Is there such a thing as objective reality? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:12:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is there such a thing as objective reality? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there such a thing as objective reality?  (Read 7737 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: December 03, 2014, 04:05:42 PM »
« edited: December 03, 2014, 04:07:56 PM by afleitch »

If reality is so loosely weaved, leave your house by the second floor window because you strongly believe you will be able to leave the house that way and then see if your assumption holds up.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »

If reality is so loosely weaved, leave your house by the second floor window because you strongly believe you will be able to leave the house that way and then see if your assumption holds up.

From your perspective, I might be dead. From my perspective, though, the universe itself would have ceased to exist along with me. That's exactly what I mean. Does reality exist for me separately from my perception of it? Rather, it seems like it's constructed by my perception of it.

But you do admit that you will fall? Therefore there is an objective reality to that outcome?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:41:25 PM »

But if all our bodies inhabit this reality to quote Schrodinger, then it is 'reality' for us only in the basis that we can never know any other plateau. There's probably a shared reality for cats. What Mikado is saying is that 'reality' depends on the individual and allows for a variety of differing truths.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies