Civil Rights Act of 2014 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:18:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Civil Rights Act of 2014 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
Author Topic: Civil Rights Act of 2014 (Passed)  (Read 16497 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 08, 2015, 08:22:32 AM »

Senators this has enough votes to fail, senators have 24 hours to change their votes

Aye

I actually agree with the president's redraft on everything but the clothing one, which I think we can work with, and since this redraft has already failed I'm voting Aye to highlight a desire to make a few more, pretty minor changes.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2015, 01:26:46 PM »

By a vote of 5-4-1 this redraft has failed and the original bill is sent back to the senate for further discussion:

Aye: Bore, Yankee, Cris, Windjammer

Abstain: Polnut

Nay: Bacon King, SWE, Cranberry, TNF, Lief
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2015, 07:53:13 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2015, 08:31:19 AM by Senator TNF »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2015, 07:57:44 AM »

I continue to be concerned about the issue of a report on reparations. Yes, a report does  not tie anyone to do anything, but the unseen (and I'm sure, to some, seen) consequences could be significant. I think there's a more realistic way to deal with this.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #304 on: February 10, 2015, 08:07:09 AM »

I would be okay with this version, as long as the implentation date is postponed until let's say July 2015.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #305 on: February 10, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »

Yes, I agree that the implementation date needs to be postponed.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #306 on: February 10, 2015, 08:31:41 AM »

I have modified my proposal to include a July 1 implementation date.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #307 on: February 10, 2015, 09:48:13 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2015, 09:55:58 AM by Mideast Senator windjammer »

Lumine, will you be able to do a second redraft???

EDIT: I just checked, you won't be able. Well, I hope the senate and the president will be able to agree on a version.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #308 on: February 10, 2015, 09:59:10 AM »

EDIT: I just checked, you won't be able. Well, I hope the senate and the president will be able to agree on a version.

Yes, the Constitution is rather clear on that issue. The amendment Senator TNF proposed is a step on the right direction and it does address many of my concerns. If the amendment passes, I would reccomend an amendment (or I could offer it myself) for Section 2.10, as I remain convinced that said party is poorly worded.

The real problem is that I am not supportive of the affirmative action parts of the CRA, which seem to be supported by most of the Senate. Either way, I'll have to think about the issue and my response.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »

Yes, the Constitution is rather clear on that issue. The amendment Senator TNF proposed is a step on the right direction and it does address many of my concerns. If the amendment passes, I would reccomend an amendment (or I could offer it myself) for Section 2.10, as I remain convinced that said party is poorly worded.

The real problem is that I am not supportive of the affirmative action parts of the CRA, which seem to be supported by most of the Senate. Either way, I'll have to think about the issue and my response.
Which part exactly do you strongly oppose?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »

More of a principle issue, but I've always remained unconvinced that forcing the federal government to hire based on race or gender quotas is the best solution when it comes to this issue. It's very simplistic argument, I know, but I would rather have the best individuals hired regardless of their race/gender than have them hired because of those two conditions.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2015, 11:43:25 AM »

Senators have 36 hours to object to TNF's amendment
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2015, 05:23:37 PM »

More of a principle issue, but I've always remained unconvinced that forcing the federal government to hire based on race or gender quotas is the best solution when it comes to this issue. It's very simplistic argument, I know, but I would rather have the best individuals hired regardless of their race/gender than have them hired because of those two conditions.

Except that some of the best candidates are never hired precisely because of their race/gender.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »

Except that some of the best candidates are never hired precisely because of their race/gender.

But isn't that kind of making policy based on trying to prove a negative?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2015, 06:09:55 PM »

I posted on the Senate protest and analysis thread about the jury selection.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=19934.msg4480504#msg4480504

I would like to know if the jury selection in the Civil Rights acts is just well intentioned theory or will it affect how the jury is selected in Atlasia in a practical way.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #315 on: February 11, 2015, 09:58:52 PM »

That is a good question since some of the juries here are actually playable. We don't even know the racial statistics with any clarity since the population is influx and some people are inactive, you would never get an accurate read.

You can guess overwhelmingly white, male and 18-26 (Call it a hunch), but that is rather thin basis and considering the population limits, it could make bgwah and the boy's job a real bitch getting a jury together for anything.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #316 on: February 11, 2015, 10:18:32 PM »

Atlasia is 99% white men. Why would our jury selection be affected?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A jury of five white men is reasonably proportionate to a national population of 99% white men.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »

What if one of the jury member is not a white man then?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #318 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:36 PM »

Well the language is "equal representation for all racial minorities", so I don't think that would matter.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #319 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:56 AM »

Well the language is "equal representation for all racial minorities", so I don't think that would matter.

But would it count as "reasonably proportional"?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #320 on: February 12, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »

As I said in the budget thread, we need to divide the government simulation side of things with the game mechanics side of things. Basically a bill which is government simulation should not interfere with the game mechanics side, and vice versa. So I don't see the problem here.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #321 on: February 12, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »

I see,
Well, I will understand if you veto if it keeps this part. I hope you will understand too if I vote Aye on the veto override too Tongue.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #322 on: February 12, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »

As I said in the budget thread, we need to divide the government simulation side of things with the game mechanics side of things. Basically a bill which is government simulation should not interfere with the game mechanics side, and vice versa. So I don't see the problem here.

Your wording implies that we aren't currently though. Doesn't that mean that unless stated so in this text, it could be a problem?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #323 on: February 12, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »

TNF's amendment has passed

Sorry, I badly phrased that, what I meant is when we are talking about issues like this we need to keep in mind the distinction.

That said, I am aware that there is no strict constitutional reason to separate the two, but surely we can all agree this makes sense?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #324 on: February 12, 2015, 09:34:30 PM »

Yes, you and I agree, but as we have seen taking the common sense approach for granted because it is the present "consensus" can lead to trouble. Your leaving now, I am leaving either now or in July. The next group of people may not be so common sense oriented, or seek to utilize the seeming contradiction to cause problems in a future case.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies