Free Exchange Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:55:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Free Exchange Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Free Exchange Act (Failed)  (Read 2032 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: December 06, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »

All I can say to this Bill is "wha?"

Good to know the Senate's time is being put to good use.

Motion to table.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »

All I can say to this Bill is "wha?"

Good to know the Senate's time is being put to good use.

Motion to table.
Your hostility is starting to bug me. Why are you always so arrogant and generally unpleasant?

My apologies.

I will withdraw my motion and ask the Senator what benefit this Bill would have and why this Senate should support this measure.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 04:19:04 AM »

This bill is fairly simple. It would allow individuals and institutions to negotiate contracts requiring payment in currencies/commodities other than Federal Reserve Notes. It wouldn't alter Atlasian monetary policy or prevent those who wish to use from FRN's from ceasing to do so, it would simply allow consenting parties to use alternatives if they so desire. There are many reasons why people may wish to use alternative currencies or other forms of payments (I can go into detail if anyone would like), and I see little reason why they should be prohibited from doing so.

I would like some detail as to why someone wouldn't use legal tender?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:27:47 AM »

Maybe that's the (pinko) European in me speaking, but I do feel that it is certainly preferable to have a central authority controlling our currency, and in that way our monetary policy. Such an important point as money is for me better left to the government...
This bill wouldn't abolish the Federal Reserve or prevent it from issuing currency.

Would this enable private individuals to print their own currency... assuming that others would be prepared to accept it?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 04:41:58 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2014, 04:56:35 AM by Senator Polnut »

Maybe that's the (pinko) European in me speaking, but I do feel that it is certainly preferable to have a central authority controlling our currency, and in that way our monetary policy. Such an important point as money is for me better left to the government...
This bill wouldn't abolish the Federal Reserve or prevent it from issuing currency.

Would this enable private individuals to print their own currency... assuming that others would be prepared to accept it?
That's already legal.

That is true.

I'm pretty sure bartering is not illegal. I'm just not sure what problem is being solved by this Bill, when a lot of it is accepted and not illegal.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 04:54:22 AM »

I don't believe there is enough will in the Senate to further this, considering nothing has happened for three days. The Sponsor has presented his case, I believe I have asked my questions, and here has been sufficient time for others. I appreciate Senator Deus' prompt responses.

I am going to motion for a final vote on this.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 06:15:30 AM »

NAY
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies