OH-Sen: Ryan considering
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:06:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen: Ryan considering
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OH-Sen: Ryan considering  (Read 2994 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »

Says he'll take a serious look, been making national contacts for a couple of years. Likes Portman personally and will try to run an issues campaign.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »

He shouldn't run if he likes him.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Since Portman and the Kochs will tear him to shreds the second he enters the race, he can't keep that nice guy attitude if he wants to win.
KCDem

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »

Outgoing Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman is also considering a run
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:02:02 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Since Portman and the Kochs will tear him to shreds the second he enters the race, he can't keep that nice guy attitude if he wants to win.

Two things:

1. What were you expecting Ryan to say?  He can't say "Rob Portman is a worthless piece of crap" Tongue

2. This is a big deal if true, conventional wisdom here was that Ryan wasn't interested, but if he is then this seat immediately goes from Likely-to-Safe R to being a tossup.  Strickland and Ryan (Cordrey isn't interested) are basically the only people who can put this in play.
KCDem

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:03:56 PM »

Portman is on track to be the Mark Warner of the 2016 cycle.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »

He feels he could compete financially and says he's been networking, but only has $441k in his kitty ATM.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »

So he's going to win?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2014, 05:13:10 PM by Cardinal and IDS Legislator X, Tzar of Russia »

Ryan =/= Gillespie

Ryan's an infinitely stronger candidate than Gillespie.  If Ryan runs, he could definitely win even if the Democratic Presidential nominee loses Ohio.  Portman is a really tough opponent, but he's far from unbeatable.  Of course, it is also obviously possible that Portman wins a narrow and Ryan hasn't actually said he's running, so we'll see...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »

He's declined statewide bids before... will this be another time?
KCDem

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »

So he's going to win?

Yes, he's on track to win but by an underwhelming margin.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2014, 05:50:02 PM by blagohair.com »

Why is everyone assuming Portman will win the republican primary?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 05:28:47 PM »

Anyone else think this was about Paul Ryan, and wondered why he was talking about carpetbagging to Ohio?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 05:30:58 PM »

Wonderful news! We've been waiting for Ryan to run for statewide office here forever.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »

Why is everyone assuming Portman will the republican primary?

Having learned no lessons from 2014, Democratic blithering about random Republican Senators being primaried is beginning in earnest once again Cheesy
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »

Ohio has elected dem senators before. John Glenn held this seat for four terms and never had much difficulty winning (he had a close race in 92 only because of ethics issues). Could Ryan be a John Glenn esque heavyweight?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »

Having learned no lessons from 2014, Democratic blithering about random Republican Senators being primaried is beginning in earnest once again Cheesy

I'm not a Democrat dumbass.  And Portman being a supporter of gay marriage makes him very vulnerable in a republican primary.
KCDem

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »

Ohio has elected dem senators before. John Glenn held this seat for four terms and never had much difficulty winning (he had a close race in 92 only because of ethics issues). Could Ryan be a John Glenn esque heavyweight?

No way! They even have a current senator Roll Eyes
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »

I'm not a Democrat dumbass.  And Portman being a supporter of gay marriage makes him very vulnerable in a republican primary.

No it doesn't. Who is going to challenge him just because of gay marriage?
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 06:01:59 PM »

The names keep piling up. P.G. Sittenfeld, a huge rising star in the ODP and Cincinnati City Councilman, said "I've been taking the time to think through how I can make the biggest positive impact for my party and my state, so this is definitely something I'm thinking about" when asked about the Senate race in 2016.

Sittenfeld is also apparently sitting on what to call his site. I personally think he needs to do more building up before he runs, but luckily, that link also says that the "NewDEAL" plans to set him up for an even bigger future than once thought. There's also Connie Pillich who's from the Cincinnati area that's considering a run, so whoever faces Portman might end up being from his home-turf as well.

As for Ryan.....

I unfortunately don't think a Ryan run will happen. I remember when Ohio Dems tried to get him to run against DeWine in '06 even though the year was looking bad for the GOP, and he declined. Ryan has to give up his House seat and his seat on the Appropriations Committee as a result to run for Senate, and he just won't do that. It's worth mentioning to that Ryan has a friendly relationship with Bob Hagan, who are both from Mahoning Valley and Hagan is already running in 2016. I'm sorry, I would love a Ryan run as much as the next person, but we won't get him. He would need to feel pretty confident to run against Portman, and unfortunately Portman's war chest is not reassuring for some Democrats if this year in Ohio was any indication for poor fundraising against strong Republican incumbents.

Not to rule out former serving Reps. of course (Boccieri and Sutton are the most likely that come to mind). I think Strickland might be a possibility, but we can't rely on him unless he changes his mind from his previously stated "not running" comments. Otherwise, assuming Strickland and Ryan ultimately decline, I'm holding out hope in support of a Boccieri, Sutton or Sittenfeld run.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »

The names keep piling up. P.G. Sittenfeld, a huge rising star in the ODP and Cincinnati City Councilman, said "I've been taking the time to think through how I can make the biggest positive impact for my party and my state, so this is definitely something I'm thinking about" when asked about the Senate race in 2016.

Sittenfeld is also apparently sitting on what to call his site. I personally think he needs to do more building up before he runs, but luckily, that link also says that the "NewDEAL" plans to set him up for an even bigger future than once thought. There's also Connie Pillich who's from the Cincinnati area that's considering a run, so whoever faces Portman might end up being from his home-turf as well.

As for Ryan.....

I unfortunately don't think a Ryan run will happen. I remember when Ohio Dems tried to get him to run against DeWine in '06 even though the year was looking bad for the GOP, and he declined. Ryan has to give up his House seat and his seat on the Appropriations Committee as a result to run for Senate, and he just won't do that. It's worth mentioning to that Ryan has a friendly relationship with Bob Hagan, who are both from Mahoning Valley and Hagan is already running in 2016. I'm sorry, I would love a Ryan run as much as the next person, but we won't get him. He would need to feel pretty confident to run against Portman, and unfortunately Portman's war chest is not reassuring for some Democrats if this year in Ohio was any indication for poor fundraising against strong Republican incumbents.

Not to rule out former serving Reps. of course (Boccieri and Sutton are the most likely that come to mind). I think Strickland might be a possibility, but we can't rely on him unless he changes his mind from his previously stated "not running" comments. Otherwise, assuming Strickland and Ryan ultimately decline, I'm holding out hope in support of a Boccieri, Sutton or Sittenfeld run.

No one wanted Ryan to run in 2006, Brown was always the first choice.  Sittenfeld and Pillich would lose by double-digits (Pillich might by able to make it 8-9%).
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »

As for Ryan.....

No one wanted Ryan to run in 2006, Brown was always the first choice.  Sittenfeld and Pillich would lose by double-digits (Pillich might by able to make it 8-9%).
Dude, you need to be more optimistic about our chances here! Tongue

I was wrong and you were right this year (though that was because an unexpected implosion of the top of the ticket campaign, and unexpected GOP wave), but I think Portman could be beat with the right candidate, and we don't necessarily need to rely on Ryan or Strickland to beat him.

Pillich is a strong fundraiser, has a good background, has name ID, and appeals to the base and centrists. She could win in a good year for us which I think 2016 will be. Sittenfeld admittedly probably couldn't win, but would come close. He's not ready for a statewide run yet.

All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up about Strickland and Ryan. They'll be letdowns, and we should begin to recruit someone who's more likely to run like the aforementioned.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 06:32:18 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2014, 06:36:21 PM by angryGreatness »

Another potential candidate:

Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman will not seek re-election in 2015, with some rumors stating he's being recruited by national Democrats to run against Portman.

Ted Strickland is also apparently considering a run.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »

As for Ryan.....

Dude, you need to be more optimistic about our chances here! Tongue

I was wrong and you were right this year (though that was because an unexpected implosion of the top of the ticket campaign, and unexpected GOP wave), but I think Portman could be beat with the right candidate, and we don't necessarily need to rely on Ryan or Strickland to beat him.

Pillich is a strong fundraiser, has a good background, has name ID, and appeals to the base and centrists. She could win in a good year for us which I think 2016 will be. Sittenfeld admittedly probably couldn't win, but would come close. He's not ready for a statewide run yet.

All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up about Strickland and Ryan. They'll be letdowns, and we should begin to recruit someone who's more likely to run like the aforementioned.

Pillich can defintely win a row-office in 2018 and so can Carney, but I doubt either can beat Portman.  I highly doubt Coleman can beat Portman, but he's at least a respectable decoy/wave and/or late-breaking scandal insurance.  Coleman would definitely lose, but I imagine the NRSC would have to at least spend some money.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »

No it doesn't. Who is going to challenge him just because of gay marriage?

Rep. Steve Stivers is supposedly thinking of running.  I'm not saying Portman will surely lose the primary but if you don't think it will be an issue among Ohio republicans (Ohio republicans, not Massachusetts republicans), I think you are lying to yourself.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies