Will Estonia join Nordic Council within the next 50 years (as full member)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:42:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will Estonia join Nordic Council within the next 50 years (as full member)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Will Estonia join Nordic Council within the next 50 years (as full member)?  (Read 5225 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
« edited: November 28, 2014, 01:54:53 PM by TDAS04 »

Well?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2014, 01:29:18 PM by politicus »

No, it would make the problem we already have with Finns de facto not being a part of the Scandinavian linguistic community even harder. The linguistic community is one of the pillars of the Nordic Council (even if its increasingly a fiction).

(forever is a long time, so I am talking about the next 50 years or so - if you really mean ever, that is impossible to answer)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »

No, it would make the problem we already have with Finns de facto not being a part of the Scandinavian linguistic community even harder. The linguistic community is one of the pillars of the Nordic Council (even if its increasingly a fiction).

(forever is a long time, so I am talking about the next 50 years or so - if you really mean ever, that is impossible to answer)

Though Estonia's population is pretty small.

Anyway, I'll adjust the wording of the question to "next 50 years".
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »

Though Estonia's population is pretty small.

Anyway, I'll adjust the wording of the question to "next 50 years".
Yes but the population of the Nordic countries are also quite small. politicus do bring up the language element, here we have to remember that Finland have Swedish as one of its official languages and all Finnish children learn Swedish in school, Faroese, Greenlanders and Icelanders who also don't speak languages which is mutual intelligible with the Swedish-Danish-Norwegian (Bokmål) language community (East Scandinavian), learn Danish in their schools.

While a Estonian are more likely to learn East Scandinavian (in this context mostly Swedish) than most other people around the world, it's still a very small minority who learn it (3% of Estonian students). So while the Estonians feel a close relationship toward the Nordic Countries and the Nordic Countries are very friendly toward Estonia, something is lacking and Estonia are by all other Nordic Countries other than Finland seen as a Baltic country, not a Nordic one.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 03:02:07 PM »

Since they are all part of Schengen and the EEA, is there anything the Nordic Council actually does these days besides complementing each other on being Nordic?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »

Since they are all part of Schengen and the EEA, is there anything the Nordic Council actually does these days besides complementing each other on being Nordic?

They still have projects in a wide range of areas, but often in cooperation with other organizations or countries. And there is a Nordic Culture Foundation. Cultural cooperation is the backbone of the organization, which is why I think Estonia will remain outside.

http://www.norden.org/en/om-samarbejdet-1/areas-of-co-operation
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »

eesti can into nordic
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »

I could have been really interesting if the Estonian Swedes had survived as a viable group after WW2 (they're not extinct not even in Estonia, but they make up less than an per mille of Estonia's population now), but as they have not, there really lack a connection beside historical and religious (and that doesn't count for much today) between Estonia and the western Baltic.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »

Is it even possible to be part of the Nordic Council without having a variation of their cross flag? Tongue
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »

I could have been really interesting if the Estonian Swedes had survived as a viable group after WW2 (they're not extinct not even in Estonia, but they make up less than an per mille of Estonia's population now), but as they have not, there really lack a connection beside historical and religious (and that doesn't count for much today) between Estonia and the western Baltic.

The Estonia Swedes were 0,7% of the population, so that wouldn't have made a difference.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »

Is it even possible to be part of the Nordic Council without having a variation of their cross flag? Tongue

Yes, Greenland is a member.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 04:20:22 PM »

The Estonia Swedes were 0,7% of the population, so that wouldn't have made a difference.

I disagree somewhat, while I don't think they would have much influence in Estonian politics (through the fact that they was poor and rural, could have resulted in their population increasing faster than the Estonian one), I think they would have served as middlemen between Sweden and Estonia, making Sweden invest more in Estonia both Economical, but also cultural.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 09:28:11 PM »

Greenland is the colony of a country with a cross flag though.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »

But they could.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »

Greenland is the colony of a country with a cross flag though.

Its not a colony. Its an autonomous country within the Danish realm and recognized as a sovereign people.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 02:27:02 PM »

Perhaps Germany should join?
Angel of Death
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »

http://satwcomic.com/new-nordic
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 10:04:40 PM »

The linguistic argument against it seems weak to me, since Finland is a member. To be honest, I don't know why Estonia shouldn't be allowed to join, or even all three Baltic states.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2014, 12:14:32 AM by politicus »

The linguistic argument against it seems weak to me, since Finland is a member. To be honest, I don't know why Estonia shouldn't be allowed to join, or even all three Baltic states.

Swedish is an official language in Finland, which has a Swedish speaking minority and Finlands historical and cultural community with Sweden is of a completely different order than Estonia's.

(among other things: same state until 1809 with Swedish remaining the language of most of the elite in the 19th century and more than 1 mio. Swedes with Finnish background + Åland Islands are purely Swedish speaking etc.)

The working languages of the Nordic Council are Danish, Norwegian and Swedish, not English and switching to English would damage the whole idea of a special relationship between those particular countries.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 11:55:25 PM »

\Could they have some sort of "observer status"? if they really want in
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 12:00:37 AM »