Is there such a thing as objective reality? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:11:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is there such a thing as objective reality? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there such a thing as objective reality?  (Read 7738 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: December 04, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »

If reality is so loosely weaved, leave your house by the second floor window because you strongly believe you will be able to leave the house that way and then see if your assumption holds up.

From your perspective, I might be dead. From my perspective, though, the universe itself would have ceased to exist along with me. That's exactly what I mean. Does reality exist for me separately from my perception of it? Rather, it seems like it's constructed by my perception of it.

If the universe does not exist apart from you, what accounts for discovery and surprise? Wouldn't you have to argue that when you are surprised, it's really some part of your mind revealing itself to some other part of your mind? Also, it seems a bit implausible that a universe constructed by the mind (or "perception") would be so precise. When I dream, the laws of physics are certainly not precise. But when I am waking, they are. The only way this could be internally generated is if all the laws of physics were somehow inside of me, and I brought them forward by some ulterior process akin to the doctrine of recollection.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »

A better statement of the idealist view might be that there is something out "there", but the minute we try to observe it or think about it in any way, we are committing an act of the mind, as Al mentioned. A peculiar implication of this might be that the statement "the universe would still exist without any mind" is incoherent, for it presupposes meaning to the term "universe", which is a mental creation. It also presupposes a distinction between existence and non existence, which is a mental creation.

In any case, I believe memphis is correct.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies