Why didn't the Democrats run more aggressively on the economy this year? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:27:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why didn't the Democrats run more aggressively on the economy this year? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why didn't the Democrats run more aggressively on the economy this year?  (Read 4235 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: November 27, 2014, 03:23:18 PM »

As Deus Naturae pointed out, median household income is still below its prerecession peak. Of course, the typical voter isn't looking at statistics when they decide how the economy is doing. It's more of a personal feeling.

Your average white, working class voter just isn't that impressed. There was a nasty recession. He probably faced a cut in hours or benefits even if he didn't lose his job. Meanwhile cost of day to day items (as opposed to durable goods) has increased quite a bit. However, things aren't quite so bleak as they used to be. His friends and neighbours are finding jobs again and some of them are decent paying. He might be seeing raises for the first time in a long while.

What does that guy think of the economy? He might be optimistic, but he sure doesn't think its booming. If the Democrats were acting like its 1996, it'd come off as tone deaf.

Yeah, that's the status quo argument that's been getting used for years and is why Democrats are still getting hammered. Right-wing policies drove the country off of a cliff. The argument shouldn't be "is the economy better in every metric than it was before the Recession started?"; it should be "How much better is the economy now when compared to where it was after conservatives ran it off a cliff?".

C'mon Griff, you know better than to suggest that a politician run against things that happened 5+ years ago. Let me guess, you think Carter should have spent the 1980 election talking about Watergate Roll Eyes
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »

3-something. I supported regulating wall street, I have been railing against big oil for almost a decade, big agra on subsidies and big business in general on immigration. I also support raising the minimum wage in conjunction with a likwise increase in EITC, medicaid expansion (though the program has long term structural problems that need to be fixed)...

The problem on here unfortunately is that many posters argue against the GOP platform rather than the conservative they're talking to. I can't tell you how many times Link said something like "but conservatives don't believe in government action" to me back when he was still here.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »

3-something. I supported regulating wall street, I have been railing against big oil for almost a decade, big agra on subsidies and big business in general on immigration. I also support raising the minimum wage in conjunction with a likwise increase in EITC, medicaid expansion (though the program has long term structural problems that need to be fixed)...

The problem on here unfortunately is that many posters argue against the GOP platform rather than the conservative they're talking to. I can't tell you how many times Link said something like "but conservatives don't believe in government action" to me back when he was still here.

I don't keep a notebook of the policy positions of everyone who posts on here.

Policy positions my foot.  You've been here for years. You ought to know that Yankee =/= Rush Limbaugh.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies