Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:02:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel General Election Thread: March 17 2015  (Read 168819 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 17, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »

With JL unlikely to participate in any government, is a minority government that has a plurality of the non-JL seats possible, or does the Israeli constitution mandate a new government have a majority of the whole number of seats?  (That is, would 54 seats be enough, and if so could the left pull that off?)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:14:49 AM »

Again, what gets to me isn't so much Netanyahu's hawkishness in general as the specific fact that a major plank of his platform is, essentially, outright refusing to try to take advantage of a situation that could, if played right, give him a fighting chance of finally putting his country at peace. How come this man has yet to be run out of the Knesset on a rail?!

I think we have to question whether a plurality of Isreali people care about that.

I have to believe that a plurality of Israeli people would rather live in a democracy at peace than a hybrid regime at perpetual war. I have to.

They do, but they also have come to doubt that a two-state solution is possible, and frankly I agree that the chance for a two-state solution is gone.  Possibly not forever, but certainly for the next decade at minimum.  A one-state solution with a Jewish minority isn't viable right now either, and certainly would run counter to Zionist aspirations even if it were possible.  If one thinks there currently is no option other than perpetual war, is it really surprising that some voters base their vote on who they think will best wage that war?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:15:46 AM »

So the last-minute "no statehood" pledge worked?

Yep. And, BTW, very likely it is exactly the one that is going to hold. Because another 10 years, and the Arabs will not be asking for a state.

I'm 99.999999999999% certain that isn't going to be the case.

Do not be that certain. Because they will be asking for the vote.

Asking might not be the right word to use.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies