Would John McKinney have won Connecticut?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:49:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Would John McKinney have won Connecticut?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would John McKinney have won Connecticut?  (Read 1362 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »

John McKinney lost the gubernatorial primary by 12 to Tom Foley. If McKinney had won the primary instead, would he have defeated Dan Malloy?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »

I could definitely see it. McKinney was decisively more moderate than Foley, and Foley had that big talking down to workers thing happen, which McKinney was not a part of. At the same time, McKinney wasn't doing as well financially.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 04:31:18 PM »

John McKinney lost the gubernatorial primary by 12 to Tom Foley. If McKinney had won the primary instead, would he have defeated Dan Malloy?

Worlds better candidate than Foley. Yes.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »

Highly doubtful. McKinney didn't have many friends outside of the Fairfield area.. plus Republicans in Connecticut have a tendency to only support horrible Candidates since 2010.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 01:43:04 AM »

Highly doubtful. McKinney didn't have many friends outside of the Fairfield area.. plus Republicans in Connecticut have a tendency to only support horrible Candidates since 2010.

pretty much this. I'm from the Fairfield area and I, along with many D/I people I know, didn't vote for Foley but would've voted for McKinney.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 02:45:06 AM »

Maybe. It depends if he would've been as easily dragged through the mud as Foley was.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »

pretty much this. I'm from the Fairfield area and I, along with many D/I people I know, didn't vote for Foley but would've voted for McKinney.

I highly doubt that Fairfield county would have gone more McKinney than it did for Foley.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 11:08:10 PM »

It was stated that if Rob Simmons had been on the ballot in 2010 it may have helped give Foley a boost in Eastern CT and thus the election at that point. I don't know if that was realistic or not, though Simmons should have been the Senatorial nominee regardless.

Maybe, but McKinney should be a three term Congressmen right now heading into a fourth and he was a fool for dropping out back in 2009. CT-04 is a race he likely would have won in 2010.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 01:52:26 AM »

As someone from CT 4th, yeah McKinney definitely would've done better than Debicella and probably could've won (in 2010, not 2014 though)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »

Both McKinney and Debicella were horrible candidates, I doubt McKinney would have done any better. If Republicans in the 4th want to nominate a candidate who could actually have a chance, they would give Toni Boucher a call.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »

Both McKinney and Debicella were horrible candidates, I doubt McKinney would have done any better. If Republicans in the 4th want to nominate a candidate who could actually have a chance, they would give Toni Boucher a call.

A lot of people there that know them kind of think Boucher is an idiot but somewhat like McKinney. That might just be my town specifically and not all of the 4th but Boucher would've been a horrible choice IMO
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

A lot of people there that know them kind of think Boucher is an idiot but somewhat like McKinney. That might just be my town specifically and not all of the 4th but Boucher would've been a horrible choice IMO

...Must just be your town. Toni has been such a well respected person through the 4th. Nobody ever called on McKinney to come out to any events prior to 2014, and highly doubt they ever would. He has no personality. The 4th is a lost cause, it wont go Republican again anytime soon.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 10:37:56 AM »

Maybe, but Foley wasn't such a horrible candidate; after all, he came within a few thousand votes of winning in 2010 and four points this year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies