People of the Republic of Atlasia vs. Alfred F. Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:42:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  People of the Republic of Atlasia vs. Alfred F. Jones
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: People of the Republic of Atlasia vs. Alfred F. Jones  (Read 3026 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »

The office of the Attorney General charges Alfred F. Jones with rebellion, terrorism and secession pursuant to the Re-Consolidated Criminal Justice Act:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

For your reference, I will again cite what the Constitution states regarding trials and the admissibility of evidence:

I will submit evidence if the Court decides to hear the case and thank the honorable Judges for their attention and time.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »

I humbly request that the Court not grant certiorari in this case. I'd much rather we put the past in the past - I have a nation to build.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 01:42:05 PM »

We, the Supreme Pontiff of the Northeast Catholic Church and Sovereign of the Papal Patch, are extremely concerned and dissapointed with this presecution of our beloved brother and loyal Camerlengo, Alfred, Prince of the Church.

Don't be mean

/-/ Callixtus IV
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »

Uhm... OK, I know the law is the law, but facing charges for secession? I'm deeply concerned about that.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 02:59:28 AM »

This has been seen.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »

Official Atlasia Supreme Court Release
Nyman, DC

People of the Republic of Atlasia v. Alfred F. Jones

The Supreme Court of Atlasia has discussed this matter and designated senior Associate Justice Oakvale to preside over the trial of Alfred F. Jones, who stands accused of three counts of rebellion, terrorism and secession.

The Court reminds the defendant that he has the right to legal counsel as guaranteed in Art. III, §2 of the Constitution. If he wishes to waive this right he should inform the Court of this.

These proceedings shall be governed according to  Art. III, §2 the Constitution of Atlasia, in conjunction with the Re-Consolidated Criminal Justice Act (2013).

Should the defendant plead no contest or enter a guilty plea, the jury empanelling process will be bypassed and the presiding Justice will proceed to sentencing.

The details of the trial will be announced upon the entry of a plea and the Attorney General and Mr. Jones being informed.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »

Yo, I'm pretty sure BK's my lawyer.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »

I will be representing the defendant.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 05:42:27 AM »

If the defendant disputes the charges I suggest the Northeast as the region where the jury empaneling process shall take place.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 09:20:25 AM »

*bangs gavel*

Okay, let's get started.

Court notes that the defendant is being represented by Bacon Kingman as counsel. Mr. Kingman, how does your client plead in relation to the charges of rebellion, terrorism and secession?

If the defendant disputes the charges I suggest the Northeast as the region where the jury empaneling process shall take place.

That seems reasonable.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »

I would like to enter negotiations with the Attorney General for a plea bargain. I request the minimum sentence he would find amenable.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 04:56:21 AM »

If the defendant is ready to plead guilty I am willing to enter into a plea bargain.

Due to the severity of the charges brought against Alfred F. Jones and the example of a recent case, namely People of the Republic of Atlasia v. hifly15, we should, however, bear in mind that the result of our plea bargain and the verdict of the court may differ considerably.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 03:04:34 AM »

I move to formally request the prosecution to accept a conditional plea.

Conditional on the acceptance of the above by all parties, my client wishes to conditionally plead guilty of all charges, on the condition that he is not prohibited from voting for a greater duration of time than two months.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 06:32:46 AM »

I humbly request that the Court have mercy on my poor soul.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 09:49:08 AM by ZuWo »

Conditional on the acceptance of the above by all parties, my client wishes to conditionally plead guilty of all charges, on the condition that he is not prohibited from voting for a greater duration of time than two months.

The maximum sentence for acts of treason is, according to the Re-Consolidated Criminal Justice Act, a lifetime ban from voting and holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia. Indeed, Alfred F. Jones' case appears very similar to the case of Snowstalker, who was sentenced to a three-year ban from voting and a lifetime ban from holding any office. While I appreciate the defendant's readiness to plead guilty I must say that a mere two-month ban from voting would seem a very lenient form of punishment, to put it mildly.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »

The maximum sentence for acts of treason is, according to the Re-Consolidated Criminal Justice Act, a lifetime ban from voting and holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia. Indeed, Alfred F. Jones' case appears very similar to the case of Snowstalker, who was sentenced to a three-year ban from voting and a lifetime ban from holding any office. While I appreciate the defendant's readiness to plead guilty I must say that a mere two-month ban from voting would seem a very lenient form of punishment, to put it mildly.

mitigating circumstances exist, including the fact that my client never threatened the use of nuclear weapons against the republic, and indeed did not directly threaten the use of violence against anyone. the terrorism charge is, in its entirety, a stretch. You can add whatever ban on office-holding you want on top of the two month ban, but two-months ban on voting is the most my client will agree to for purposes of a plea bargain.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 01:49:01 PM »

Not only in the case of Snowstalker but also in the case People of the Republic of Atlasia v. hifly15 the court has made clear that it takes treason and crimes against Atlasia very seriously. I acknowledge the mitigating facts that have been mentioned but I cannot accept the two-month ban on voting the defendant has suggested. Considering the evidence we have and recent rulings of the court I simply do not believe this is realistic.

The most lenient sentence I consider appropriate for the charges brought against the defendant is a six-month ban on voting and a ban from officeholding of the same duration or longer. If the defendant insists on the mere two-months vote ban I am afraid a plea bargain probably can't be made.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 01:54:36 PM »

I am now consulting with my client concerning the plea deal.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 05:02:54 PM »

I accept the plea deal.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »

My client conditionally agrees to conditionally plea guilty on the condition that his sentence gives him a voting ban of no greater than six months, on the condition that the judge accepts and adheres to the conditional plea.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 07:22:34 PM »

I have no objection to fulfilling that condition.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 05:52:11 AM »

I am glad to see the defendant accepts the plea deal.

Would the court still like to see the evidence that the prosecution gathered? If yes, I will be able to present the evidence any time.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »

Excellent! Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »

I think that would be helpful in determining the length of the office holding ban, Mr. Attorney General, yes.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »

I would like to direct the court's attention to this thread in particular.

Indeed, as the following posts show Alfred F. Jones was in command of an army that, in an act of rebellion against the Republic of Atlasia, seized control of parts of the Northeast Region. He went on to call the newly formed "Free Republic", which he claimed to have seceded from Atlasia, by the name of "Ganonsyoni":

My fellow citizens, I come to you again today with a most urgent and liberatory message. As of now, the Northeast People's Hastily Constructed Cardboard Liberation Army is marching due south, or at least in a vaguely southerly direction. We shall continue to march thusly until the great city of Pittsburgh and the great state of Pennsylvania have been liberated. I encourage all my fellow citizens to rise up and rebel against the tyranny of oppressive governments and enter a new age of justice and freedom.

Fax mentis est incedium gloriae.

Alfred's Hastily Constructed Cardboard Naming Process

Seeing as "the Northeast" defines this great land in relation to another nation, it is hereby resolved by His Holiness Pope Alfred, President of the Nation Formerly Known as the Northeast Region, that this region is to cast off the chains of Atlasian oppression completely and totally. Therefore, we shall unshackle ourselves from being simply "the place northeast of Atlasia", a name given to us by our oppressors, but instead we shall return to the true name of this land, the land of the first peoples to build their longhouses here. From this day forth the Free Northeastern Republic is now known as the Free Republic of Ganonsyoni, or Ganonsyoni for short.

Fax mentis est incendium gloriae.

The defendant also openly admitted to having seceded from Atlasia in at least one other thread:

It's people like you who made me secede. Also people like Tyrion.

Furthermore, the following remarks strongly suggest the defendant's involvement in violent activities against legitimate Atlasian military forces, hence the charge of terrorism:

With the momentum of the Rochesterian people on our side, we have managed to repulse the counterrevolutionary forces from their attempted conquest of our capital and have regained control over most of the Greater Rochester area.

]
This is to represent the people of this land both past and present, the blood we have shed and will continue to shed (if so necessary) for our freedom, and the noble spirit of our citizenry, respectively. That is all. May Ganonsyoni forever be free.

The only violence will be that brought on Pittsburgh by itself. As for me, I am in no condition to fly out to as-yet-unliberated territory and get snatched up by government thugs.

And the conquest of Buffalo went along perfectly well. I, for one, would not like to see Pittsburgh in the same situation as Rochester was left in after we had rebuffed the Atlasian troops.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies