Question for pro-lifers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:30:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Question for pro-lifers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you support the amendment?
yes

no

I'm not pro-life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Question for pro-lifers  (Read 2546 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2005, 01:03:43 PM »

Would you support an amendment which did the following two things:

1-outlawed abortion except in cases of rape, incest and threat to the mother's life
2-banned all states and municipalities from passing any regulations on strip clubs
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 01:07:53 PM »

So they could have little kids dance there?  Sick bastard.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »

OK, bans all restrictions except a minimum age of 18. I was obviously talking about stuff like serving alcohol, distance requirements on restrictions on how naked they can get.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 07:06:07 PM »

Yes, I would support it, but preferably the rape and incest exceptions would be removed from the amendment.  One wrong act doesn't excuse another.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 07:29:08 PM »

No. But if Roe v. Wade was overturned, I would support a law that outlawed abortion and repealed/banned all such regulations on strip clubs.

I would support both of those laws separately, though.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 08:01:36 PM »

No. It's not a constitutional matter. That's why Roe v. Wade was so ed up - there's nothing in the constitution that even vaguely mentions abortion.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 08:29:16 PM »

No. It's not a constitutional matter. That's why Roe v. Wade was so f**cked up - there's nothing in the constitution that even vaguely mentions abortion.

^ what he said

States should decide whether or not abortion is legal

States should decide whether or not they want to regulate strip clubs
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 08:30:47 PM »

No. It's not a constitutional matter. That's why Roe v. Wade was so f**cked up - there's nothing in the constitution that even vaguely mentions abortion.

That's why Santa Clara County vs. Southern Pacific was so  f**cked up - there's nothing in the constitution that even vaguely mentions that corporations should all all the rights of individuals, and more.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 08:52:25 PM »

That's why Santa Clara County vs. Southern Pacific was so  f**cked up - there's nothing in the constitution that even vaguely mentions that corporations should all all the rights of individuals, and more.

You whine about that ruling a lot, and yet, you never explain what specifically the case was.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 09:01:17 PM »

You whine about that ruling a lot, and yet, you never explain what specifically the case was.

I've said it before. It was the SCOTUS deciding that somehow the rights given by the 14th amendmen, which didn't seem to apply to blacks at the time, somehow applied to corporations.

That ruling was 9-0, and at least one (might have been more than one) of the justices also voted for Plessy vs. Ferguson. Basically that (those) justice(s) decided that the 14th amendment applies only to corporations and not to blacks.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 09:07:52 PM »

First of all, Plessy v. Ferguson did not say that the rights given by the 14th amendment did not apply to blacks. They ruled that separate but equal was constitutional, and of course, if things are truly equal, it is, though that necessity has since been disproven.

Now, with regard to corporations, all Wikipedia says is that it applied equal protection to corporations. If the ruling was that corporations have to have the same rights as people, then that was obviously ridiculous. But again, what was the background to the case?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 09:13:27 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2005, 09:18:28 PM by jfern »

First of all, Plessy v. Ferguson did not say that the rights given by the 14th amendment did not apply to blacks. They ruled that separate but equal was constitutional, and of course, if things are truly equal, it is, though that necessity has since been disproven.

Now, with regard to corporations, all Wikipedia says is that it applied equal protection to corporations. If the ruling was that corporations have to have the same rights as people, then that was obviously ridiculous. But again, what was the background to the case?

Southern Pacific didn't want to pay some property taxes.  Here's the meat of the ruling:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That was entered in by the court reporter, and not the actual justices, so the ruling may have been more pro-corporation than they intended.

http://www.ratical.org/corporations/SCvSPR1886.html
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 04:45:40 AM »

what was the ratio decidendi?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 05:52:21 AM »

I'm not 'pro-life', but I do think we need more abortion and more strip clubs and brothels - and no government regulation of such from you freedom-haters. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 06:37:21 AM »

We need more slavery - and no government regulation of such from you freedom-haters.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 10:39:12 AM »

If I remember my Constitutional Law correctly, jfern, the Court has swung strongly back against corporate personhood over the past hundred years (not that I see anything particularly wrong with the concept in the first place).  Southern Pacific has since been superseded by othere precedents.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 09:05:19 PM »

I'm not 'pro-life', but I do think we need more abortion and more strip clubs and brothels - and no government regulation of such from you freedom-haters. 
Why do you want MORE abortion?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 05:26:15 PM »

No.  And its obvious that BRTD didn't fully think this question through, or he'd not have put up a proposal that allows the building of strip clubs in residential areas.  having no restrictions on strip clubs means that they would actually be given zoning rights that other companies would be denied, since this would exempt strip clubs from commercial zoning requirements.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 05:58:42 PM »

Why do you want MORE abortion?

I mean more redily available.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 10:26:43 PM »

No.  And its obvious that BRTD didn't fully think this question through, or he'd not have put up a proposal that allows the building of strip clubs in residential areas.  having no restrictions on strip clubs means that they would actually be given zoning rights that other companies would be denied, since this would exempt strip clubs from commercial zoning requirements.

That wouldn't bother me too much to be honest. It would be nice to have most of the ones in Minneapolis in an area where I don't have to worry about my parked car being vandalized.
beowulf
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 03:53:10 PM »

I would support part one about abortion, but I wouldn't want strip clubs to go witout regulation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2005, 09:35:54 PM »

I would support part one about abortion, but I wouldn't want strip clubs to go witout regulation.

package deal. That's the whole point of this question.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies