Civil Rights Act of 2014 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:15:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Civil Rights Act of 2014 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil Rights Act of 2014 (Passed)  (Read 16654 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: January 27, 2015, 03:13:23 AM »

You're seriously saying schools and workplaces can't prohibit daisy dukes as a matter of civil rights?  What do racial and gender quotas, irrespective of the number of qualified applicants, have to do with highway funding?

I urge the President to veto this absurd legislation should it pass.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 06:13:59 PM »

You're seriously saying schools and workplaces can't prohibit daisy dukes as a matter of civil rights?  What do racial and gender quotas, irrespective of the number of qualified applicants, have to do with highway funding?

I urge the President to veto this absurd legislation should it pass.

I think there are ways to be productive about your concern without slandering the entire piece of legislation. A redraft altering the language in question could have a very real chance of passing.

That being said, our society usually expects a higher standard of care for matters related to children, so a non-discriminatory dress code at school could also probably qualify for an exemption.

I didn't mean to slander the Senate's efforts here. I was just taken aback that the Senate was actually close to passing this. I don't understand what passes for centrism in Atlasia. I once thought that it was basically European Social Democracy but that's something far to the right of something like this. You want to pretend that history and society has left us with no statistical differences in interest and ability between people of different genders or ethnicity, and that any differences in hiring are solely the fault of the employer, rather than address the issue with education, and perhaps (gasp!) consider the possibility that their might be differences in what fields people decide to enter into.  You want to pretend people aren't affected by how people in their environment dress, and condemn anyone who thinks otherwise.  It's bad enough you want to do this at the federal level without trying to make the regions pass something similar. Honestly I can barely watch what the Senate does to run over the regions and civil society and still sustain any interest in Atlasia at any level so that's why I didn't comment until the legislation had made the news.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:10:56 PM »

Your issues with those sections seems more of a straw man than what they actually say. It says if a company has a vastly different proportion of, say white to black or male to female workers than their area and, importantly for something like engineering the employment sector the government should intervene. Now it's fine to disagree with that but you've got to recognise it's not the same thing as classical affirmative action, if anything it's a call to recognise employers that systematically discriminate against minorities. It also then leaves the actual laws and guidelines up to the regional governments.
If that is the intention it is worded very oddly.  "Equal" and "not vastly disproportionate" representation are not the same thing.  What do you mean by "engineering the employment sector"? 
It's also strange (but unsurprising) that the regions are supposed to enact guidelines when the Senate isn't even being explicit on what the Federal guidelines should be on this topic.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:11:20 AM »

lol, the men's swimshirt manufacturers must be rejoicing over this. never change Atlasia!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies