English Proficiency Index: Danes are the best non-native English-speakers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:29:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  English Proficiency Index: Danes are the best non-native English-speakers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: English Proficiency Index: Danes are the best non-native English-speakers  (Read 5377 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 02:47:15 PM »

Yes, because you are from Hessen and speak "High-German".

But we Austrians always shiver when we hear Germans use "kucken" instead of "schauen", "Quark" instead of "Topfen", "Tüte" instead of "Sackerl", "eine Eins im Zeugnis bekommen" instead of "einen Einser im Zeugnis bekommen", "Laken" instead of "Leintuch" or when you guys pronounce "China" as "Schiiina" instead of "Kina" or "Chemie" as "Schemie" instead of "Keemie".

And a 1000 other words that I currently don't remember ... Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »

Yes, because you are from Hessen and speak "High-German".

But we Austrians always shiver when we hear Germans use "kucken" instead of "schauen", "Quark" instead of "Topfen", "Tüte" instead of "Sackerl", "eine Eins im Zeugnis bekommen" instead of "einen Einser im Zeugnis bekommen", "Laken" instead of "Leintuch" or when you guys pronounce "China" as "Schiiina" instead of "Kina" or "Chemie" as "Schemie" instead of "Keemie".

And a 1000 other words that I currently don't remember ... Wink

I'm guilty of each and every one of those Smiley
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 04:17:47 AM »

Austrian "das wird sich ausgehen" is rather similar to "it's going to work out." We don't use that in Standard German though. Is there some ancient Austro-Anglo link?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 04:37:16 AM »

Austrian "das wird sich ausgehen" is rather similar to "it's going to work out." We don't use that in Standard German though. Is there some ancient Austro-Anglo link?

What do you guys use again for "das wird sich ausgehen" ?

Don't know about the ancient Austro-Anglo link. Maybe it has to do with the Germanic/Celtic population movements, or it's just a dialect thing.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 04:46:28 AM »

Don't know about the ancient Austro-Anglo link. Maybe it has to do with the Germanic/Celtic population movements, or it's just a dialect thing.

Das klappt/passt/geht/funktioniert schon, I think. I've never heard the Austrian version before.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 04:53:51 AM »

Das klappt/passt/geht/funktioniert schon, I think. I've never heard the Austrian version before.

Ah yeah.

So in this case it's not that different.

I often use "Das passt/geht/funktioniert". But I also say "das wird sich schon ausgehen" a lot when you refer to stuff that is "hopefully going to work out fine" in the future, not the present (for which you are using the other words).

I never use the word "klappen" though (=> a typical Standard/North-German word).
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »

Ah yeah.

I often use "Das passt/geht/funktioniert". But I also say "das wird sich schon ausgehen" a lot when you refer to stuff that is "hopefully going to work out fine" in the future, not the present (for which you are using the other words).

I never use the word "klappen" though (=> a typical Standard/North-German word).

Yeah, I'm pretty much like Tender here. I far more often say "Das wird schon gehen" instead of "Das geht schon" -> so also this present/future thing....

Haha, yeah, "klappen" is so typically German...

Another thing I so often hear with this German German/Austrian German thing, is that German do use the word "hässlich", while we (I assume you too, Tender) would say "schiach" (given that's Austrian/South German dialect, but still, noone says "hässlich") Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 08:54:33 AM »

I would never have guessed (except in context) that "schiach" had something to do with "hässlich".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »

Ah yeah.

Yeah, I'm pretty much like Tender here. I far more often say "Das wird schon gehen" instead of "Das geht schon" -> so also this present/future thing....

Haha, yeah, "klappen" is so typically German...

Another thing I so often hear with this German German/Austrian German thing, is that German do use the word "hässlich", while we (I assume you too, Tender) would say "schiach" (given that's Austrian/South German dialect, but still, noone says "hässlich") Tongue

Yepp.

And then there's of course the classical "Oachkatzlschwoaf" or the "Iaxnboscht", which German folks outside or north of Bavaria can't even pronounce (and most of them probably won't even know what it means) ... Wink
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 04:52:43 AM »

The most outstanding are of course those sweet guttural sounds South Germans and Austrians do, if they use diminuitives. Noone here can pronounce "-erl" properly. ;-)
An Eichhörnchen isn't a cat, obviously. And only a comet has a Schweif.

"Kann es sein, dass Weibsvolk anwesend ist?" is the only way I could imagine a proper use of womenfolk. I think, Tender will get the reference. ;-)

I like it how the topic of this thread evolved into Austrian-German language differences.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies