Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:10:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires?  (Read 34069 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 05:33:13 PM »

Yes, but as I said, that would only be true if it was a 'liberal' Justice that was being replaced.  Their is no way the Republicans would give up the 'conservative' majority.  That said, Pat Leahy would likely make a wonderful Supreme Court Judge.  I'd love to read his opinions quoting Grateful Dead songs.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 11:50:51 PM »

Can anyone seriously maintain that if a Justice (any Justice) were to pass over the next two years, the GOP wouldn't just force Obama to leave the seat vacant until the next Administration?

could Obama recess-appoint a Justice to SCOTUS?

No Obama can't appoint a SCOTUS in recess.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 12:20:07 AM »

Can anyone seriously maintain that if a Justice (any Justice) were to pass over the next two years, the GOP wouldn't just force Obama to leave the seat vacant until the next Administration?

could Obama recess-appoint a Justice to SCOTUS?

No Obama can't appoint a SCOTUS in recess.

Only because the Senate these days is never in recess specifically to deny Presidents the use of the recess appointment power.  There have been a number of recess appointments to SCOTUS dating back to when Washington was President, not all of which have been approved.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 01:41:33 PM »

Klobuchar would be my pick. The Senate is less willing to filibuster one of their own for executive appointments.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »

If the Notorious steps down under Hillary, Obama should be appointed just to troll everyone. Tongue
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 09:24:46 PM »

If the Notorious steps down under Hillary, Obama should be appointed just to troll everyone. Tongue
Can you imagine? There would probably be riots in the streets.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »

He's certainly young enough to do a Taft, but I doubt that could ever happen in today's environment unless one side has >60 seats.  FWIW George W. Bush does not have a law degree.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 03:45:36 AM »

A choice I would enthusiastically approve of, assuming he's not interested in running for Senate, is Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval. But I highly doubt Obama would actually nominate him.

I would vote to confirm Kaine, Gillibrand, Durbin, or Klobuchar. Not sure on Jeh Johnson, Thomas Perez, and Janet Napolitano. I would vote to reject Cardin or Leahy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 04:43:56 AM »

Obama should nominate Goodwin Liu. There will be some blowback if Republicans block him for SCOTUS like they did for the 9th circuit.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »

Sheldon Whitehouse is a possible replacement from the senate. Yes, he is an outspoken liberal but also very respected among his colleagues (and the RI governor is a Democrat).
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »

Napolitano would be my choice.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 12:25:02 PM »

As some have alluded, no nominee would be confirmed unless perceived as a moderate, as to which there is a reasonable prospect that the person would not be a reliable liberal block justice, absent unusual circumstances.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »

As some have alluded, no nominee would be confirmed unless perceived as a moderate, as to which there is a reasonable prospect that the person would not be a reliable liberal block justice, absent unusual circumstances.
I could see Republicans allowing through a liberal to replace the liberal Ginsburg.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 07:12:15 AM »

I know you're not advocating this specifically, but under what kind of thinking is this even close to consistent? Did it make sense in this way to replace Sandra Day O'Connor with Samuel Alito, even though they weren't really close to ideologically aligned? Does it make sense for a party to straight up refuse to confirm otherwise qualified nominees because they don't like the ideological implications for the balance of the court? Isn't that more a problem with the system than anything?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 08:52:58 PM »

I could see Republicans allowing through a liberal to replace the liberal Ginsburg.

I don't see why the Republicans wouldn't take the chance to just replace Scalia or Kennedy with someone just as conservative in exchange for a liberal taking over Ginsburg's seat.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2015, 08:57:32 PM »

I don't see why the Republicans wouldn't take the chance to just replace Scalia or Kennedy with someone just as conservative in exchange for a liberal taking over Ginsburg's seat.

Well, the problem is that two seats are unlikely to be open at the same time (or during the same 2 years).  Assuming the filibuster stays in place for SCOTUS, pretty much all confirmable nominees will have to be moderates going forward.  And going nuclear for either party means a huge risk that Ted Cruz replaces Ginsburg or Kamala Harris replaces Scalia a few years down the line.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2015, 11:29:19 PM »

Republicans would never get the votes to confirm Ted Cruz to a seat on the Supreme Court. That's just patently ridiculous.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 05:30:45 AM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 03:02:49 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2015, 03:19:38 PM by PR »

I'd love to see Gillibrand replace Ginsburg. She was a lawyer for many years herself, and in the likely scenario of a Hillary Clinton Presidency, I can definitely see her being a top candidate for Ginsburg's seat.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »

Why do people keep suggesting politicians for SCOTUS? The tradition of picking judges or legal scholars is best, IMO. I know the Court is basically just another chamber of Congress these days, but those poor lawyers need to have their profession account for something.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »

Why do people keep suggesting politicians for SCOTUS? The tradition of picking judges or legal scholars is best, IMO. I know the Court is basically just another chamber of Congress these days, but those poor lawyers need to have their profession account for something.

Fair enough.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »

Why? Because most people are far more familiar with politicians than with judges or legal scholars. However, that familiarity is precisely why politicians are seldom nominated these days as they've likely left a paper trail that would derail their nomination if it were made.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2015, 12:02:42 PM »

Why? Because most people are far more familiar with politicians than with judges or legal scholars. However, that familiarity is precisely why politicians are seldom nominated these days as they've likely left a paper trail that would derail their nomination if it were made.

Technically, the Constitution never even specifies that SCOTUS appointees have to be lawyers!
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »

Personally I would appoint Judge Andrew Napolitano.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »

A young-ish liberal would be best, I want to have that liberal seat for as long as possible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies