Ingress General Discussion: we're all BRTD now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:53:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ingress General Discussion: we're all BRTD now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ingress General Discussion: we're all BRTD now  (Read 3510 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 10:13:47 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2014, 10:15:20 PM by traininthedistance »

How do you choose between the Resistance and Enlightenment?

Sure seems like fearing the aliens would be a very Tea Party-ish thing to do, which makes me really surprised BRTD picked it. Do you just ignore logic like that and join whichever team your friends are on?

All the people I know IRL who have caught up in this thing are Enlightened, and their reasoning is pretty much this.  (Or, more accurately, the first adopters reasoned this and then everyone else signed up on the side their friends were on.)

There was also an analogy to Tokugawa/Black Ships/"Resistance is basically like Juche" in there somewhere.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 12:03:08 AM »

There was also an analogy to Tokugawa/Black Ships/"Resistance is basically like Juche" in there somewhere.

LOL! I suppose I can sort of see where the Juche idea comes from but still...LOL.

On the flip side Resistance players tend to consider the Enlightened to be a Scientology-esque cult.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 03:04:15 AM »

Is it on iOS now? I may get it over Winter Break.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 04:15:16 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2014, 04:37:32 AM by Joe Republic »

On the flip side Resistance players tend to consider the Enlightened to be a Scientology-esque cult.

One group of Ingress players consider the other group of Ingress players to be like a cult, eh?  Interesting.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »

Is it on iOS now? I may get it over Winter Break.

It's been on iOS since the summer. There's a couple things lacking in the iOS version but only hardcore players really care a whole lot about those and it doesn't prevent you from levelling up, we have an iOS player who's already Level 12 in Minnesota.

One group of Ingress players consider the other group of Ingress players to be like a cult, eh?  Interesting.

More in terms of how the backstory portrays that side. Your average Ingress player on either side isn't much different from the average one on the other side of course.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »

An A+++ trollbail thread.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 05:53:52 PM »

Ingress update: I am visiting my parents and I open up ingress to reveal they live tantalizingly close to a portal but I have no reason to awkwardly walk along the road and go up to a church that has at least twenty cars in its parking lot right now

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »

Haha. If you get into it you'll find reasons to.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »

I've downloaded this now ... had never heard of it before this thread. If I get into it and it becomes a time-suck, I will hunt you down BRTD.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »

Saw something after I redownloaded the app

Thought it would make BRTD happy
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 10:06:01 PM »

Update: I am now level two but I still haven't taken any portals because they're all really high level, is it supposed to take forever to capture a portal? Also in Winder there is apparently a portal at the funeral home, I think that's a questionable design decision
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »

Update: I am now level two but I still haven't taken any portals because they're all really high level, is it supposed to take forever to capture a portal? Also in Winder there is apparently a portal at the funeral home, I think that's a questionable design decision

I'm in the same boat. Only able to do a lot of hacking right now, although I destroyed my first resonator yesterday. I'm on my way to a nearby park soon to take an unclaimed portal and TRY to protect it, but given that I only have L2 resonators, I don't know how well that's going to work.

There's another Enlightened portal close to the unclaimed one where I think I can blow the last resonator, though.

Sort of fun!
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 11:49:34 PM »

And, another update: I took three unclaimed portals (and based on how difficult it is to destroy resonators, I'm hoping that four L2 resonators and four L1 resonators at each, along with shields, will be enough to protect them for now) and captured another, destroying seven resonators in the process.

BK: taking portals and deploying resonators seems to be the best way to quickly build AP. I was at around 3,200 AP (out of 20,000 in L2) when I took off tonight, and I'm at nearly 15,000 now.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2014, 01:21:10 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2014, 01:22:53 AM by politicus »

Hey, hey! BRTD! How many kids did you kill today?

Let the protests begin.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2014, 02:28:42 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2014, 02:37:54 AM by incredibly specific types of post-punk music »

It's not that difficult to destroy resonators, I've destroyed 41,635. It just is because you guys are low level and don't have access to good weapons. Once you hit L6 you start being able to do serious damage, and at L7 and L8 there's basically no portal you CAN'T destroy if well supplied, it just takes longer depending on how well defended it is. Leveling up to L8 is actually pretty easy if you are in a dense portal area and have teammates assisting you, some people have done it in marathon runs less than a day. Key is to find some portal dense area like a sculpture park and fill in and link up what you can. Probably fastest way to gain AP.

Oh and Flo: That doesn't surprise me, Florida Enlightened are notoriously weak just about everywhere except Jacksonville.

Oh there's plenty of those around here. Remember you don't have to go into the funeral home or even hang around it long to play. There's one near me that's a portal due to being a historic building on the national register of historic places, but you can easily hit parked on the street nearby or walking by on the sidewalk.

The only types of locations that'll get portals banned is if they're on private residential property, if they're in locations where they might cause potential interference with emergency services (you'll find fire stations as portals, but they were from the beginning. New ones aren't being accepted, and in fact they won't even accept things like statue and plaques near fire stations now), and if they're on the property of a non-university school and not accessible from off property. Portals in cemeteries are quite common and somewhat controversial too but it's clear Google isn't ever going to disallow them, despite a recent revelation that it's not only likely illegal to play Ingress in a cemetery in Tennessee, but that it's actually a felony (the law is obviously aimed at cemetery vandalism, but consists of a long list of prohibited activities, one of which is playing a "game or amusement" in one.)

This also means that yes, portals do exist on military bases and in some pretty restricted areas.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2014, 02:32:03 AM »

If I had a smartphone, I would probably do this. It looks really interesting.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2014, 02:50:37 AM »

Thanks for the tips J-Mann and BRTD. I'm now officially moving to Athens in eight days and they have an assload of really dense portals downtown so I'll try to go level up once I move
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014, 02:54:50 AM »

And yeah BTRD I looked on the Intel map and I think I saw some portals in the international terminal at ATL (as in, the far side of the TSA checkpoint)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2014, 03:07:35 AM »

Yep, I've been able to average over 500k AP a week, that's basically what I was pulling during the summer.

And yeah BTRD I looked on the Intel map and I think I saw some portals in the international terminal at ATL (as in, the far side of the TSA checkpoint)

Basically every airport has portals in places like that. However theoretically anyone can access such places as long as they have a plane ticket. There are some crazy inaccessible portals. For example last year some guy who works at a nuclear facility in Nevada was able to put some portals not accessible to anyone besides him and his fellow workers to a very strategic use for the Resistance.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »

Hell yeah! My favorite bar (a block from my house and Kansas City's oldest) is a Resistance stronghold!

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2014, 12:51:58 PM »

Hey check out the Intel map now and Hawaii. I actually know some people who helped do that and am talking to them now. Smiley

Hell yeah! My favorite bar (a block from my house and Kansas City's oldest) is a Resistance stronghold!

All of Kansas City is a Resistance stronghold. It's long had a reputation as the most heavily Resistance major city in the US. For example, check out the scores here: https://plus.google.com/+Ingress/posts/MUJKqdwcH2j
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »

And in case you miss it this is what I'm referring to:

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2014, 09:27:19 AM »

Well I made an account. I don't really understand any of it beyond the walking to green portals and turning them blue stuff, but I guess I'll pick it up as I go along. I am proud to say that the entire Columbia main campus is blue though!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »

Check out the training missions for more info.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »

You get stuff by hacking portals of both colors

You defend portals by putting resonators on them and also mods

You capture portals by destroying enemy resonators with XMPs. To fire an XMP you don't click on the portal you just hold down on the map screen and then the button to fire XMP will show up just above your finger

You link up your side's portals in triangles to get points for your side

Best way to level up is to asplode (lower level) enemy portals and capture them and link them if you can, you will only have low level stuff so they'll get taken back over quickly but that's good because then you can turn around and capture them again for more experience

When you use your energy from recharging a portal or lose it from being attacked, you get the energy back from hacking portals or walking around and picking up the blue dots (XM aka exotic matter)

That's basically all I've figured out so far Lief
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies