GOP Mulls Not Inviting Obama to Give State of the Union
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:32:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Mulls Not Inviting Obama to Give State of the Union
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOP Mulls Not Inviting Obama to Give State of the Union  (Read 5379 times)
KCDem

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://politicalwire.com/2014/11/26/gop-mulls-not-inviting-obama-to-give-state-of-the-union/

LOL. Joke party!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »

But we're winning Smiley

Gov. Rick Scott haha
KCDem

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:04:17 PM »

But we're winning Smiley

Gov. Rick Scott haha

So did Hitler...

...temporarily... Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »

Great way to look like huge jackasses.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 04:22:18 PM »

The GOP is clearly mentally ill.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »

Good.  Then he can give a speech from the Oval by himself, where no one can interrupt him by yelling "you lie!," where no one can be on camera remaining in their seat in opposition when he says something they disagree with, and where he can talk about policy initiatives as Congress remains invisible.  Way to punish the prez!  Splendid idea guys, keep 'em comin'. 

KCDem

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »

Good.  Then he can give a speech from the Oval by himself, where no one can interrupt him by yelling "you lie!," where no one can be on camera remaining in their seat in opposition when he says something they disagree with, and where he can talk about policy initiatives as Congress remains invisible.  Way to punish the prez!  Splendid idea guys, keep 'em comin'. 

Except the media won't cover it because it's "too political."
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »

Such a troll move, hah.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »

Good.  Then he can give a speech from the Oval by himself, where no one can interrupt him by yelling "you lie!," where no one can be on camera remaining in their seat in opposition when he says something they disagree with, and where he can talk about policy initiatives as Congress remains invisible.  Way to punish the prez!  Splendid idea guys, keep 'em comin'.  

Except the media won't cover it because it's "too political."

True, the networks didn't air his immigration speech.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »

Idiots. 
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »

This should happen, and he can deliver it live from the steps of the Capitol
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »

I have mixed feelings.  The Kantian in me disapproves.  The Jeffersonian approves.  

What do we really get out of it?  I think it is mostly a drinking game, and I wonder if it really has any other practical application besides being mostly a drinking game.  I think it's unfortunate if the narrow-minded members of the Republican congress are the ones who end the tradition, but I'm not altogether against ending it.  I guess I would prefer if it were the president himself who ended the tradition. 

"The state of the union is strong..."  (applause)  "It is the citizens of this great nation, the greatest nation there ever was, that makes it strong..."  (applause)  "We will make Washington a better place..." (applause)  Rah!  Rah!  Rah!  Go USA.  We're number one  (applause)  Thank you and God Bless America.  (applause)

I would much prefer that the congress and the president actually work for a living, rather than making soundbites.  I just wish it was Obama who ended it, and that would please the Jeffersonian in me.  But if some unnamed GOP operatives are putting out (for political reasons) in a little-read publication to see if it gets any traction, and if the tradition ends that way, it will have been for the wrong reasons, and that offends the Kantian in me.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »

Nothing would make Obama any happier, it would be the ultimate Jedi Mind Trick if he can get them to do that but I doubt Boehner is that stupid.

That being said, the chances of another GOP heckler during the speech is very very high
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »

The GOP is not that stupid.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »

Never underestimate the stupidity of Republicans.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »

I have mixed feelings.  The Kantian in me disapproves.  The Jeffersonian approves.  

What do we really get out of it?  I think it is mostly a drinking game, and I wonder if it really has any other practical application besides being mostly a drinking game.  I think it's unfortunate if the narrow-minded members of the Republican congress are the ones who end the tradition, but I'm not altogether against ending it.  I guess I would prefer if it were the president himself who ended the tradition. 

"The state of the union is strong..."  (applause)  "It is the citizens of this great nation, the greatest nation there ever was, that makes it strong..."  (applause)  "We will make Washington a better place..." (applause)  Rah!  Rah!  Rah!  Go USA.  We're number one  (applause)  Thank you and God Bless America.  (applause)

I would much prefer that the congress and the president actually work for a living, rather than making soundbites.  I just wish it was Obama who ended it, and that would please the Jeffersonian in me.  But if some unnamed GOP operatives are putting out (for political reasons) in a little-read publication to see if it gets any traction, and if the tradition ends that way, it will have been for the wrong reasons, and that offends the Kantian in me.

The SOTU needs an overhaul, but I thought it was Constitutionally mandated that "the President shall report to Congress on the state of the union" or something like that.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »

But we're winning Smiley

Gov. Rick Scott haha

Except in Presidential years (when it really matters).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 07:14:50 PM »

The SOTU needs an overhaul, but I thought it was Constitutionally mandated that "the President shall report to Congress on the state of the union" or something like that.

It is mandated...and for over 100 years it was done by a written message to Congress, not a speech.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »

No doubt, the Framers thought that an assessment of the state of the union was in order.  Article 2 section 3 states the following:

"He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper; he shall receive ambassadors and other public ministers; he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, and shall commission all the officers of the United States."

That does not strike me as the equivalent of what the modern presidents do.  I respectfully submit that a serious originalist president could refuse the whole pomp/circumstance affair altogether.  This, in fact, is what Jefferson did, and his rather under-the-radar tradition was maintained for at least a century.

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 07:39:49 PM »

Have a good look America: you've fired the Principal and put the Kindergartners in charge of the school.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »

The GOP will invite him. This is just inside baseball and venting by a few angry people.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »

It's a dumb move because it calls attention to a speech that is typically ignored.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »

One thing this indicates is that the GOP are kind of grasping to find some way to respond. They know shut down and impeachment aren't good, they cant defund it and a lawsuit will likely fail so what can they do?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 08:55:40 PM »

Just another empty threat. If they did, Obama would just give the SOTU from the White House.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »

Will the Southern members of Congress stand at the door to block him if he tries to walk in?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies