Could an atheist or person w/no religon be elected president in this country? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:47:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Could an atheist or person w/no religon be elected president in this country? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could an atheist or person w/no religon be elected president in this country?  (Read 15791 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: April 13, 2004, 12:11:50 AM »

Lincoln was non-religious. Andrew Johnson was non religious as well.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 07:36:50 AM »

I do not believe their is a true faith called "atheism" because I believe deep down most people believe in a God Creator. In my book about presidents every president is listed as having a religion except Andrew Johnson who had no known religion.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 10:19:16 AM »

So you believe in absolutely no creator. When you die everything goes black. The end. You are in a small minority, and being as 90% of Americans express a belief in God, I do not see an atheist being president anytime soon.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 11:00:28 AM »

Actually, it wasn't common for people to believe the Earth was flat. The Church knew and preached a round earth.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 11:23:24 AM »

Is.11:12 - He will set up a banner for the nations,
And will assemble the outcasts of Israel,
And gather together the dispersed of Judah,
From the four corners of the earth. (Where is the earth flat comment?)

Is.40:22 - It is HE who sits above the circle (?flat? StRts) of the earth, And its inabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

Ezek.7:2 - An end! The end has come upon the four corners of the land.

Mt.4:8 - Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.

Lk.4:5 - Same as Matthew, I'm not retyping it.

Rev.1:17, 7:1 - 1:17 Has no reference to the earth at ALL.
7:1 refers to the four corners.

I dont see where you are getting "The earth is flat" thing from. The four corners are the edges of the "known world".

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 12:00:36 PM »

Your arguments are weak. Haven't you ever heard the expression, "Coming from the four corners of the earth"?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 02:01:24 PM »

Also a compass could be the four corners as my wife just reminded me.

N
             l
        W-   -E
             l
             S
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 02:03:30 PM »

To keep this from becoming a theism/atheism discussion ( I can give you a good message board for that), let's get back on topic.

I once heard that John Quincy Adams was an atheist, but that was prolly wrong, heh.

I believe an atheist could be elected President, if he clearly showed he was big on national security and state's rights (not trying to impose any strange atheist policies  onto the states Wink. )

The majority of US folks may believe in a deity, but I don't think a good candidate running for office who didn't have a religion would be tremendously hurt by it.

Most of the people that lived in the previous two centuries and were farmers would be considered diests. They lived on their farm, they were largely isolated. They believed in a God but they often did NOT go to a organized church. They believed God gave them support in keeping their land bountiful. Almost a paganistic type of deal.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 02:12:39 PM »

Yes it was rather common. Most of this religious renewal we have now was due to the Post-Prohibition era. Well in this country at least.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies