The New Republic appears to be going down :(
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:45:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The New Republic appears to be going down :(
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The New Republic appears to be going down :(  (Read 1017 times)
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »

This great article by Dylan Byers gives graphic detail of how Chris Hughes has almost single-handedly brought TNR down from prominence.

I, for one, will miss it. I thought that they had an excellent journalistic ethic and didn't stick to the party line. What do you guys think is the future of TNR?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2014, 01:47:09 PM by traininthedistance »

This bit by Ezra Klein is a relevant counterpoint. (And also relevant to the "Opinion of Vox" thread from awhile ago, especially where he backhandedly admits that the structural pressures of internet journalism have forced them to go clickbaity... an aside that reads defensive as all hell but isn't really wrong in any meaningful sense.  Don't hate the players, hate the game.)

In any case, Mother Jones is probably the best of the policy mags at this point, though I'll admit that TNR had better culture coverage.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »

Good riddance.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »

TNR is a crazy magazine. I used to subscribe when I was younger, but it was so vehemently, insanely pro-Israel and pro-invading everything that it just didn't fit in with my views of the way the world worked.

I distinctly remembered this issue:

As the point when I gave up on the New Republic forever.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »

TNR is a crazy magazine. I used to subscribe when I was younger, but it was so vehemently, insanely pro-Israel and pro-invading everything that it just didn't fit in with my views of the way the world worked.

I distinctly remembered this issue:

As the point when I gave up on the New Republic forever.

I've never read it so I couldn't care less.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »

The Left weakens a little. Good good.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 12:14:09 AM »

This bit by Ezra Klein is a relevant counterpoint. (And also relevant to the "Opinion of Vox" thread from awhile ago, especially where he backhandedly admits that the structural pressures of internet journalism have forced them to go clickbaity... an aside that reads defensive as all hell but isn't really wrong in any meaningful sense.  Don't hate the players, hate the game.)

And Jonathan Chait offers a counterpoint to that counterpoint here:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/12/new-republic-and-the-imperfect-media-market.html

His point being....yes, The New Republic is losing money, but it's always lost money.  It's always relied on a wealthy benefactor to subsidize it so that it can continue its reporting, and there's no particular reason why that should change now.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 12:55:32 AM »

The Venn Diagram of "People who read print newspapers/magazines" and "Self-described liberals" has been pulling away for years now.

That being said, The New Republic has always been the bottom rung of liberal magazines. Mother Jones, The Nation, Harper's, ect. are all better written and generally more liberal to boot, leaving New Republic without a real niche.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »

It's always relied on a wealthy benefactor to subsidize it so that it can continue its reporting, and there's no particular reason why that should change now.
 Perhaps such benefactors find other media properties more worthy of their subsidy?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 01:49:11 PM »

TNR is/was a very... strange... publication and in recent years it appears to have done a remarkable job of alienating its former readership, but its cultural stuff will be missed. What's more concerning though is that this is emblematic of a general trend in journalism, and a general trend that is not good.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »

It's always relied on a wealthy benefactor to subsidize it so that it can continue its reporting, and there's no particular reason why that should change now.
  Perhaps such benefactors find other media properties more worthy of their subsidy?

Which would prove...?

Would prove that there's no such thing as an essential media brand name.  I note that the general consensus here appears to be that as far as politics was concerned, TNR was already considered generally second tier and that it's main strength was cultural content.  But as culture continues to fractionate into smaller and smaller pieces, the idea that an omnibus magazine could hope to adequately cover it has become more and more absurd.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »

Money quote from 2003

You must be logged in to read this quote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 03:44:53 PM »

Yeah, they burned some serious bridges there. The Iraq war had the largest protest in history, 20 million, before it started, but the worthless New Republic wasn't part of it.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 04:25:30 PM »

Sad, was the best out there. Had a good run.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies