David Duke v Barack Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  David Duke v Barack Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who wins if the election were held in Louisana today ?
Duke

Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: David Duke v Barack Obama  (Read 3832 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »

I think Duke would win in a landslide, winning a solid majority of whites.
Do you realize how racist this sounds?

So stating a fact is racist? Unless you think Obama reaches 65-70% in this scenario.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »

Duke would make it somewhat close, because Louisiana is now quite f**ked up.

Obama would still win, because Louisiana is still not that extremely f**ked up..

Duke would probably win Oklahoma and Arkansas though.

The real debate in Oklahoma would be if Duke cracks 60.
Nichlemn

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 06:21:22 PM »

Edwin Edwards defeated Duke 61-39 in 1991. While Edwards was white, he was also known to be corrupt even then and would have easily lost to a non-Klansman opponent. Also, presumably LA was more racist 23 years ago. So Obama.

It matters how this scenario came to pass, though (and is it for the Presidency? It wasn't specified). How did David Duke become the Republican nominee? Either he's managed to completely redeem himself (did he singlehandedly save the world or something?) or it was some kind of nefarious trick. In the former scenario, he wins LA because he's done something big to overcome his obvious issues. In the latter, there's a good chance that he ends up being a de facto third party nominee with the "true" Republican candidate being a third party or write-in candidate, in which case he comes third.
KCDem

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 06:23:58 PM »

Edwin Edwards defeated Duke 61-39 in 1991. While Edwards was white, he was also known to be corrupt even then and would have easily lost to a non-Klansman opponent. Also, presumably LA was more racist 23 years ago. So Obama.

It matters how this scenario came to pass, though (and is it for the Presidency? It wasn't specified). How did David Duke become the Republican nominee? Either he's managed to completely redeem himself (did he singlehandedly save the world or something?) or it was some kind of nefarious trick. In the former scenario, he wins LA because he's done something big to overcome his obvious issues. In the latter, there's a good chance that he ends up being a de facto third party nominee with the "true" Republican candidate being a third party or write-in candidate, in which case he comes third.

Why would David Duke need to redeem himself to win a Republican primary? Most Republican primary voters are mini David Dukes.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »

Why would David Duke need to redeem himself to win a Republican primary? Most Republican primary voters are mini David Dukes.

Considering David Duke ran for the Republican nomination for President in 1992 and got a grand total of 0.94% of the vote (and no delegates), and the country has gotten significantly less racist since then, that seems pretty suspect.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »

Duke could do whatever he did to make the runoff twice in the 90s. Not that its likely but this is a hypothetical. Even if the country is less racist than in the 90's, the upper bound on how crazy a republican can be and still win a primary has actually been raised significantly. And so has the upper bound on how crazy a republican can be without having their support collapse in the general. No reason to think the average LA republican would consider Obama in this scenario.
My guess would be 53-47 Duke.
Which would mean Duke won over 70% of the white vote.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 07:15:31 PM »

Oh my God, easily Obama.  Duke *might* win a majority of Whites and black turnout would be through the roof.

He'd never, EVER win the nomination either.

Might? You do realize Obama got about 15% of whites in LA?

Ignore him. He also thinks "moderate Republicans" still exist. His electoral analysis is worthless.

LOL, yeah ZERO moderate Republicans exist.  Susan Collins and Charlie Baker are such raging extremists.  God, you are a walking foot soldier for the Democratic Party.
KCDem

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »

Oh my God, easily Obama.  Duke *might* win a majority of Whites and black turnout would be through the roof.

Ignore him. He also thinks "moderate Republicans" still exist. His electoral analysis is worthless.

LOL, yeah ZERO moderate Republicans exist.  Susan Collins and Charlie Baker are such raging extremists.  God, you are a walking foot soldier for the Democratic Party.

Neither Susan Collins nor Charlie Baker are moderate. They may not be raving lunatics like Cruz and Paul, but they're still very conservative and just another vote for the McConnell/Christie majority.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »

Neither Susan Collins nor Charlie Baker are moderate. They may not be raving lunatics like Cruz and Paul, but they're still very conservative and just another vote for the McConnell/Christie majority.

Maybe not moderate compared to you, but I'm guessing your idea of "moderate" is actually a pretty damn liberal politician...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »

Oh my God, easily Obama.  Duke *might* win a majority of Whites and black turnout would be through the roof.

LOL, yeah ZERO moderate Republicans exist.  Susan Collins and Charlie Baker are such raging extremists.  God, you are a walking foot soldier for the Democratic Party.

Maybe not moderate compared to you, but I'm guessing your idea of "moderate" is actually a pretty damn liberal politician...

In his defense, as someone who would have voted for Collins myself, I remember watching Collins and Bellows debate; Collins resorted to Republican talking points more than I would have liked.
KCDem

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 08:51:14 PM »

If you consider voting for the McConnell majority moderate, you're as bad as Ted Cruz. Any Republican senator is only as moderate as the most conservative member of the majority he or she helps elect. Shame on Susan Collins.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »

You are aware that Lousiana is one of few states that actually trended to Obama.
Nichlemn

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »

You are aware that Lousiana is one of few states that actually trended to Obama.

In 2012... after massively trending against him in 2008. He still did worse than Kerry and (I think) every other Democrat except the landslide losers of Mondale and McGovern.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2014, 09:47:04 PM »

In 2012... after massively trending against him in 2008. He still did worse than Kerry and (I think) every other Democrat except the landslide losers of Mondale and McGovern.

Yep.

Compared to 2004, only a handful of parishes are trending D.
KCDem

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

The fact that anyone in this thread thinks that Obama could beat anyone in a statewide election in Louisiana is hilarious.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »

Duke probably wins whites (not overwhelmingly, probably 50-60%), but Obama wins the election by crushing him in minority turnout (95%<). Obama drives up minority turnout naturally and it would be even higher with minorities turning out against Duke.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »

If you consider voting for the McConnell majority moderate, you're as bad as Ted Cruz. Any Republican senator is only as moderate as the most conservative member of the majority he or she helps elect. Shame on Susan Collins.

So if all Republicans are as extreme as their most extreme member, does that make all Democrats Bernie Sanders?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »

Duke probably wins whites (not overwhelmingly, probably 50-60%), but Obama wins the election by crushing him in minority turnout (95%<). Obama drives up minority turnout naturally and it would be even higher with minorities turning out against Duke.

This. Combine that with very low white turnout, blacks would probably be ~40% of the electorate, giving Obama around a 2:1 win.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2014, 11:37:44 PM by Wulfric »

Christie and McConnell are hardly the two most conservative members of the republican party. Mike Lee, Ted Cruz, Jim Risch, Tom Coburn, Lee Bright, Matt Bevin, Mike Crapo, Nikki Haley, Sam Brownback, Paul LePage, Mary Fallin, Ron Johnson - I could go on forever - the list of conservatives more conservative than Christie/McConnell is so long it's not even funny.

Also, keep in mind that McConnell is the ONLY republican running for majority leader. Which means that unless Collins wants to run herself, she has to vote for McConnell, or else she's going to be voting for a staunchly partisan democrat to lead the senate (yes, Harry Reid, you're staunchly partisan, and that's the truth) .

Also, quit being a single issue voter. Look at Collins's, Baker's, Kasich's, Portman's, Kirk's entire platform. Despite who they support for majority leader of the senate, they are all legitimate moderate republicans who despise the tea party, actively work with democrats (it is Reid who is stopping progress, not Collins/Murkowski/etc.), and don't support tea party ideals. Enough said.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 03:14:54 AM »

The fact that anyone in this thread thinks that Obama could beat anyone in a statewide election in Louisiana is hilarious.

Nancy Pelosi.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2014, 08:12:19 AM »

Do you realize how racist this sounds?

Do you realize how stupid you sound?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »

Duke would win.
Rockefeller GOP
United States