is the term "white working class" a double count?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:50:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  is the term "white working class" a double count?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is the term "white working class" a double count?  (Read 640 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »

An example of a double count for instance is minorities and young voters when many minorities are young voters. Is it possible that the white working class is a double count because many in the wwc are in occupations/backgrounds hostile to dems (i.e. army/law enforcement) and disproportionately evangelical compared to non working class whites (who are more mainline/unitarian/jewish).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »

So? It's clear that many white working class voters who were once open to voting Democratic have turned away from the party, so whether they have a military or evangelical background shouldn't matter, unless you think there's been a sudden surge in military or evangelical voters recently.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »

So? It's clear that many white working class voters who were once open to voting Democratic have turned away from the party, so whether they have a military or evangelical background shouldn't matter, unless you think there's been a sudden surge in military or evangelical voters recently.

I wouldn't count many military or evangelical voters to be a part of the white working class. As many  of them fit into the middle class or upper class category.

Likewise some of these voters aren't even white to begin with.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »

Beet's right.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »

what I mean is that once you control for things like religiosity, military service, gun ownership - how do democrats do with wwc vs non-wwc whites? If the dems still do a lot worse with the wwc when controlling for that, then thats a problem. Otherwise, the dems shouldn't be ashamed to lose the wwc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies