Kasich hugs the center on Common Core / immigration / Medicaid expansion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:18:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich hugs the center on Common Core / immigration / Medicaid expansion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kasich hugs the center on Common Core / immigration / Medicaid expansion  (Read 1173 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »

Covering Kasich at the RGA:

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/run-2016/2014/12/05/john-kasich-charts-a-different-course

You must be logged in to read this quote.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:39:29 PM »

I see Kasich 2016 going a lot like Vilsack 2008
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:04:47 PM »

So if both Kasich and Bush run, there'll be competition for the pro-immigration, pro-common core slice of the Republican party.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:35:06 AM »

So if both Kasich and Bush run, there'll be competition for the pro-immigration, pro-common core slice of the Republican party.

So they'll be competing for 5%, at best? Wink

In reality, they'll both be competing for the donor $$$ that they'll use to completely destroy the other candidates and leave themselves as the last ones standing. The Romney 2012 strategy.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:38:27 AM »

I think Medicaid expansion is probably a bridge too far to the Republican electorate. Common Core might be stomached as long as the candidates didn't say they would enforce it on the federal level.
KCDem

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 12:17:47 PM »

RIP Kasich.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »

Boy Kasich is running on "compassionate conservatism circa 2000" or something. The Common Core issue I would have to be more about in debates though. The immigration being for immigration reform doesn't bother me. The Medicaid Expansion is a little touchy too.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »

If Bush doesn't run, he is getting my vote in the primary.
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 05:25:29 PM »

You can't get elected unless you are for immigration reform. Hillary or any D candidate is gonna be for immigration reform so... Even Rand Paul is for immigration reform. The only candidate not for immigration reform is Ted Cruz who in all likely hood will not win the Republican Nomination.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 06:32:03 PM »

Walker is strongly pro-immigration reform. It is both a moral and economic issue.

Any pro-free market Republican (supported by the Chamber of Commerce) will be pro-immigration reform.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »

Well of course most candidates are for immigration reform. "Reform" is a vague and cliche word in politics, it just means change. I would think everybody wants to change the system we have one way or another.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 09:03:41 PM »

Well of course most candidates are for immigration reform. "Reform" is a vague and cliche word in politics, it just means change. I would think everybody wants to change the system we have one way or another.

But "supporting Immigration Reform" in American politics is largely perceived as support for some kind of pathway to citizenship.

But as for the Kasich/Bush dichotomy. I know people aren't robots but wouldn't it make sense for Bush to not run and endorse the much more capable and electable Kasich instead? Same thing for Romney.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »

But as for the Kasich/Bush dichotomy. I know people aren't robots but wouldn't it make sense for Bush to not run and endorse the much more capable and electable Kasich instead? Same thing for Romney.

If Kasich even runs.  As I noted here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=203535.msg4400663#msg4400663

while Kasich says a presidential run is a possibility, he doesn't sound super-enthusiastic about it.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 01:22:29 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2014, 12:27:55 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

But "supporting Immigration Reform" in American politics is largely perceived as support for some kind of pathway to citizenship.

Which is ironically the most status quo aspect of any reform package. It might be necessary as Kasich said, but that doesn't mean it will fix the system. It is a symptom of the broken system and the notion that treating the symptom=reform in this debate illustrates just how one sided coverage on this issue has been over the past two years.

Records don't mean much in this day in age, but if Kasich's house record is any indication you are getting a pro-enforcement fiscal con in pretty wrapping. Kasich prides himself on his balanced budgets and his record on gov't spending, so whilst his rhetoric is compassionate Conservative, he is not Bush-Delay by any means. He sounds like a slightly more flexible (on economics) version of Pat Toomey. He was also a fiscal conservative who came up in the 1990's and was not connected to the Bush GOP (Kasich went into the private sector, Toomey challenged a Bush supported incumbent).

How many times has Jeb Bush said the bolded section in that kind of "almost at gun point fashion"? More than likely he is saying the minimal necessary to be accepted (Hopper is right) by the establishment money people will not assist someone taking the same path as Romney.

Edit: Left out the word "not" lol.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »

I think Medicaid expansion is probably a bridge too far to the Republican electorate. Common Core might be stomached as long as the candidates didn't say they would enforce it on the federal level.

Boy Kasich is running on "compassionate conservatism circa 2000" or something. The Common Core issue I would have to be more about in debates though. The immigration being for immigration reform doesn't bother me. The Medicaid Expansion is a little touchy too.

Kasich on Common Core:
Quote from: Restricted
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »

Moderate Republicans "don't exist," right?
GLPman
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 01:53:21 AM »

The more I read about Kasich, the more I like him.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »

Eh, was never voting for him anyway.

Hopefully the mainstream press will stop talking about him and Portman as though they have a chance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies