hostlie Polish government than friendly one (regimes likes to have external enemies).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 06:11:55 AM »

I remember unproven, but persistent rumours about the Kremlin may be aiding League of Polish Families (hard anti-EU right) and Samoobrona (not really left or right, more an eclectic populist movement). Both were noticeably pro-Russian.

It may sounds silly that Putin would prefer PiS, given their anti-Russian behavior, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kremlin preferred to have a hostlie Polish government than friendly one (regimes likes to have external enemies).
I don't think PO would be any less anti-Russian, and because of the fact that they are seen as a constructive player in the EU, they could get much more done in a European context than PiS, who seek to counteract European integration and are seen as troublemakers. It makes sense for Putin to prefer a PiS government over a PO government, strategically.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 11:52:33 AM »

I don't think PO would be any less anti-Russian, and because of the fact that they are seen as a constructive player in the EU, they could get much more done in a European context than PiS, who seek to counteract European integration and are seen as troublemakers. It makes sense for Putin to prefer a PiS government over a PO government, strategically.

You're absolutely right. The difference is that PO carries more clout in Europe (which Kremlin doesn't like), while PiS is really, really vocal (which Kremlin loves).
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 01:20:31 PM »

You're absolutely right. The difference is that PO carries more clout in Europe (which Kremlin doesn't like), while PiS is really, really vocal (which Kremlin loves).

On the other hand some neocon publicists recently started to claim that inside PiS camp and people who are responsible for foreign affairs - especially those who work/write about "East" there is some noticeable minor (but still) shift towards so called "kresowiackie" or "neo-kresowiackie" (in contrary to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giedroyc_Doctrine) positions, usually in Poland until now used by not mainstream right wing parties, paleonationaldemocrats and other nationalists and mildly by some minor groups inside PSL. This approach usually has as its consequence anti-Ukrainism (?) and generally some negative feeling toward nations living in countries neighboring with Poland on the East. Needless to say that usually those who support such approach are also often pro-Russian. Everything depends on what path PiS will chose and how much more popular such approach will become.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »

On the other hand some neocon publicists recently started to claim that inside PiS camp and people who are responsible for foreign affairs - especially those who work/write about "East" there is some noticeable minor (but still) shift towards so called "kresowiackie" or "neo-kresowiackie" (in contrary to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giedroyc_Doctrine) positions, usually in Poland until now used by not mainstream right wing parties, paleonationaldemocrats and other nationalists and mildly by some minor groups inside PSL. This approach usually has as its consequence anti-Ukrainism (?) and generally some negative feeling toward nations living in countries neighboring with Poland on the East. Needless to say that usually those who support such approach are also often pro-Russian. Everything depends on what path PiS will chose and how much more popular such approach will become.
Have Poles/has Polish public opinion been warming up to Russia during the Ukraine crisis, or not at all?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 02:48:16 PM »

A little bit. Many people, also supporters of PiS in terms of interfering into Ukrainian affairs are often against supporting Ukraine financially/military. Also there is pretty strong sentiment (negative one) about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Insurgent_Army and role of II World War nationalist organisations in modern Ukrainian state "politics of memory" (many Poles consider UPA, Stepan Bandera, Roman Shukhevych etc. as equal to Hitler so imagine how they react on that). Media are of course not helping to ease tensions down, especially those right wing/far-right (also left-wing but they are not influential). Maybe people who cares about it are not starting immediately love Putin's Russia but often they tend to follow media coverage and interpretation close to these which we can find on RT or Sputnik.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies