Who is opebo?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:12:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who is opebo?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who is opebo?  (Read 5625 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »

If he were a Republican it would not have been quite as surprising--more than a few good posters have been banned because their political ideologies are too sympathetic to the GOP

Has this actually ever happened?

Maybe sympathetic to the very, very far GOP right ala StatesRights.

I thought StatesRights left on his own, no?

I thought I read he was banned.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.  I was not around much the time between I last remember him being a regular and noticing he was no longer with us.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »

jmfcst ... clearly wasn't banned for being a conservative...

it is not clear to me.  What is precisely clear to me is that he made enemies with his annoying tendency to defend all manner of policies by quoting the bible and putting down those who disagree.  Sometimes when posters get banned there's an outcry, and one or more of the moderators feel the need to explain the ban.  This happened with opebo as well.  They have, then, to come up with a reason fit for public consumption.  This reason will never be because of one's politics, so don't waste time looking for it. 

opebo was also banned over his ideology, in a very real way, although this is not the reason given when some posters demanded to know more.  In the cases of jmfcst and opebo moderators could easily find enough reason to support banning them, so it's an easy tale to tell without resorting to admitting that they just don't like them or the ideologies that they stand for.  They both did enough crazy and offensive stuff to make it easy to ban with a clear conscience, if you are the sort of person who can consider banning a legitimate response to anything.  I think basically all banning is over ideological disagreement, at least on some level, which is part of the reason I'm against it in all cases. 

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 11:04:24 PM »

The simple reason that opebo got banned was that he pulled the "how can you possibly think that what I posted/put in my signature had anything to do with sex" stunt once too many times.  He either was utterly clueless about how others viewed what he posted or more likely he thought he was such a fixture of this forum that he would only ever get slaps on the wrist rather than an outright ban.

Jmfcst's ultimate ban was a bit of a mess.  His initial muting was due primarily to a number of unresolved reports of his posts on some of our less policed boards getting resolved all the same time (and also rather harshly in my opinion).  However, his response to what one could argue was a bit of overenthusiastic moderating was basically to say, "If you're gonna mute or ban me for that chickenscratch, I'll give you something worth being punished for."  If he hadn't gone ballistic, I think he'd probably still be here.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 11:22:16 PM »

But are there any examples? Other than jmfcst, who pretty clearly wasn't banned for being a conservative...
^^^^^^^^^^
jmfcst was given extra special leniency because of his nutter convictions. American religious nutterism being such a prevalent political position, it was thought by the Mod Squad that it ought to be represented (and there really was/is no other poster who fit the bill) here.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 12:20:55 AM »

The most charismatic person ever to grace these lands
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 12:30:57 AM »

Jmfcst's ultimate ban was a bit of a mess.  His initial muting was due primarily to a number of unresolved reports of his posts on some of our less policed boards getting resolved all the same time (and also rather harshly in my opinion).  However, his response to what one could argue was a bit of overenthusiastic moderating was basically to say, "If you're gonna mute or ban me for that chickenscratch, I'll give you something worth being punished for."  If he hadn't gone ballistic, I think he'd probably still be here.

You're also skipping the part where he locked himself out of his account on purpose because he thought he spent too much time here, then made a sock account to come back, then pleaded with Dave to get his original account open again, before getting up to 100 points again for his actual banning.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »

But are there any examples? Other than jmfcst, who pretty clearly wasn't banned for being a conservative...
^^^^^^^^^^
jmfcst was given extra special leniency because of his nutter convictions. American religious nutterism being such a prevalent political position, it was thought by the Mod Squad that it ought to be represented (and there really was/is no other poster who fit the bill) here.

Nope. What is true is that there is a reluctance to ban long term posters, particularly those with a following who contribute something, except as a last resort. That is certainly true of myself, and I think of Nym. One's interests or views, if within the terms of use, are, and should be, absolutely irrelevant, be it about religion, or ideology, or otherwise.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »

I wasn't here for jmf, but I was for some of his socks, and they were a hoot.

With opebo they just got tired of him. Sex, prostitution, something he allegedly posted on another forum was a big one as I recall, and they even took to uprooting comments from a number of years ago. They just got tired of him, so find a reason - or a bunch of minor reasons that will add up - and he's gone. You could say it was ideology, but to me it was about personality.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »

Regarding Opebo's prostitution thing, wasn't there something about him linking to a site which had some of that, and we didn't want it on the forum because Dave wanted this website to remain available in schools and universities? (Same deal with the signatures too?)

Or am I mistaken...

No.  Other people took it upon themselves to post things he wrote about prostitution from another board.  Yea, real appropriate stuff from our gaggle of Web Detectives over here at Atlas. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 05:54:47 PM »

With opebo they just got tired of him. Sex, prostitution, something he allegedly posted on another forum was a big one as I recall, and they even took to uprooting comments from a number of years ago. They just got tired of him, so find a reason - or a bunch of minor reasons that will add up - and he's gone. You could say it was ideology, but to me it was about personality.

Personality?  Ideology?  What's the difference? 

"My personality enjoys getting a thorough rub by young girls, and I don't mind admitting I'd old enough that I have to pay for it." 

"My ideology is that it is perfectly acceptable, commendable even, if I get a thorough rubbing from young girls, because doing such things is healthy and natural."

It's all in the spin, really.  One man's personality is another man's ideology.

Anyway, the general consensus about the "other board" bothers me a bit.  Expelling a member over something that was posted in another board?  I'd like to think our moderators are above that.  Still, I was gone when it happened and by the time I got back it was old news so what do I know?

Signatures?!  Those can be turned off.  I know I have mine turned off.  Well, I generally keep that feature turned off.  Once in a while I turn that feature on just to see what some folks are talking about, but then I see something horrible like a gay gladiator vomiting rainbows or Hillary Clinton as The Moon, so I turn it right back off.  I'm really astonished to see someone with as broad a worldview as Torie, or someone as intelligent as Ernest, getting riled up over a signature.  Then again, I have no idea what that signature was.  Nor do I want to.  Every time I turn the signature feature on it turns my stomach. 

(yours is okay, by the way.  "Medieval dude with a mullet" is sort of weird, but I'm guessing that it isn't the weirdest thing about you.)

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 09:20:15 PM »

There an important externality overlooked in the opebo banning, and that is Leip's use of Google Ads as a partial funding mechanism for the Atlas. When links to opebo's past from other boards appeared, those links triggered a response from Google. Google was not going to advertise where those links existed. That brought Leip into the discussion, and in the end it's his Atlas, not ours.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 10:15:59 PM »

Google was not going to advertise where those links existed.

Quite succinctly stated, and I suppose you're right.  We sometimes lose sight of the power of the almighty dollar and its power over the decisions we make.  I say this without sarcasm or hypocrisy.  I appreciate your succinct explanation of the phenomenon of expulsion, because it is logical.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »

This is delicious irony!  After responding to muon's post, the very next time I logged into the Dave Leip's Atlas I had this message page:

An ad for mail order brides.  Prostitution sanitized and legitimized.  You have to on some level appreciate the intellectual honesty of the good old-fashioned streetwalking Thai hooker.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »

Personality?  Ideology?  What's the difference? 

"My personality enjoys getting a thorough rub by young girls, and I don't mind admitting I'd old enough that I have to pay for it." 

"My ideology is that it is perfectly acceptable, commendable even, if I get a thorough rubbing from young girls, because doing such things is healthy and natural."

It's all in the spin, really.  One man's personality is another man's ideology.

Anyway, the general consensus about the "other board" bothers me a bit. 

Yeah, I agree - it's equally petty if you're inclined to look at it that way, and I am. I mean we're pretty lax here. We allow attack threads, troll threads, a guy to post details about his laziness and horrible eating habits for everyone's amusement as well as mine I admit, and so on - none of which bother me, mind you. In fact, I find it all entertaining. It's kind of a break to post here. So it seemed funny to me when they zeroed in on this guy who looks like he was around since the early days, and now all of a sudden we have to rid ourselves of him. Didn't sit well with me. "So get what you can get on him, boys, he's atta here." That's how it struck me.

(yours is okay, by the way.  "Medieval dude with a mullet" is sort of weird, but I'm guessing that it isn't the weirdest thing about you.)

Ha, maybe not. My weirdness is pretty benign, though (like coaching the TV during a football game).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »

He was the best of us.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »

Joke?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »

There an important externality overlooked in the opebo banning, and that is Leip's use of Google Ads as a partial funding mechanism for the Atlas. When links to opebo's past from other boards appeared, those links triggered a response from Google. Google was not going to advertise where those links existed. That brought Leip into the discussion, and in the end it's his Atlas, not ours.

It wasn't opebo who put those links up -- it was Gully, in a concerted, and unfortunately successful, effort to try to ban opebo.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »

It wasn't opebo who put those links up -- it was Gully, in a concerted, and unfortunately successful, effort to try to ban opebo.

^^^
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »

I remember outrage with him (Gully), but I figured he was just being an a-hole. That, though, assuming it is true, is not only underhanded and miserable, but something that really should have been punished.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2014, 09:41:27 AM »

^^^

Even muon fell for Gully's shenanigans?  Sad
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »

^^^

Even muon fell for Gully's shenanigans?  Sad

My quote did not say who put up the links, since that was irrelevant to Google's action from what I could see. To the extent that Gully's "outing" of opebo caused a higher-level chain reaction, then he was successful.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »

Opebo was not the poster we needed, but the one we deserved. So, we hunted him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful molestor. A red-avatered knight.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »

Short answer: No
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »

Atlas Forum Shrugged.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length