Opinion of "New Atheism"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:49:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of "New Atheism"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom Atheism (Theist)

Horrible Atheism (Theist)

Freedom Atheism (Atheist)

Horrible Atheism (Atheist)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of "New Atheism"  (Read 1431 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 06:04:06 AM »

Didn't know what it was until I googled it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Seems pretty terrible, these people might as well call themselves anti-theists instead.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »

They too often simplify the most intriguing and complicated debate of human history.  Too often it seems that, in the mind of someone like Richard Dawkins, one is to either be smart/critically thinking/rational and believe that there is no higher power/intelligence/consciousness of any sort or else they are a superstitious/ignorant/dumb sheep who follows mythology.  Cannot one be an incredibly bright, scientifically minded person who simply has trouble with the blank notion that the Universe created itself from nothing with no external, guiding force?  Paul Davies comes to mind as a brilliant physicist who also feels it necessary to at least entertain the idea of a "creator" of some sort.  That's what Christians and other religions believe in at the end of the day: an undefinable higher intelligence that is responsible for the perceived design in the cosmos ... These faiths have simply assigned the name God to such a being, and unfortunately that leads many atheists to characterize non-atheists as worshiping a "man in the sky," which honestly makes said atheists come across as just as close minded and ignorant as the fundies.  Of course, that doesn't even come close to describing all atheists, but fundamentalists don't even come close to describing all theists.  HA, overall.

Also, I've never seen such a tiny percentage of the population get so much attention.  I've never seen a poll with atheists comprising any more than 5% of the population.  Yes, there are many more who aren't religious, but that does NOT equal atheist.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »

Also, I've never seen such a tiny percentage of the population get so much attention.  I've never seen a poll with atheists comprising any more than 5% of the population.  Yes, there are many more who aren't religious, but that does NOT equal atheist.

I would instead look at atheism as part of a greater non-religious community, which would include atheists, agnostics, people with no religion and secular religious people who don't believe in any religious doctrine seriously.  Someone who is merely a deist in a very bare sense that they believe in some mystical thing like "the human spirit" or "nature" or "love," is basically an atheist.

Belief in God in that sense, existing or not, is actually pretty inconsequential, right?  That debate is basically an irrelevant philosophical argument.  There's no reason to believe in God certainly, but it's an attractive, comforting idea for some people.

The real step off the deep end with religion is when you start saying, God told me to do XYZ.  That's the problem with religion anyway in the eyes of atheists.  It's not so much the religion itself, it's the irrational, harmful behavior caused by magical thinking which predicates religious belief.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »

The real step off the deep end with religion is when you start saying, God told me to do XYZ. 

Like how every Republican presidential candidate says God told them to run for president?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »

The real step off the deep end with religion is when you start saying, God told me to do XYZ. 

Like how every Republican presidential candidate says God told them to run for president?

Democratic politicians talk about God quite a bit, too.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »

Better than New Labour at least.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »

Mike Huckabee was told by God not to run in 2012 apparently, so I have no idea what that means for him, then.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 02:43:35 AM »

Mike Huckabee was told by God not to run in 2012 apparently, so I have no idea what that means for him, then.

It means Huckabee is God's favorite. All the others, he just wanted an entertaining clowncar. Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 03:08:56 AM »

New Atheism is really terrible. Because when you're a tiny minority of the overall population, the answer is to be antagonistic and make enemies out of the majority.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »

What is "Old Atheism", and how does "New Atheism" differ from that? I never even seen a good argument for how there is something "new" about the latter. As far as I can see it's just an attempt to give a pejorative term to the anti-religious views of a handful of "celebrity Atheists", most notably Hitchens and Dawkins, views that are not new at all.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies