Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:08:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted  (Read 9245 times)
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »

Unlike the Ferguson case, the police here are very obviously in the wrong. Disgusting decision.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:29 PM »

Disgusting. I hope the AG's look into this brings justice.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 07:33:11 PM »

Granted, I don't know this "Reaganfan" poster's history, but I just hope we can all agree this is markedly different than Ferguson.  I LEANED toward indicting Officer Wilson, but I also could see it the other way...

This is very clearly a case of a police officer ... well, committing murder.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »

Staten Island is so vile sometimes.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 08:03:39 PM »

Mayor DeBlasio:  
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also,
New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand said that she was 'shocked' by the grand jury's decision saying that 'nobody unarmed should die on a New York City street corner for suspected low-level offences.'
Congressman Charlie Rangel was another elected New York City official who expressed frustration in the decision.
'Which side was the district attorney on? Was he seeking truth and justice in terms of the homicide?' said Rangel.
President Obama broke off from a planned speech to address the verdict saying, 'Police brutality is an American problem.'
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 08:23:53 PM »

We need Christopher Dorner back.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »

The President is absolutely right.  This is an American problem.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »

There is something about this that strikes a chord with me more than the Michael Brown shooting. Maybe because this guy didn't even try to fight back.

Damn shame.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »

I saw a really provocative art display today regarding the police.  With all the bad press the cops are getting lately it wasn't difficult to understand the piece, even for me.

We had a little fire alarm today at about 11:15 am.  I thought it was a drill, so I took my time exiting the building but I learned later that it was it was for real.  Apparently some freshman lab was doing a qualitative analysis experiment and one student thought that the best way to confirm that a particular sample of magnesium metal was indeed magnesium was to set it ablaze.  Actually, I agree with the student in principle.  Burning magnesium is a wonderful sight to behold.  Who needs a functioning retina, after all?

Anyway, I exited the building in the direction of my car, taking my things with me, on the outside chance that the building was actually in jeopardy.  On the way downstairs I mingled with a group of meteorologists and meteorology students from the fourth floor.  After arguing with a meteorologist over whether we were experiencing rain or drizzle--technically drizzle is defined by droplets with a diameter of less than 0.5 mm, which I learned today--I decided to wander over to the Art building, also known as Breidenstein Hall.  Why stand out in the rain (er, drizzle) like a chump, when I could saunter over to a neighboring building and enjoy their central heating? 

As luck would have it, a new student display was just going up.  It was in various stages of completion, so I probably didn't get the full effect, but it was fairly impressive and one piece really caught my attention.  It was entitled "Donate to your local police."  It featured a box, possibly cardboard, rectangular and tall, about one foot by one foot at the base and rising to a height of about four feet.  A small slit was cut in the top like a coinslot.  Over the box was draped a white sheet with bloodstains.  Of course it was reddish paint, but it was well done, with handprints and streaks resembling bloody marks.  Draped over that was a regulation U.S. Flag.  The flag covered the whole thing, so the first thing one sees from a distance is an American flag draped over a tall box, but when you get closer you see the bloodied sheet sticking out from it, and then you notice that it all covers a donation box.  The coinslot is very carefully cut through all layers:  flag, bloodstained sheet, and cardboard box.  Then one notices the title of the piece. 

It was all very evocative of cover-ups in the name of security and patriotism.  I haven't had an art appreciation class, but even a knuckle-dragging lowbrow like myself could appreciate this piece.  Brilliant.

t_host1

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »

In these parts, black and white law enforcement –retired and academy instructors - say the take down of Garner was by the book. Apparently, officers are taught a hold that is on the side of the neck, blocking an artery, causing weakness and blackout so to hand cuff the non-responsive perp. of law enforcement orders. What’s more, the point that petty criminals do lie was confirmed at the point of mass confrontation – a person cannot speak if they cannot breath. It was not a choke hold that killed Garner.

The Charles Barkley doctrine in the end will unfortunately will also apply here.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »

The only person indicted in this case was the guy who filmed Garner's murder.

F**k all police.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 11:49:51 PM »

It's not different than a comedian telling a joke so funny someone laughs until they have a heart attack. It's sad, but it's not the fault of the comedian who told the joke.

get the fuck out
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 12:10:51 AM »

There seems to be a break in the video just before the physical confrontation starts... was Garner ever told that he was under arrest, and that he could either come peaceably or they would be forced to coerce him? That's the part that I didn't see in the video. It seems to me that a reasonable man, even an angry man, will intellectually agree to arrest than get into a fight he can't win. Therefore, by the full force of proper warning, peaceable compliance can be achieved, no?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 12:11:51 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2014, 12:14:00 AM by CountryClassSF »

He resisted arrest.  The multi-racial grand jury of 23  *likely* made the right decision.

Bleeding-heart libs  and media should wait for grand jury testimony/evidence to be released. It is highly likely to me that he was not in a chokehold since he was able to speak clearly. He was resisting arrest the entire time.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »

In these parts, black and white law enforcement –retired and academy instructors - say the take down of Garner was by the book. Apparently, officers are taught a hold that is on the side of the neck, blocking an artery, causing weakness and blackout so to hand cuff the non-responsive perp. of law enforcement orders. What’s more, the point that petty criminals do lie was confirmed at the point of mass confrontation – a person cannot speak if they cannot breath. It was not a choke hold that killed Garner.

The Charles Barkley doctrine in the end will unfortunately will also apply here.

I will admit that yes, I do tend to defend police. Not because my father was one, not because I grew up around them, but because nine times out of ten, their story actually is the accurate one.  

t_host1 is correct. What this case was had a heavyset angry male, being taken down by officers so that he could be handcuffed. Tragically, he died during it. It's not different than a comedian telling a joke so funny someone laughs until they have a heart attack. It's sad, but it's not the fault of the comedian who told the joke.

This was clearly a "suspect is down, handcuff him...oh s*it...he's dead." You CAN NOT bring that to a Grand Jury. The video of the trooper at the Gas Station, YES. You can. But this, and Michael Brown and probably the case in Cleveland, the law is most certainly on the side of the police. That's why I defend them.

It's like when someone bitches about getting a speeding ticket. They say, "The cop gave me a ticket because he said I was speeding." You ask, "Where you?" They say, "Yes." Well then what is the problem? There is no issue. You sped, the cop did his job and upheld the law, end of story.

The only thing that I adamantly deny is when you think I'm simply defending the cops because the other person is black. Do you think if Michael Brown did what he did but had white skin and the cop was a black man, do you think I'd be on here crying over Michael Brown? You know me better than that. It has NOTHING to do with race. I'm being honest. Hell, I have no shame, I would tell you if it did.

"Cops are just doing they're job! If they kill you during it then whoopsy-daisy!, you shouldn't have been doing minor crimes Smiley"

You're disgusting
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2014, 12:21:41 AM »

I don't think it's clear that he was resisting arrest. First of all, he was saying, "Don't touch me." That suggests he was still trying to communicate with the two officers- from his standpoint, it hadn't escalated beyond discussion. There was no attempt on his part to escape or defeat the officers in a physical confrontation. At most, he waved his arms around and turned his body while trying to talk with the officers. This is why, the break in the video is important, IMO. Was it clearly communicated to him, that he was in fact, under arrest, and that failure to comply would result in physical escalation? In other words, a warning? I think part of why this video is so explosive is that it seems to happen with no warning.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2014, 12:26:57 AM »

I don't think it's clear that he was resisting arrest. First of all, he was saying, "Don't touch me." That suggests he was still trying to communicate with the two officers- from his standpoint, it hadn't escalated beyond discussion. There was no attempt on his part to escape or defeat the officers in a physical confrontation. At most, he waved his arms around and turned his body while trying to talk with the officers. This is why, the break in the video is important, IMO. Was it clearly communicated to him, that he was in fact, under arrest, and that failure to comply would result in physical escalation? In other words, a warning? I think part of why this video is so explosive is that it seems to happen with no warning.

I know this may not sound PC, but at minimum, why do low-income neighborhoods seem to have this issue with people mouthing off to cops?

Let me attempt to do this without sounding insensitive, although I know it's difficult but I'm trying to make a point here.  Even an ACLU person would tell someone, even if you feel your constitutional rights are being violated, you save it for the COURTROOM, you don't mouth off on the streets.

Wouldn't it benefit society as a whole if these lower end neighborhoods would understand this?

I haven't seen the grand jury testimony, but my opinion is that he was not in an actual "chokehold" because he was able to speak clearly.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 12:28:24 AM »

I know this may not sound PC, but at minimum, why do low-income neighborhoods seem to have this issue with people mouthing off to cops?

Let me attempt to do this without sounding insensitive, although I know it's difficult but I'm trying to make a point here.  Even an ACLU person would tell someone, even if you feel your constitutional rights are being violated, you save it for the COURTROOM, you don't mouth off on the streets.

Wouldn't it benefit society as a whole if these lower end neighborhoods would understand this?

I haven't seen the grand jury testimony, but my opinion is that he was not in an actual "chokehold" because he was able to speak clearly.

Because lower class people have witnessed enough to know that cops aren't to be respected or trusted.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »

It's not different than a comedian telling a joke so funny someone laughs until they have a heart attack. It's sad, but it's not the fault of the comedian who told the joke.

get the fuck out

I think we all can agree that no conversation is possible with somebody, who, in a written post, with all the time in the world available to think, could deliberately write something like this. If at any time in the future I comment on anything Reaganfan says on any topic, please kick me.

This is beyond revolting. Honestly, I cannot believe that somebody could write this. Such utter lack of anything resembling human morality...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2014, 12:32:59 AM »

The chokehold he used is illegal in New York and the autopsy ruled it a homocide. Also, please consider just going away.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2014, 12:35:23 AM »

Cops are human beings, and civilians are human beings. I don't think its any great moral crime for one human being to speak to another frankly on the street, particularly if they have a history between them, as Mr. Garner seems to have with these officers. The balance of power is with the cops when there are a dozen of them surrounding one unarmed man, and when they have the full force of society's trust and authority behind them. It's their responsibility to be trained in human relations and excercise restraint.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2014, 12:37:39 AM »

I can't wait to hear Reaganfan's comments on this.

What a stupid comment.  If you can't see the horrific difference between this and the Ferguson case ... Well, you're stupid.  This is caught on camera and the cop is BLATANTLY guilty.  I disagreed with the Ferguson decision too, but it's moronic to lump people who defend this (no one I've seen yet...) and those who have doubts about the guilt of Officer Wilson together.  Come on.

As for the OP, wow this is disturbing.  That cop should VERY CLEARLY be criminally charged...

Naso has posted. Enjoy?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2014, 12:41:29 AM »

It seems that many prominent conservatives aren't even drinking the pro-police Kool-aid on this one.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/03/eric-garner-conservatives-chokehold_n_6264886.html
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2014, 12:52:03 AM »

I will admit that yes, I do tend to defend police. Not because my father was one, not because I grew up around them, but because nine times out of ten, their story actually is the accurate one. 

t_host1 is correct. What this case was had a heavyset angry male, being taken down by officers so that he could be handcuffed. Tragically, he died during it. It's not different than a comedian telling a joke so funny someone laughs until they have a heart attack. It's sad, but it's not the fault of the comedian who told the joke.

This was clearly a "suspect is down, handcuff him...oh s*it...he's dead." You CAN NOT bring that to a Grand Jury. The video of the trooper at the Gas Station, YES. You can. But this, and Michael Brown and probably the case in Cleveland, the law is most certainly on the side of the police. That's why I defend them.

It's like when someone bitches about getting a speeding ticket. They say, "The cop gave me a ticket because he said I was speeding." You ask, "Where you?" They say, "Yes." Well then what is the problem? There is no issue. You sped, the cop did his job and upheld the law, end of story.

The only thing that I adamantly deny is when you think I'm simply defending the cops because the other person is black. Do you think if Michael Brown did what he did but had white skin and the cop was a black man, do you think I'd be on here crying over Michael Brown? You know me better than that. It has NOTHING to do with race. I'm being honest. Hell, I have no shame, I would tell you if it did.

How the f*** is putting someone in an illegal chokehold even remotely comparable someone telling a funny joke??  Seriously where do you come up with this s***??
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2014, 02:52:30 AM »

Maybe because my first job was being in Military training it affects me differently, but I get the impression alot of anti-cop liberals never had to get screamed at, take it, and learn to live with saying, "Yes, sir."

Remember, I'm the guy who in 5th grade who didn't want to join three other students who were going to the office to complain about the old substitute teacher after she grabbed a punk student by the ear after multiple warnings to him for interrupting class. My reaction was, "He had it coming, he didn't listen."

Perhaps I'm just really tolerant of authority. It's strange, but I guess that's just me.

The policeman didn't respected authority either, through, Chokeholds are illegal in New York City since 1993, so, he didn't respected authority either. "He had it coming, he didn't listen to law."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies