Amazon mistakenly sends UK student stuff worth 5000$ - he can keep it.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:25:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Amazon mistakenly sends UK student stuff worth 5000$ - he can keep it.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Amazon mistakenly sends UK student stuff worth 5000$ - he can keep it.  (Read 951 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:41:35 AM »

Mistake or marketing gag ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2857521/Student-told-3-600-haul-goods-Amazon-including-TV-tablet-sent-computer-glitch.html

A student has been told he can keep a £3,600 haul of goods from Amazon including a television and tablet computer after he was sent them because of a computer glitch.

Christmas came early for Robert Quinn, 22, when he started receiving parcels which appeared to have been destined to be returned to the online retailer, only to arrive at his family home in Bromley, south London.

Tongue
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:17:33 AM »

Jeez, what a lucky guy. Hopefully he thinks about donating some of the stuff to charities because I don't think he's going to make use of a Lego fire truck or a baby stroller haha
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:56:51 PM »

Why doesn't this ever happen to me? Sad
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »

Almost certainly a marketing stunt.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »

I didn't care about the poll asking if a 15 year old girl was hot or not, but I swear to ganesh if you keep putting the dollar sign in the wrong place I'll personally see you get banned so help me
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »

I didn't care about the poll asking if a 15 year old girl was hot or not, but I swear to ganesh if you keep putting the dollar sign in the wrong place I'll personally see you get banned so help me

Yeah, I've learned to accept his urge to put a space between the end of the sentence and the punctuation mark :  Know what I mean ?  Sort of like this !  It's a bit like taking a group of Ethiopians out to dinner.  You want to tell them not to do some of the things they do with their fingers at the table, but you know that in their own country it's socially acceptable so you bite your tongue and try to be all politically correct and just write it off as cultural sensitivity.  Still the whole number followed by dollar sign motif crosses just a little bit too far across the line to ignore.  

(As long as we're on this topic, I've seen enough images of old Austrian and German political posters in history textbooks to know that the Austrians also know not to put a space before punctuation marks as well, so it may not really be a cultural thing, just a TenderBranson thing.)

Nein!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »

I think most European languages have the currency sign at the end of the number, and it feels weird for us to place it before the number. Its also counterintuitive since you say ten dollars and not dollars ten, so I am actually a bit curious as to why English has the currency sign in front of the amount? Furthermore Americans write 25¢ and not ¢25, which makes it even more odd. Why do you have dollars before the number and cents after? It doesn't make sense.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »

I'd buy your argument if it weren't for the fact that he knows enough to put the lazy Roman L in front of the number for English currency unit.  ("libra" being latin for "pound".  We use Lbs. in the USA in fact to represent pounds, for example "bananas:  $0.59/Lb")  He also uses no space between the last letter of a sentence and a period, when a period is appropriate, only spacing before questions and exclamations.

In all honesty, I think TenderBranson does actually understand the rules of American/English grammar more than he lets on, and it is in fact all an affectation.  That's the central complaint here.

"Ignorance is not an excuse" is a philosophy with which I really don't agree.  I can forgive unintended ignorance.  What is harder to forgive is willful ignorance.

As for the "cent" sign, it merely represents a fraction.  There's that pesky latin again.  English is weird among Germanic languages owing to its reliance upon latin.  Blame the Saxons and their failure to hold up against the Normans in the Battle of Hastings.  Ah, but that was so long ago.

Anyway, saying 52 percent is like saying "52 divided by 100."  In fact, it is exactly, literally, saying "52 divided by 100" with "per" meaning "by" and "cent" meaning "100"  52 cents is exactly that:  52 parts out of 100.  It would make absolutely no sense (or cents) to anyone to say "cent 52."  Even a hard Germanic like yourself ought to understand that little bit of Latin.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2014, 10:22:58 PM by CrabCake »

I think most European languages have the currency sign at the end of the number, and it feels weird for us to place it before the number. Its also counterintuitive since you say ten dollars and not dollars ten, so I am actually a bit curious as to why English has the currency sign in front of the amount? Furthermore Americans write 25¢ and not ¢25, which makes it even more odd. Why do you have dollars before the number and cents after? It doesn't make sense.

The escudo of Cape Verde have the most logical system, whereby the Cifrão is used in place of the decimal, like how you would speak it.

e.g. The price of this cake is 5  90.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 01:22:48 AM »

What about Ethiopians, angus?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 04:24:12 AM »

Just be glad he didn't write it as 5.000$
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »

The opposite of Vietnamese, I suppose.  Bangladeshis are like Ethiopians in that regard as well. 

I can go either way, to be honest.  I can also do it Chinese-style.  I just found it a convenient analogy for what TenderBranson was doing.  My personal eating habits at home involve a mixture of Western, Chinese, and Ethiopian, I suppose, although when I'm in public I take a cue from the consensus.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies