Is Putin trying to prop up Europe's Far-Right ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:48:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is Putin trying to prop up Europe's Far-Right ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Putin trying to prop up Europe's Far-Right ?  (Read 5788 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: October 06, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »

Bump. Does anyone know exactly what parties have been bankrolled by the Kremlin? I've seen many party names, but I don't know whether some of these are just "possibilities" or that it's pretty clear. The only thing I know for (quite) sure is that Front National has had a "loan" from the Russian government, right?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:50:52 PM »

Orban is somewhat of a different story, though you might be right. I didn't really intend to include Eastern European countries though.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 06:11:55 AM »

Orban is somewhat of a different story, though you might be right. I didn't really intend to include Eastern European countries though.

I remember unproven, but persistent rumours about the Kremlin may be aiding League of Polish Families (hard anti-EU right) and Samoobrona (not really left or right, more an eclectic populist movement). Both were noticeably pro-Russian.

It may sounds silly that Putin would prefer PiS, given their anti-Russian behavior, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kremlin preferred to have a hostlie Polish government than friendly one (regimes likes to have external enemies).
I don't think PO would be any less anti-Russian, and because of the fact that they are seen as a constructive player in the EU, they could get much more done in a European context than PiS, who seek to counteract European integration and are seen as troublemakers. It makes sense for Putin to prefer a PiS government over a PO government, strategically.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »

On the other hand some neocon publicists recently started to claim that inside PiS camp and people who are responsible for foreign affairs - especially those who work/write about "East" there is some noticeable minor (but still) shift towards so called "kresowiackie" or "neo-kresowiackie" (in contrary to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giedroyc_Doctrine) positions, usually in Poland until now used by not mainstream right wing parties, paleonationaldemocrats and other nationalists and mildly by some minor groups inside PSL. This approach usually has as its consequence anti-Ukrainism (?) and generally some negative feeling toward nations living in countries neighboring with Poland on the East. Needless to say that usually those who support such approach are also often pro-Russian. Everything depends on what path PiS will chose and how much more popular such approach will become.
Have Poles/has Polish public opinion been warming up to Russia during the Ukraine crisis, or not at all?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 08:03:35 AM »

Russia is just returning to its status as the most conservative European power, which it has occupied most of its entire history (notably including assisting fight the 1848 uprisings) except for the strange 20th century aberration when it was far left.
There is nothing particularly "conservative" about Russia under Putin except for the fact that Putin seeks to "conserve" his power.

Ex KGB man Putin is probably the most moderate leader that is possible in Russia right now; if not him, an Orbanite would almost certainly be in charge.

Ummm wut?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »

I'm curious to see how this develops, if PutinTrump begins to cast himself as a defender of "the real Europe", "a Europe of Europeans, of traditions, of values, etc". That would be interesting. I would say that none of them would manage to win an election, but we already have Orban, don't we? I mean, the Hungarians, of all people. You'd think they'd be the last to entertain this sort of thing.
Lol
Please stay in 2016 and don't start polluting this board as well. Thanks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies