Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:08:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted  (Read 9322 times)
KCDem

« on: December 04, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »

I don't think it's clear that he was resisting arrest. First of all, he was saying, "Don't touch me." That suggests he was still trying to communicate with the two officers- from his standpoint, it hadn't escalated beyond discussion. There was no attempt on his part to escape or defeat the officers in a physical confrontation. At most, he waved his arms around and turned his body while trying to talk with the officers. This is why, the break in the video is important, IMO. Was it clearly communicated to him, that he was in fact, under arrest, and that failure to comply would result in physical escalation? In other words, a warning? I think part of why this video is so explosive is that it seems to happen with no warning.

I know this may not sound PC, but at minimum, why do low-income neighborhoods seem to have this issue with people mouthing off to cops?

Let me attempt to do this without sounding insensitive, although I know it's difficult but I'm trying to make a point here.  Even an ACLU person would tell someone, even if you feel your constitutional rights are being violated, you save it for the COURTROOM, you don't mouth off on the streets.

Wouldn't it benefit society as a whole if these lower end neighborhoods would understand this?

I haven't seen the grand jury testimony, but my opinion is that he was not in an actual "chokehold" because he was able to speak clearly.

Maybe because my first job was being in Military training it affects me differently, but I get the impression alot of anti-cop liberals never had to get screamed at, take it, and learn to live with saying, "Yes, sir."

Remember, I'm the guy who in 5th grade who didn't want to join three other students who were going to the office to complain about the old substitute teacher after she grabbed a punk student by the ear after multiple warnings to him for interrupting class. My reaction was, "He had it coming, he didn't listen."

Perhaps I'm just really tolerant of authority. It's strange, but I guess that's just me.

If you are so tolerant of authority, start obeying and agreeing with your President.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies