Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:59:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 56
Author Topic: Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015  (Read 168430 times)
MalaspinaGold

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2014, 01:05:16 AM »

And it looks like Yishai trolled us- the name will in fact be Ha'am Itanu- The Nation is with us

In his kickoff speech he sounds like a Kachlon copycat:
“The nation is with us because the nation wants unity, wants to finally break down the barriers between the religious and secular, between Ashkenazi and Sephardi [Jews],” Yishai said. “The nation is with us because the nation wants social justice and concern for the poor, to the underprivileged, the periphery and development towns."

Also, Chetboun has officially joined in with Yishai, but it doesn't seem like he'll be getting many if any Shas MKs, most of them pledged their loyalty to Deri already- then again you never know.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/ex-shas-mk-yishai-called-traitor-as-he-unveils-new-party/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2014, 01:10:46 AM »

I know it's just a platitude but breaking down the barriers between secular and religious sounds like an odd appeal from a party that is presumably trying to persuade Tekuma to join on the grounds that the Jewish Home isn't pious enough.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2014, 02:33:03 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2014, 02:42:23 AM by MalaspinaGold »

Here's a video of the Yishai press conference... all seemed to go smoothly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nplcoZXLn-I#t=87

EDIT: So, people seem to be confused as to what exactly Yishai's party name will be- some say Ha'am Itanu, others say Yachad.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »

Chetboun was head to head with Yogev on the dumbest MK

Tkuma might stay with JH who are expecting a very interesting primaries with dozens of candidates/

Bibi wants to reserve two spots for his candidates (rumoured to be former almost Cos MG Gallant), so far the party tribunal declared the move void
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »

Labor MP Avishay Braverman will not run for re-election.
danny
Israel

« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »

EDIT: So, people seem to be confused as to what exactly Yishai's party name will be- some say Ha'am Itanu, others say Yachad.

there is no name yet.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2014, 01:58:22 PM »

Labor is trying to get Manuel Trajtenberg as their new resident economics expert.

Of course he's already being courted by Kahlon as well. I think that's where he'll end up going (if he runs at all) because he'll get a higher slot and is more likely to get a ministry that way.

I think if Herzog insists on having an economics wonk, it will probably end up being that Sephardic guy who was like number 13 or something on Livni's list last time whose name I can't remember. So no one good.

MalaspinaGold

« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »

Bahloul will run with Labor, as will most likely Trajtenberg.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/soccer-radio-wiz-bahloul-likely-to-run-for-labor-seat/
This will be a loss for Meretz and Kachlon respectively.

Anyone know Trajtenberg's economic views?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »

Bahloul will run with Labor, as will most likely Trajtenberg.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/soccer-radio-wiz-bahloul-likely-to-run-for-labor-seat/
This will be a loss for Meretz and Kachlon respectively.

Anyone know Trajtenberg's economic views?
centre-right. On one hand increase in government budgets to education and such and on the other disliking of a strong welfare state, high taxes and public ownership of many companies
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »

What happens if Likud gets the exact same number of seats as either Jewish Home or the Labour coalition? Which one gets to try to form a coalition?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »

Whoever bribes Rivlin more Tongue

Just kidding, it's  whoever bribes Kachon more, since it's almost certain no one can get a majority without him, and it depends on how the other center parties do- the more seats Lieberman has, the more likely Bibi will form the coalition.

What's interesting is with the fragmentation of Shas, Yesh Atid now has a chance of being larger than Shas + UTJ, and so a secular-left coalition is not out of the running yet.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2014, 07:36:40 PM »

Trajtenberg is getting the spot people thought was going to Mofaz?
danny
Israel

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »

What happens if Likud gets the exact same number of seats as either Jewish Home or the Labour coalition? Which one gets to try to form a coalition?
It doesn't go by which party is the biggest, the important thing is which party can form a coalition with a majority of Knesset members. Kadima had 1 more seat in 2009, but Bibi still became PM, because he managed to create a coalition.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »

He'll probably get the second spot secured for Livni's people (which will mean we'll see Mitzna booted to a very unrealistic place). Mofaz is not quite there yet and from what I gather from friends in Labour there are many people there who do'n't want to see him getting that spot. Mofaz is both right wing, unappealing, and has a hunch of huge debts with Kadima.
Diskin is still reluctant to hop in so Labour have to decide between Mofaz and former MG Yadlin (who isn't that dovish as well). We might see a very funny thing when Meretz will have an ex general on the list (Eyal Ben Reuven) and Labour won't.

Only 38 candidates  in the Labour primaries with no new big names. Bahloul I mentioned earlier decided to try his luck there.

I think that with the new threshold and the mess the political map is in we might even see another election very soon.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »

I thought Kadima will join the Labor-Hatnuah list.  What happen to that ?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »

Is Mofaz a 'wanted' recruit? He was Defense Minister for four years, is not corrupt, and can claim that he played a role in ending the Second Intifada. His electoral record isn't the best, but surely that's a profile parties might look for?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 01:37:11 AM by MalaspinaGold »

He'll probably get the second spot secured for Livni's people (which will mean we'll see Mitzna booted to a very unrealistic place). Mofaz is not quite there yet and from what I gather from friends in Labour there are many people there who do'n't want to see him getting that spot. Mofaz is both right wing, unappealing, and has a hunch of huge debts with Kadima.
Diskin is still reluctant to hop in so Labour have to decide between Mofaz and former MG Yadlin (who isn't that dovish as well). We might see a very funny thing when Meretz will have an ex general on the list (Eyal Ben Reuven) and Labour won't.

Only 38 candidates  in the Labour primaries with no new big names. Bahloul I mentioned earlier decided to try his luck there.

I think that with the new threshold and the mess the political map is in we might even see another election very soon.
What is the probability of this happening?
EDIT: Nvm, here's a Ynet article mentioning him running, along with Avirama Golan and Avi Dabush:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4602577,00.html

About Trajtenberg, I guess I see the reason for him to join with Labor-Livni rather than Kachlon- since Labor-Livni is much more likely to form a coalition than Kachlon, he is in a better position to unconditionally demand the finance ministry, especially since Kachlon will possibly angle for that position also.

Regarding Mitzna, is there a possibility that he might run with labor, rather than accept 25th place or whatever through Livni? It is his old party after all.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2014, 01:55:24 AM »

I would actually think he had a much better chance at being Finance Minister with Kahlon.

Labor might form a coalition but they will need so many partners they are unlikely to have any of the big posts. Foreign, Defense, and Finance will all have to go to coalition partners.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »

Stern breaks with Livni, he may decide to join another party...
http://www.timesofisrael.com/mk-stern-breaks-from-hatnua-blames-livni/
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2014, 08:23:10 PM by Famous Mortimer »

More news on the lame duck Knesset:

Yisrael Hasson officially resigned and was replaced by the 6th person on the Kadima list, Yuval Zellner, a former Laborite best known for briefly replacing Tzipi Livni when she resigned after losing the Kadima leadership to Shaul Mofaz.

Former MKs Yohanan Plesner, Ronit Tirosh, and Shai Hermesh all opted not to bother taking the seat.

Also, and I'm surprised this didn't get more coverage, Binyamin Ben-Eliezer resigned for health reasons. It had been in the cards for a while but I'm surprised he didn't just finish his term.

The next person on the Labor list was appropriately Danny Atar, a protege of Ben-Eliezer. Like the Kadima members though, he opted not to take the seat and it was instead given to the next person on the list, Labor's top Arab Raleb Majadele. I wonder if he opted out for his own reasons or if Labor pressured him to get an Arab MK again.
danny
Israel

« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2014, 10:11:28 PM »

There's a Muslim running in the Jewish Home primaries who's attracted some attention named Anett Haskia: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/188477#.VIjK2mTF9As

Ironically, while she's originally from Acre, she moved to Kibbutz Yehiam, a place where in the last elections Meretz was the biggest party followed by Labour, Lapid, and Livni, with the right being almost non-existent. So an Arab moving into an all Jewish place, is going to be one of the only right wingers there.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »

A big corruption scandal involving Israel Beitenu (surprise surprise) with deputy minister Kirshenbaum, former minister Maszhinkov and many party politicos involved. Liberman is trying to break to the centre this might make him re-break to the right again
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »

Likud comptroller disqualifies Netanyahu from Likud leadership race; PM likely to appeal

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-Elections/Likud-comptroller-disqualifies-Netanyahu-from-Likud-leadership-race-PM-likely-to-appeal-385611

Wow.  Now that's intra-party infighting.  One way or another this does not make Netanyahu look that good for the general election.

danny
Israel

« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2014, 09:16:22 AM »

Likud comptroller disqualifies Netanyahu from Likud leadership race; PM likely to appeal

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-Elections/Likud-comptroller-disqualifies-Netanyahu-from-Likud-leadership-race-PM-likely-to-appeal-385611

Wow.  Now that's intra-party infighting.  One way or another this does not make Netanyahu look that good for the general election.

I doubt anything comes out of this, and assuming Bibi will run as usual, I don't think people will care.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2014, 03:06:42 PM by Vosem »

The actual Hatnuah members don't seem to be very enthusiastic about the agreement Livni has set up; both David Tzur and Amram Mitzna have announced over the past few days that they won't be seeking reelection; and Elazar Stern has already said that he would be seeking reelection with a party other than the new Labor-Hatnuah list (which it's increasingly clear is basically just Labor, with Trajtenberg having been recruited by Labor and promised one of Hatnuah's slots).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies