Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:46:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted  (Read 9325 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 03, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »

Hard to tell because of the editing in the video available via the link, but it appears that the cops initially tried to peaceably arrest him and he just plain failed to come peaceably.  Assuming that was the case, then unless it was explicitly against NYPD policy to use chokeholds, I can't see where there anything shown in that video that is actionable.  Might have been something that wasn't in that video that should have led to a charge, but without some other evidence, I can't fault the grand jury here, and I say that as someone who thinks both Wilson and the cops in the Cleveland case should be charged.

If you're black in this country, you better do your damnedest to follow every order the cops bark at you. If you don't they will kill you and face no legal repercussions for it.

Haha, you think that'll protect them? That's cute. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFYTtgZAlE
^^
Guy pulls into gas station, gets out, cop pulls up. The cop tells him to get his license out, and literally as soon as he turns, the cop shoots him. Repeatedly. The guy is screaming that he's shot, the cop handcuffs him on the ground, and then goes about getting his ID from his wallet while the guy is bleeding from his leg. No cares, just another day of police brutality.

Actually the cop in that case has been both fired from his job and has been charged with felony assault and battery "of a high and aggravated nature" and faces up to 20 years if convicted.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:03:35 AM »

I don't think it's clear that he was resisting arrest. First of all, he was saying, "Don't touch me." That suggests he was still trying to communicate with the two officers- from his standpoint, it hadn't escalated beyond discussion. There was no attempt on his part to escape or defeat the officers in a physical confrontation. At most, he waved his arms around and turned his body while trying to talk with the officers. This is why, the break in the video is important, IMO. Was it clearly communicated to him, that he was in fact, under arrest, and that failure to comply would result in physical escalation? In other words, a warning? I think part of why this video is so explosive is that it seems to happen with no warning.

Okay, since the chokehold is indeed banned in that locale, then the cop probably should have been charged for that, possibly as severely as second degree homicide, if it could be shown that the death was a direct result of the hold.  That's not immediately clear since my understanding is that he died from respiratory problems and yet that chokehold clearly wasn't blocking off air since he could speak.  Given the guy's health problems, it's entirely possible that even without the chokehold he would have died as a result of that scuffle, in which case second degree homicide would not be an appropriate charge.  A lot would depend on what the coroner report indicated, since not all homicides are criminal in nature.

But yeah, the video has been so clearly edited at multiple points where it would have been reasonable for him to have been informed that he was being arrested, plus there was a clear edit at the point just before the police directly engaged him so that you can't tell from the video what happened immediately before that.  Unless there's some unedited footage, then the video is worthless as evidence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies