The Atlasian Democrat: Your Official Atlasian News Service
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:01:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Democrat: Your Official Atlasian News Service
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Democrat: Your Official Atlasian News Service  (Read 4451 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 07:36:32 PM »

You're right, my bad.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »

The Atlasian Democrat

Your Source for Atlasia's News!

Australia Deals With Fallout From Hostage Situation

While Australia deals with the fallout over the long hostage situation that took place just a short while ago in a Sydney cafe, the Coalition government has steadfastly resolved not to be drawn into a debate over gun control. Labor Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has called on Prime Minister Tony Abbott to bring the debate to the forefront and if necessary tighten restrictions even further.

"The fact is, Australia has one of the most stringent gun control policies on the globe," said policy analyst Jim Lewis. "The hostage situation that caused the death of two people and the gunman is not necessarily the fault of the policy."

Most pro-gun advocates in Australia are calling for the laws to be revised in case another situation like this erupts. Atlasian officials have offered condolences to the people of Sydney and Australia as a whole over the tragedy.

Public Losing Patience With Administration

While the public has generally opposed the efforts to impeach the President and Vice President, it seems that the honeymoon is over for the Lumine Administration. While elected by safe margins, the centrist coalition of the Federalists and moderate TPP members has been strained seemingly in recent weeks. It seems the slight dysfunction has been trickling out to the public as the left wing reasserted control of the Senate with the President's Federalist Party heavily battered. Some members of the TPP who spoke with us under the condition of anonymity noted how disappointed they were in the administration so far.

"Apart from a few minor things, there's been very little effort. I'm hoping after the holidays we can get something going. The budget being done would be a good start. I'm cautiously optimistic for the future, but the present has been somewhat disappointing."

Senate Battle Over Military Budget

It's no secret that Senator TNF is perhaps Atlasia's most left-wing political leader. His recent statements in the budget debate may have constituents either shaking their heads or standing up and cheering, depending on your political alignment. Senator TNF stated bluntly that he would not rest until the standing army was no more, to cheers from the left wing galleries and exasperation from moderates and conservatives. Senator Polnut, probably the most pragmatic member of the Atlasian Senate was interpreted by Senator Bore to have offered an objection. A vote on Senator TNF's amendment appears set to fail.

A Quick Note For The Pacific

Readers of The Atlasian Democrat are familiar with the woes of activity that have plagued the Pacific local government for quite some time now. However, recently a strong Pacific Council headed up by former Senator Averroes Nix, has been working on three separate bills, including a heavily debated gambling bill. Residents in the Pacific Region should be relieved to see that once again bills are being considered and debated after such a long period of inactivity.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »

The Atlasian Democrat

2015 Budget Battle

The Senate is currently grappling with the 2015 budget that is supposed to be due by the new year. While early on, the debate was seemingly not getting anywhere, so far, it seems that there is hope for it after all. Senator Bore intends to propose his amendments soon from what those close to him tell us, and it's possible that they will be acceptable to the majority of the Senate, who are looking to make taxation more progressive in the next year.

This budget battle is thought to be a continuation of a showdown between the President and the Senate after Lumine veto'd the Collective Bargaining Modernization Act. The Senate is currently voting on a veto override which is expected to pass easily.

Russian Negotiations Tense

Negotiations between Russia and Atlasia over Crimea were resumed today after a Christmas break. Sources confirm that Secretary Potus has been conducting the talks with the Russian officials and while the talks started well enough, sources tell us that they took a sour turn just before the parties broke for the holidays. With negotiations resumed today, our sources are saying that Russia is standing firm on maintaining Crimea, however they may have made other concessions that our sources could not confirm or deny.

Foreign Policy Analyst Jim Lewis had this to say; "Even though the negotiations have been very tense,  there's no reason to believe that there may not be a solution forthcoming. Neither side wants a war with the other no matter how bellicose they may appear in public as it could be a disaster for both nations."

Inflation and Unemployment Fall

While we haven't got the solid numbers yet (they are to be released on Tuesday), the economic forecast after the Christmas holiday is very encouraging. With gas prices falling and a stock market surge, both unemployment and inflation are thought to be at year long lows. The Atlasian national unemployment rate might be below 6% for the first time in quite some time. While we don't have the solid number yet, the news on the economic front is nothing if not encouraging.

President Lumine Won't Seek 2nd Term

While opinions on the President and the administration vary from unwavering support to bitter contempt, the vast majority of the Atlasian populace has seemed to at least generally approve of the Lumine Administration. However, the President announced that he intends to serve only a single term. While Lumine won't fully retire from Atlasian politics, those close to him have told us that he's probably burned out and will want to recharge his batteries after his term closes out.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2014, 02:40:40 PM by Dr. Cynic, GM »

The Atlasian Democrat

Presidential Election Kicks Off

With the news that President Lumine is retiring after a single term, the Presidential race seems to have kicked itself off. Senators Bore and Bacon King have formed a ticket. Cinci has also announced for President, with former President and Atlasian veteran Duke as his running mate for the People's Party. As the campaign heats up, we'll be conducting several opinion polls and hopefully will be able to interview all of the candidates once we've got a full picture of the upcoming first Presidential contest of 2015. One Labor Party activist told us that they were excited to have a ticket quickly and that since it was two well-respected Atlasians, that after the great Senate results that party fortunes were looking up. A People's Party member told us that while they were happy that they won't have to go through an arduous primary, that Cinci and Duke was a bit too right-leaning for their taste and that "The People's Party is a party of the center-left, not the center-right, in my view". It's thought that with BK, a member of The People's Party left wing, that it will siphon votes away from what is likely to be the endorsed TPP ticket, Though it's still early days and there could still be more candidates to declare.

Weekly Economic Forecast

The Following is an economic forecast for the Regions and Atlasia at large:

Northeast: Unemployment: 5.5%
IDS: Unemployment: 6.1%
Mideast: Unemployment: 6.7%
Midwest: Unemployment: 5.8%
Pacific: Unemployment: 8.7%
National: Unemployment: 6.3% Inflation: 4% (fixed)
Inner City Youth: Unemployment: 9.1%

Overall Analysis

The Holiday season led us to reports that unemployment would be down were right on the money. However, another report that told us that the figures would be below 6% were, as it turns out, too optimistic. Unemployment, though down big for the holidays thanks to increased hiring, did not get below that 6% mark that optimistic analysts were excitedly projecting.

Economist and writer Katherine Wagner told The Atlasian Democrat that the Atlasian economy has seen a major boost thanks to the season and that this shouldn't be regarded as a permanent spike. However, Economics Prof. Ed Anderson of The University of Pittsburgh disagrees with that analysis and says that the Atlasian economy could be heading for a longer term boost.

As requested, we printed the inner city youth unemployment figures. Unfortunately, we've found that the boost to the overall national employment figures have not really been seen by inner city youth. Because most businesses are reluctant to open and operate in inner cities, most of the young job seekers are dependent upon the government and other labor cooperatives for work and though youth unemployment is down, it has not seen the marked improvement as the rest of the country.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 01:52:37 PM »

What is inner city youth defined as?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 03:37:15 PM »

I defined it as any young person between 16 and 18 who is old enough and able to hold employment and lives inside a city's central limits (As opposed to suburban youths).

Also, if I might request in the future, inquiries like this please go in my office and not in the newspaper so I can keep it as uncluttered as possible. I hope that answers your question.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »

I defined it as any young person between 16 and 18 who is old enough and able to hold employment and lives inside a city's central limits (As opposed to suburban youths).

Also, if I might request in the future, inquiries like this please go in my office and not in the newspaper so I can keep it as uncluttered as possible. I hope that answers your question.

So, these are 16-18 year olds who are seeking full time work and are not in high school? Inversely, the other 91% are in full-time jobs and not in high school?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »

So, these are 16-18 year olds who are seeking full time work and are not in high school? Inversely, the other 91% are in full-time jobs and not in high school?

They can either be students or not. That wasn't taken into consideration when I did the figures. I simply used any 16-18 year old who could be considered employable for either part time or full time work.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 01:54:59 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2015, 01:56:47 PM by SirNick »

They can either be students or not. That wasn't taken into consideration when I did the figures. I simply used any 16-18 year old who could be considered employable for either part time or full time work.

So you're telling me that 90% or so of ALL 16-18 year olds in urban areas have full or part time jobs? I find your figure to be absurd. You also seem to include people who aren't working for work since you're using the term "employable" which would mean everyone. People not looking for work are not included in unemployment rates.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »

So you're telling me that 90% or so of ALL 16-18 year olds in urban areas have full or part time jobs? I find your figure to be absurd. You also seem to include people who aren't working for work since you're using the term "employable" which would mean everyone. People not looking for work are not included in unemployment rates.

Did I say that I included people who weren't looking? If so, then I either misspoke or you've misinterpreted me.

Either way, that's the figure and you're going to have to deal with it or you can take the job back and do it right this time.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2015, 10:03:22 PM »

Did I say that I included people who weren't looking? If so, then I either misspoke or you've misinterpreted me.

Either way, that's the figure and you're going to have to deal with it or you can take the job back and do it right this time.

I honestly thought you were doing a fine job before you put in unnecessary statistics that you haven't thought through. Regardless, I'm asking you what this figure does and does not include.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2015, 11:15:08 PM »

I honestly thought you were doing a fine job before you put in unnecessary statistics that you haven't thought through. Regardless, I'm asking you what this figure does and does not include.

I considered employable youths to be 16-18 year old people who were actively looking for employment. They wouldn't be living in what would be considered a suburban environment. I also mentioned that unemployment was lower across the board after the holiday season. Ordinarily, it would be higher, something like 10-12%, I'd guess. But again, it's a guess.

I'd ask you to relax a little bit too. But hey, if you wanted to help me out with the math, I'd more than welcome it because I said it once, twice, two hundred times, it wasn't a strong suit. So, if you have any statistics that could help me, I'd be appreciative. If not, then it's just going to have to stand.

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2015, 11:28:05 PM »

The Atlasian Democrat

Crimean Deal Announced

After tense negotiations between Atlasia and Russia, a treaty has been announced between the two nations that would allow Crimea to become an independent nation, Russian currency protected and Russia renouncing any interest in annexing the rest of Eastern Europe. While popular with some, others have called it an act of appeasement and compared it to the Munich agreement with Hitler.

Foreign Policy analyst Jim Lewis had this to say regarding it; "Those who regard it as another Munich or a form of appeasement may not fully grasp the situation. Russia gets very little out of the treaty, even though the negotiations were conducted with a lot of toughness on both sides. Secretary Potus probably got the best deal out of this that he could and still avoid a conflict. Crimea doesn't end up a Russian possession and if Russia does have any further designs on Eastern Europe, then it gives NATO an excuse to fight."

Still, others say that Russia was pushing things too far. Conservatives have called on President Lumine to repudiate the agreement and force Russia to back down, which could create a war. These are very stressful times it seems for many average Atlasians who don't seem in the mood to fight it out with Russia on this issue so far. More to follow as we learn it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »

The Atlasian Democrat

Northeast Senate Race Heating Up

With Senator Bore's decision to retire from the Senate in order to run for President, The Atlasian Democrat will be taking a look at the now what we believe will be one of the closest and most competitive races in the upcoming election cycle. Northeast Judicial Officer Talleyrand and Northeast Representative Sirnick are locked in a competitive contest for the job of replacing the most powerful Senator in Atlasia. Both Talleyrand and Sirnick have been running active campaigns. Sirnick has so far been somewhat more detailed in his policy proposals, though a insider on the Talleyrand campaign told us that we should expect his more detail oriented issue platform soon. Both are well-tenured and we expect the campaign to be an exciting one. Sirnick has already detailed several issues, specifically game reform, which he intends to run on. Former Labor Party Chairman Griffin has been asking very critical questions of Sirnick, but so far the tone of the campaign has been quite civil.

So far, Talleyrand has a slight edge in the polls, but there are still several undecided voters such as Northeast resident Bryan McGee who told us that he hadn't come close to making his mind up yet. "I want to see how the campaign continues and we'll see where I stand on election day," he said to us.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »

The Atlasian Democrat

Russian Troops Begin Withdrawal Process

In what must be regarded as a victory for the administration, Russian troops have begun the process of withdrawal from Crimea. Sources close to the situation have said to us that the goal is to have all Russian troops withdrawn by March 1st. When asked for comment, Secretary General of NATO, Jens Stoltenberg told the press that he was pleased to see that Russia was keeping up the terms of the bargain.
"We are pleased to see Russia take this positive step forward for international relations. Obviously, there is much work left to be done with regards to the Crimean agreement, including creating a new independent nation, which is no easy task."

Stoltenberg and others are hopeful that Putin will keep to the terms of the agreement, but here at home, several Atlasian politicians remain highly skeptical.

Civil Rights Act Debate Continues

The massive 2014 Civil Rights Act bill is still being debated in the Senate. So far, the bill has undergone numerous changes since first introduced and it appears to be ready to undergo even more before final voting is started. Senator Bore's most recent amendment struck the passage of the bill that would allow women regardless of age to be able to receive birth control for free, which was objected to by the leftist lion, Senator TNF. However, it may be a case of simply cleaning up some "redundant language".

Senator Bore said that Section 2.1 of the bill made Section 2.9 redundant as it stated that contraception would be free of charge, covered by the Department of Internal Affairs. While we've not had a comment from Senator TNF, a source close to him states that the Senator is unswerving in his support for the rights of women.

"Section 2.1 does not make it clear that a woman of any age has the right to purchase birth control and that is language we are very concerned about," said TNF supporter and women's rights campaigner Melissa Elbridge. "While we see that most Senators support the rights of women, we worry that if there is continued ambiguous language that it could open things up to discrimination."
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 07:51:09 PM »

The Atlasian Democrat

Campaign Settles In For Center-Left

While the right's Presidential candidate, Potus, will no doubt continue to call attention to his stint in the cabinet, one interesting factor about this campaign seems to be the solidifying of the forces of the left and center-left. Labor and TPP, having just recently been embroiled in a major fight for the soul of Atlasian progressive politics, seem to be working harmoniously to elect their joint ticket in the first election of the year. One Labor activist told us that the Bore/BK ticket is the most exciting Labor ticket they've ever volunteered for. A TPP worker said that cooperation among the two parties has been easy for the most part. "It helps that Bore and Bacon King are both on the center-left. If one was an extremist, it may not have been as easy."

Even doing his part for the campaign, notable Labor lion, Senator TNF stated that no one could beat the combination. Secretary Potus' hopes for success in what is now a very difficult prospect for him rely on the turnout of the right in his favor.

Mideast Debates High Speed Rail

Atlasia has a large and modern rail network and the Mideast is currently debating a multi-billion dollar investment in their regional railroad. That being the case, The Atlasian Democrat has been conducting an investigation to determine the usage and feasibility of this project which we expect to complete in the next couple of days. Several Mideast legislators are concerned that with the current rail budget of only $0.2 billion, that a milti-billion dollar investment may not be worth it. However, in the Mideast, the most popular rail hub is the Chicago hub where rough estimates hold that close to a million people per year use and pass through the rail stations.

In general, High speed rail in Atlasia has been popular in recent times thanks to low ticket costs compared to other nations and the fact that gas prices remain at above average levels.

Weekly Economic Forecast

Northeast: Unemployment: 6.1%
IDS: Unemployment: 6.6%
Mideast: Unemployment: 6.5%
Midwest: Unemployment: 6.3%
Pacific: Unemployment: 8.8%
National: Unemployment: 7.2%

Overall Analysis

The overall analysis of the most recent employment figures shows in general a minor uptick in the national average thanks to the elimination of some temporary holiday work. Overall economic indicators though must be considered in good shape because though there was a rise, in general employment has held up well and looks to continue doing so as was explained to us by economics Prof. Ed Anderson that with the public and private sectors expanding, look for the rates to remain lower than they have been in some time.

He noted that while the numbers themselves may not seem spectacular, that in fact, they are a positive sign moving forward for employment in the country.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »

The Atlasian Democrat

Fallout of French Terror Attacks

After the cold blooded murder of several French journalists and others, we finally are able to take stock of the terror that had gripped France over the weekend. Atlasians and others abroad were told to stay in as French police searched the countryside for the suspects. Eventually found, a massive shootout saw the deaths of three terror suspects, however, radical elements vowed to continue targeting civilians in France and other nations. A march of world leaders, led by French President Francois Hollande, was made in defiance of the radicals and went off without a hitch. President Lumine has promised Atlasian aid to France however they may require it. Here at home, people remain somewhat anxious. A terror attack on Atlasia months ago led to the nation descending into a chaotic period. Many people want to avoid a retread of that disaster.

"We should all stand united against terrorism," Robert Stark, a Baltimore engineering student, said to us. "My sister happened to be in France this past week and I can't tell you how hard it is to continue to worry about the safety of a loved one. We just got over our own attacks..."

Clearly, the mood of the country is a bit shaken in the wake of the news, but there was optimism also. One woman told us that she planned to continue on her European holiday and wasn't worried for her safety. "They'll take care of us," she said. "I am not afraid."

Native Atlasians Protest Over Unemployment, Health and Education Access

Story contributed by Barnes

Recent figures showing that the unemployment rate for Native Atlasians increased to a two-year high of 16% have sparked protests and demonstrations among Native associations and on reservations.  The largest rally occurred near the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation (part of the Oglala Sioux tribe) in South Dakota with some 5,000 natives and local residents marking in protest of the local reservation jobless rate of near 19%.

The protests have remained civil and seem to be having the intended effect of drawing media and government interest.

Secondary themes common among the protests included demands for a easier and fairer access to health and education resources on reservations -- health issues, and in particular alcohol related deaths, have blighted reservations for years.

Tribal leaders have accused both regional and federal administrations of being indifferent to their grievances.  Bryan Brewer, President of the Pine Ridge Reservation, interviewed during the rally, stated, "It doesn't really matter who's in charge in Nyman, things never change for us here.  We've been talking about these issues for years, and I think the total lack of response over the most recent unemployment figures shows that Native Atlasians have been forgotten and left behind."

Budget Debate Drags On As Emergency Resolution Enacted

Emergency action was deemed necessary by the Senate during the budget debate as President Lumine asked for a resolution keeping last year's budget in effect until this year's can pass. The administration and the Senate seem to be at odds over spending, which is little surprise to observers who have watched the battles between a left wing legislature and a right wing executive. Senator Lief said frankly on the Senate floor that with inflation numbers up, he would refuse to vote for any tax cuts in the budget.

Senate Speaker and Presidential candidate Bore mentioned how uncomfortable he was with the President's proposed cut in health care to facilitate a tax cut for the wealthy and the Senate defeated the President's motion, introduced by Senator Yankee on near unanimous grounds. Insiders tell us that the President and the administration as a whole are deeply frustrated with the lack of progress they wanted to achieve in terms of taxation reform. While our sources requested anonymity, Atlasian historian and political scientist Al Samuelson told us that the Lumine Administration is certainly suffering from the makeup of the Senate. "When he had a more moderate legislature to work with, the people inside found it very easy, but now towards the end, President Lumine is seeing the most difficulty he's had in his Presidency. His leadership is going to really be tested until we have a new administration."
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »

The Atlasian Democrat

Campaign Settles In For Center-Left

While the right's Presidential candidate, Potus, will no doubt continue to call attention to his stint in the cabinet, one interesting factor about this campaign seems to be the solidifying of the forces of the left and center-left. Labor and TPP, having just recently been embroiled in a major fight for the soul of Atlasian progressive politics, seem to be working harmoniously to elect their joint ticket in the first election of the year. One Labor activist told us that the Bore/BK ticket is the most exciting Labor ticket they've ever volunteered for. A TPP worker said that cooperation among the two parties has been easy for the most part. "It helps that Bore and Bacon King are both on the center-left. If one was an extremist, it may not have been as easy."

Even doing his part for the campaign, notable Labor lion, Senator TNF stated that no one could beat the combination. Secretary Potus' hopes for success in what is now a very difficult prospect for him rely on the turnout of the right in his favor.

Mideast Debates High Speed Rail

Atlasia has a large and modern rail network and the Mideast is currently debating a multi-billion dollar investment in their regional railroad. That being the case, The Atlasian Democrat has been conducting an investigation to determine the usage and feasibility of this project which we expect to complete in the next couple of days. Several Mideast legislators are concerned that with the current rail budget of only $0.2 billion, that a milti-billion dollar investment may not be worth it. However, in the Mideast, the most popular rail hub is the Chicago hub where rough estimates hold that close to a million people per year use and pass through the rail stations.

In general, High speed rail in Atlasia has been popular in recent times thanks to low ticket costs compared to other nations and the fact that gas prices remain at above average levels.

Weekly Economic Forecast

Northeast: Unemployment: 6.1%
IDS: Unemployment: 6.6%
Mideast: Unemployment: 6.5%
Midwest: Unemployment: 6.3%
Pacific: Unemployment: 8.8%
National: Unemployment: 7.2%

Overall Analysis

The overall analysis of the most recent employment figures shows in general a minor uptick in the national average thanks to the elimination of some temporary holiday work. Overall economic indicators though must be considered in good shape because though there was a rise, in general employment has held up well and looks to continue doing so as was explained to us by economics Prof. Ed Anderson that with the public and private sectors expanding, look for the rates to remain lower than they have been in some time.

He noted that while the numbers themselves may not seem spectacular, that in fact, they are a positive sign moving forward for employment in the country.

Glad to see that you dropped the urban youth unemployment bs.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »

I dropped it because it was only asked for once. It's not a statistic that I really think needs continuously printed.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »

Why is unemployment in our region going up?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 07:27:05 PM »

Why is unemployment in our region going up?

Unemployment popped up generally for everyone (though very lightly) because the holiday boom is over and lots of temp/seasonal jobs were eliminated. Employment will likely stabilize around these marks through the winter unless there's any big push made by either regional or national governments.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 10:20:38 PM »

The Atlasian Democrat

Presidential Debate Begins

The Presidential debate between frontrunner Senator Bore and his opponent, Secretary of State Potus is underway. So far, this campaign has been a rather tame affair, but there have been rumblings from officials close to both campaigns that both sides are looking for openings to go negative. The Atlasian public has stated several times to us that such vitriolic campaigns leave them extremely weary and that they have so far appreciated both campaigns sticking to the issues and not the personalities. Said voter Maria Kendall, "At this time, Atlasia needs a little calm in politics. This past year has been very difficult and we appreciate the efforts of those people working to make things better by making things calmer."

However, one voter, who requested anonymity told us that he liked the chaos by saying "Hell, this is the whole point. Politics is a spectator sport and what good is the game if it's going to be boring?"

Civil Rights Act Goes To Final Vote!

The new Civil Rights Act, one of the most heavily debated bills in recent Senate history looks finally ready to pass the floor. The bill, which started its life severely troubled was heavily amended and in the end now looks like it will be passed and most certainly enacted even if President Lumine should use a veto.

The bill promises sweeping changes for minority, women, and LGBTQ Atlasian rights. It also offers a $25 million anti-discrimination campaign and an apology for past discrimination. Equal Rights campaigners are overjoyed that the bill, which at one point looked dead on arrival, is now set to be law. Said LGBTQ activist, Norma Bakewell, "We are so pleased to see that the Atlasian legislative branch has taken this stand for progressive human values. While it may not have been everything for everyone, it's better than a dead bill."

Not everyone was so enthused though. An Indiana resident was arrested after threatening to set off bombs in Nyman and to assassinate Senator TNF, the bill's most prominent early backer. Local law enforcement agencies have contacted the Interior Department to ask for the Secretary's help in aiding investigation into potential security risks in the event that the bill becomes law.

Investigation Into Fringe Party's Real Estate Deals

Acting on an anonymous tip, The Atlasian Democrat has investigated a claim that a charity known as "The Temple of The People" is in fact controlled by the so far fringe Transcendental Democratic Party. This, in itself, is not a particularly problematic thing. Several previous political parties have kept charitable arms. However, the group has been buying up cheap real estate in several economically struggling sections of Atlasia. The purpose of doing this is so far unclear, however, our sources speculate that the party could be attempting to form a breakaway nation a'la The Papal Patch (which seems to recognize Atlasian authority and is rather like a self-contained religious commune). Is that truly the party's aim or is it all benign? Again, we're unsure.

Al, the former President (who the editor actually served as VP under), is the person in charge of the organization and has actively been building a party which is based seemingly on frustration with the current system. However, the party decision making is taken in private by a mysterious inner council. We will update you as we learn more.

Editor's Note

We are overjoyed to return to publication after an unfortunately extended absence. Both work on the budget, which is still ongoing, and some personal life issues unfortunately caused delays in the publication of news stories. I want to thank those who admirably stepped up on that front when I was unavailable. I look forward to continue to bring you high quality news as GM. Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies