Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:47:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 56
Author Topic: Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015  (Read 168649 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: February 05, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »

Cool it.
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #476 on: February 05, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »

A rule of the internet with few exceptions: if the defense against a charge of racism is merely that the targeted group is not a "race", then the charge of racism is correct.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #477 on: February 05, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »

Panels/Knesset

Likud - 25
Labor/Livini - 24
Jewish Home - 13
United Arab Parties - 12
Yesh Atid - 11
Kulanu - 8
UTJ - 7
Shas - 6
Meretz - 5
Yisrael Beitenu - 5
Racists - 4
Calling Eli Yishai's party "racists" doesn't make sense at all. I suggest you just put "Yachad Ha'am Itanu-Otzma" there.

Well, factually it's correct.
No, it's not. Islam is not a race.

Another poll by Panel today:

Current Knesset seats in [brackets]
26 [18] Likud
22 [20] Zionist Union (Labor-Livni)
13 [11] Bayit Yehudi
12 [11] United Arab List
11 [20] Yesh Atid
08 [07] Yahadut Hatorah/UTJ
07 [02] Koolanu (Kahlon+Kadima)
06 [10] Shas
06 [06] Meretz
05 [13] Yisrael Beitenu
04 [02] Yachad (Yishai+Chetboun+Marzel)

69 [63] Right-Religious-Kahlon (Parties that have not ruled out a BB coalition)
51 [57] Center-Left-Arab (Parties that have ruled out a BB coalition)

Pause for reflection: Kach was banned for being racist
Not all Palestinians are Muslim
I'd mention the awful things marzel has said but I'd feel dirty writing them.
So now the invented "Palestinian" people has even become a "race"? Inventing definitions with lefties never became so original! And getting called a racist by people who would vote for Balad, like "Malaspinagold", would be an honor for me.

Now let's move back to a far more interesting topic: the Israeli elections.
You ARE an idiot (or more likely a sock). I'm a Meretz supporter, as is clearly evident by my previous contributions to this thread.
And for the record, my friend also happened to be at the guy's Hebron house for Shabbat when he heard the stuff.

Seriously, who's sock are you? Tell us, and then banish yourself forever please.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #478 on: February 05, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »

So now the invented "Palestinian" people has even become a "race"?

In the same way that the equally invented "Jewish" people did. As a racist yourself, you would have first-hand experience in how this happens.
Lol! Still don't care about Israel haters and Jew bashers calling me a racist, only makes me smile, so thanks for that.

Let's try to keep this thread as calm and reasonable as possible. If this means not commenting on certain matters, then do not comment on those matters. Thanks.
And now I feel we should listen to this wise man, because it would be a shame if this thread would become only a place for fighting.
I am Jewish. You are racist. Please stop.
Also this.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #479 on: February 06, 2015, 01:41:13 AM »

In the same way that the equally invented "Jewish" people did. As a racist yourself, you would have first-hand experience in how this happens.
Lol! Still don't care about Israel haters and Jew bashers calling me a racist, only makes me smile, so thanks for that.

I happen to be Jewish. Which only makes me hate Jewish racists more.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #480 on: February 06, 2015, 01:45:12 AM »

Pretty hard to stay cool here Smiley It is the old intra-tribal warfare Smiley
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #481 on: February 06, 2015, 02:14:18 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2015, 02:20:13 AM by MalaspinaGold »

So, a fairly bizarre episode has come into light the previous few days:
An NGO trying to kick out Netanyahu hired Obama's field director from 2012, Jeremy Bird, to do a GOTV effort. Bibi, Bennett, and company have latched onto this, claiming that this is all on Obama's orders, that Zionist Union/Meretz are awash with foreign money, that Bird is working directly with these groups, etc. One guy's even trying to disqualify Meretz/ZU from the election altogether.

This is especially hypocritical considering that Bibi's own campaign director is a Republican strategist himself.

Also, I'm fairly sure this DavidB nut is not from the tribe. It's more likely that he's actually Geert Wilders.
danny
Israel

« Reply #482 on: February 06, 2015, 02:14:51 AM »

Let's try to keep this thread as calm and reasonable as possible. If this means not commenting on certain matters, then do not comment on those matters. Thanks.
And now I feel we should listen to this wise man, because it would be a shame if this thread would become only a place for fighting.

No one here was Jew bashing stop throwing around such terms carelessly (and I'm a right wing Israeli Jew).

As for the invented Palestinian people, it may be true that the existence of a self defined people calling themselves Palestinian is a relatively recent phenomenon, but that is true for a lot people, and isn't very important anyway right now.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #483 on: February 06, 2015, 02:20:34 AM »

danny who will you be supporting in the election?
danny
Israel

« Reply #484 on: February 06, 2015, 02:24:07 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2015, 02:36:53 AM by danny »

danny who will you be supporting in the election?

Either Likud or JH. I have problems with both parties but I will have to chose one of them.
Gali
Israel
« Reply #485 on: February 06, 2015, 06:35:01 AM »

He is right , you guys need to cool it .
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #486 on: February 06, 2015, 07:36:42 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2015, 07:50:21 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

A rule of the internet with few exceptions: if the defense against a charge of racism is merely that the targeted group is not a "race", then the charge of racism is correct.

Not really, like fascist racist tends to be a term thrown around far too much as a common slur.

It is sensible to use another term than racism if you describe hatred and/or prejudice against a non-racially defined group (like a religion or an ethnic group with broadly similar racial origin). Racism carries a powerful stigma so people are tempted to use it for all sorts of related phenomena and that is hardly constructive. You end up with Scottish racism against the English or Yoruba racism against Hausas and such ludicrous things if you go down that road.

The idea that all ethnic or etno-religious hatred or prejudice is "racist" makes the term meaningless. Applying it to things like Christians hating Muslims and vice versa even more so.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #487 on: February 06, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »

If there's any definition of racism in a diverse ethno-religious society like Israel, this new party seems to fit it.

That being said, claiming they're racist while Islamist parties that support the "All Jews Out" polices of Hamas are not is just plain silly. Ideally both fringes will be kept out of any coalition.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #488 on: February 06, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2015, 12:02:01 PM by DavidB. »

Since people can't seem to get over this nonsense:

Also, I'm fairly sure this DavidB nut is not from the tribe. It's more likely that he's actually Geert Wilders.
Hate to break it to ya, but I'm Jewish. Not your typical vegetarian-environmentalist, anti-capitalist, J-Street loving, Israel-"critical", left-wing Jew though.

It is sensible to use another term than racism if you describe hatred and/or prejudice against a non-racially defined group (like a religion or an ethnic group with broadly similar racial origin). Racism carries a powerful stigma so people are tempted to use it for all sorts of related phenomena and that is hardly constructive. You end up with Scottish racism against the English or Yoruba racism against Hausas and such ludicrous things if you go down that road.

The idea that all ethnic or etno-religious hatred or prejudice is "racist" makes the term meaningless. Applying it to things like Christians hating Muslims and vice versa even more so.
^ This was exactly my point. Calling everything "racism" is not only silly, it's also inaccurate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #489 on: February 06, 2015, 01:14:06 PM »

But anyway. Stable-ish polls? This can't be a real Israeli election.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #490 on: February 06, 2015, 01:18:09 PM »

Polls were pretty stable last time. It was the final results (Yesh Atid in second) that came out of nowhere.

Basically, between the party switching, which ends with the lists being finalized, and the coalition formation, this is going to be a pretty dull thread.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #491 on: February 06, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2015, 01:28:39 PM by DavidB. »

Polls were pretty stable last time. It was the final results (Yesh Atid in second) that came out of nowhere.

Basically, between the party switching, which ends with the lists being finalized, and the coalition formation, this is going to be a pretty dull thread.
Polls are boring but coalition formation might become interesting. Eventually everything will probably depend on Yisrael Beiteinu and Kulanu (and, to a lesser extent, Shas). These parties could go with both Herzog and Bibi, although I think it's more likely that Bibi will manage to form a coalition, especially if Likud becomes the biggest party.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #492 on: February 06, 2015, 01:53:18 PM »

Herzog is in a pretty rough spot now. Liberman said he won't sit in a centre-left government hence trying to force some sort of unity government with Likud-Labour. Kachlon may dislike (like everybody who ever worked with him) Bibi but he and his base are essentialy Likud through and through. On top of that Shas\UTJ won't sit with Lapid unless the criminal sanctions of the draft law are lifted.

A Labour led centre-left-Haredi government is unlikelier than ever. Oh, and with their attempt to attract soft-right voters they are going to support Zoabi's disqualification (which the SCoJ will undo) and thus pissing off the joint Arab party.

Not the best of week for Labour. I assume they new tactic will be drain as much votes as the can from YA and Meretz so they can come to Bibi stronger when discussing a unity government.

As always the two parties least likely to get my vote are Likud and Labour
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #493 on: February 06, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »

Herzog is in a pretty rough spot now. Liberman said he won't sit in a centre-left government hence trying to force some sort of unity government with Likud-Labour. Kachlon may dislike (like everybody who ever worked with him) Bibi but he and his base are essentialy Likud through and through. On top of that Shas\UTJ won't sit with Lapid unless the criminal sanctions of the draft law are lifted.

A Labour led centre-left-Haredi government is unlikelier than ever. Oh, and with their attempt to attract soft-right voters they are going to support Zoabi's disqualification (which the SCoJ will undo) and thus pissing off the joint Arab party.

Not the best of week for Labour. I assume they new tactic will be drain as much votes as the can from YA and Meretz so they can come to Bibi stronger when discussing a unity government.

Yesh Atid? Tongue
There is a legitimate possibility Lieberman is left out of the next coalition entirely. Plus, the fact that most Shas voters are right wing didn't stop them from allying with labor when it suited them- perhaps the same is true of Kachlon. This of course doesn't mean a Herzog government is likely.

Like last time though, labor seems to be doing everything to turn off potential voters from the left.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #494 on: February 06, 2015, 02:45:16 PM »

Yesh Atid? Tongue
There is a legitimate possibility Lieberman is left out of the next coalition entirely. Plus, the fact that most Shas voters are right wing didn't stop them from allying with labor when it suited them- perhaps the same is true of Kachlon. This of course doesn't mean a Herzog government is likely.

Like last time though, labor seems to be doing everything to turn off potential voters from the left.
Their campaign is toss so far. They should drink YA blood and attack Likud as an idea. But that's Livni for you, gonna miss out on being PM 3 times in 6 years...not even Peres managed that.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #495 on: February 06, 2015, 03:29:08 PM »

How likely is it that a "unity government" with Likud and Labor will be formed, Hnv1? Bibi would of course prefer a right-wing government. It depends on Lieberman and Kachlon. But wouldn't that be a nightmare scenario for Labor?
danny
Israel

« Reply #496 on: February 06, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »

How likely is it that a "unity government" with Likud and Labor will be formed, Hnv1? Bibi would of course prefer a right-wing government. It depends on Lieberman and Kachlon. But wouldn't that be a nightmare scenario for Labor?

He would prefer a unity government. Bibi has shown that he doesn't want to be the most the extreme part of his coalition,  he'll definitely try to avoid an all right wing coalition.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #497 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »

He would prefer a unity government. Bibi has shown that he doesn't want to be the most the extreme part of his coalition,  he'll definitely try to avoid an all right wing coalition.
Hmm. Interesting thought. It must've been really annoying for him that Uri Ariel used to plan new houses in J&S while he was negotiating with Abu Mazen. But overall, he's had more trouble in the last government - with Yesh Atid and with Livni - than in the government before, I thought.

For Bibi it wouldn't even be that bad, but a unity government might destroy Likud's popularity, although it will probably destroy Labor's popularity even more. That would almost certainly mean new elections within two years.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #498 on: February 06, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »

Bibi mostly wants to be Prime Minister For Life.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #499 on: February 06, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »

He would prefer a unity government. Bibi has shown that he doesn't want to be the most the extreme part of his coalition,  he'll definitely try to avoid an all right wing coalition.
Hmm. Interesting thought. It must've been really annoying for him that Uri Ariel used to plan new houses in J&S while he was negotiating with Abu Mazen. But overall, he's had more trouble in the last government - with Yesh Atid and with Livni - than in the government before, I thought.

For Bibi it wouldn't even be that bad, but a unity government might destroy Likud's popularity, although it will probably destroy Labor's popularity even more. That would almost certainly mean new elections within two years.

Why do you think a unity government would destroy Likud's popularity? It was in a unity government with Yesh Atid and it had no effect. It was in a unity government with Mofaz's Kadima and it had no effect. It was in a unity government with Barak's Labor and it had no effect. It was in a unity government under Sharon with Ben-Eliezer's Labor and it had no effect. It's been in a government with a party to its left more often than it's not been.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies