Opinion of "New Atheism" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:28:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of "New Atheism" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom Atheism (Theist)

Horrible Atheism (Theist)

Freedom Atheism (Atheist)

Horrible Atheism (Atheist)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of "New Atheism"  (Read 1410 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: December 02, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »

It's a silly term, but as Nix suggested, it is all to easy and a more than a little unfair to vote HP considering it served the valuable function of forcing critical thinking and introspection about religion into the mainstream conversation.

Like so many things, hating on it strikes me as a convenient way to posture about your superiority to "those" people, without disagreeing substantively with almost anything about it when it comes to the merits.

I owe my self-critical and skeptical nature, even the very practical and empirical fashion with which I argue in general, to the movement, such as it is, and what it inspired on YouTube and elsewhere from 2006 and onward.

Of course, it was when some aspects of atheism (Atheism+ types, etc) decided they missed having a dogma to live by that I decided it was rather silly to place such a high importance on the term for myself, but that's certainly not the fault of "new atheism."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies