Considering becoming a humanist celebrant.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:49:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Considering becoming a humanist celebrant.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Considering becoming a humanist celebrant.  (Read 776 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »

Despite being in demand in post-Christian Scotland with Humanist weddings expected to become the largest 'religious' wedding in Scotland (they currently sit second), they rightly look for good and positive attributes in people to not only marry and share the joy of marriage, but also to bring out a little joy and reflection in funerals. I really think I can do this, but I have some slight self doubt. How can I lead the celebration, but step back? Someone who I know who is a celebrant has kindly said that he can listen to me talk about what it means to die; to cease to be and come away with a smile on their face, which I think coming from someone else is a good endorsement. I really don't know; little self doubt over whether I could hold it together!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »

Depends.  Is there a reason besides trying to avoid religious terminology in calling the post celebrant and not pastor?  I.e., would you be expected to be available to help people with non-public occasions or just their public celebrations of significant milestones in their lives?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 06:58:12 AM »

Depends.  Is there a reason besides trying to avoid religious terminology in calling the post celebrant and not pastor?  I.e., would you be expected to be available to help people with non-public occasions or just their public celebrations of significant milestones in their lives?

It's not the same role. It's to act as a celebrant in naming ceremonies, weddings (Humanism in Scotland is granted a similar status to a religion when it comes to conducting weddings) and funerals in accordance with humanist principles of people being able to give 'meaning and shape to their own lives.' In terms of help outside of that, well you turn to your friends, family and professionals. If anyone wanted to talk to me about such matters I could help them in my capacity as simply being another person.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:32:17 AM »

Seems like a pale imitation of a pastor to me, yet even for many religious people that's all they seek out of a pastor as well.  I suppose the lack of religious celebrants is due primarily to most non-celibate denominations having a surplus of pastors relative to the demand, so there's no need for a person whose role is to perform a subset of the pastoral duties.  Is there such a thing over there as a Humanist pastor, by whatever title the office may have?

But back to your own personal situation.  It's sort of hard to judge people's personal skills over the internet, but I think that for the role of celebrant, I'd expect you to be at a minimum adequate to the task, and more than adequate if it is a role you feel a calling to perform.  Indeed, if you feel the calling, I think you would do well as a Humanist "pastor".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies