GOP Mulls Not Inviting Obama to Give State of the Union (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:28:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Mulls Not Inviting Obama to Give State of the Union (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP Mulls Not Inviting Obama to Give State of the Union  (Read 5414 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« on: November 26, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »

I have mixed feelings.  The Kantian in me disapproves.  The Jeffersonian approves.  

What do we really get out of it?  I think it is mostly a drinking game, and I wonder if it really has any other practical application besides being mostly a drinking game.  I think it's unfortunate if the narrow-minded members of the Republican congress are the ones who end the tradition, but I'm not altogether against ending it.  I guess I would prefer if it were the president himself who ended the tradition. 

"The state of the union is strong..."  (applause)  "It is the citizens of this great nation, the greatest nation there ever was, that makes it strong..."  (applause)  "We will make Washington a better place..." (applause)  Rah!  Rah!  Rah!  Go USA.  We're number one  (applause)  Thank you and God Bless America.  (applause)

I would much prefer that the congress and the president actually work for a living, rather than making soundbites.  I just wish it was Obama who ended it, and that would please the Jeffersonian in me.  But if some unnamed GOP operatives are putting out (for political reasons) in a little-read publication to see if it gets any traction, and if the tradition ends that way, it will have been for the wrong reasons, and that offends the Kantian in me.

The SOTU needs an overhaul, but I thought it was Constitutionally mandated that "the President shall report to Congress on the state of the union" or something like that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies