Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:21:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires?  (Read 34062 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2015, 10:47:10 AM »

Loretta Lynch after Clinton assumes office, hopefully.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »

What if there is a Ginsburg vacancy during a Republican Presidency and Senate (say 56-44)?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2015, 02:38:46 PM »

What if there is a Ginsburg vacancy during a Republican Presidency and Senate (say 56-44)?

Depends entirely on whether they are willing to kill the filibuster.  The most they could possibly get through with the filibuster still in effect would be someone unambiguously pro-choice but economically conservative like Sandoval or Collins.  Of course, it goes both ways and, without the filibuster, they would live in fear of Democrats unilaterally replacing Scalia or Thomas with Kamala Harris in the future.

Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2015, 06:33:10 PM »

I think Obama will have pretty much free reign to nominate a replacement for her if she leaves. She's liberal enough that you can't push the court too hard to the left.

The only credible names he probably couldn't get confirmed was her replacement are Harold Koh (would rule based on international law rather than US law), Debo Adegbile (ties to Mumia), and Eric Holder (many problems, plus likely too old).

The Republicans have bigger fights to pick than a tit-for-tat replacement.

Now if Kennedy was to retire, Obama likely couldn't get any liberal-leaning judge but Merrick Garland through as a replacement.

Literally nobody has brought up those names, and why would they?

And I don't get that bit about Koh. Even if it was the case, it'd be good. We need more European style law.

I definitely remember Garland's name coming up a lot when Souter retired, but Obama chose Sotomayor instead.

I know this wouldn't happen with a Democrat in the White House, but I'd like to second whoever it was that suggested Brian Sandoval. I think he would do very well as an Associate Justice.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2015, 09:13:45 PM »

Loretta Lynch after Clinton assumes office, hopefully.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »

If Democrats hold the White House and the Senate, California Supreme Court Justice Goodwin Liu should be appointed to SCOTUS at the first opportunity. Our side should not have to compromise unless necessary. We should only compromise on judicial nominations when the Senate is controlled by the opposition. If we don't control the Senate, I think the best option is to nominate a popular Senator, which I think would be the safest bet. Right now, I'd look to someone like Amy Klobuchar.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »

An interesting question is whether a retirement announcement at the end of next year's term could be use to get out the vote for a replacement of similar political stripe.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2015, 03:51:22 PM »

An interesting question is whether a retirement announcement at the end of next year's term could be use to get out the vote for a replacement of similar political stripe.

I think there's a general consensus on the Court that there should be no retirements in a presidential election year (obviously with the exception of extraordinary circumstances). If Hillary (or another Democrat) wins next year and Democrats take back the Senate, I wouldn't rule out retirements from either Ginsburg and/or Breyer in 2017 or 2018. While it's possible Kennedy and/or Scalia could retire during the next term, I think 2020 will probably determine their replacements.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2020, 12:10:11 AM »

Depends entirely on whether they are willing to kill the filibuster.

They will, & the replacement will be Amy Coney Barrett, an obscure Notre Dame law professor Tongue
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2020, 02:58:08 PM »

Obama should have forced RBG to retire in 2013.  He should have kept bugging her about retiring until she gave up and did so.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2020, 08:29:08 AM »

Obama should have forced RBG to retire in 2013.  He should have kept bugging her about retiring until she gave up and did so.

If he had tried, we more likely would've gotten President Biden in 2014 when Obama gave up and retired.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2020, 08:58:39 AM »

and more importantly, that there is no way her replacement would be similar to her.  Indeed, she felt that way even before the Dems lost the Senate.

What a self-fulfilling prophecy she created
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2020, 11:00:13 AM »

Wouldn't it be seen as an affront, if a prez tries to push a SCOTUS justice into retirement? Of course, Mr. Trump wouldn't care, but such a norm breaking would backfire against a traditional prez.

RBG made a huge misscalculation because she anticipated HRC, who recommended her appointment to her husband, would be elected in 2016 and replace her.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2020, 12:53:30 PM »

Wouldn't it be seen as an affront, if a prez tries to push a SCOTUS justice into retirement? Of course, Mr. Trump wouldn't care, but such a norm breaking would backfire against a traditional prez.

RBG made a huge misscalculation because she anticipated HRC, who recommended her appointment to her husband, would be elected in 2016 and replace her.

I don’t think the public would care.  LBJ would have found a way to force her to retire. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2020, 02:43:26 PM »

Obama should have forced RBG to retire in 2013.  He should have kept bugging her about retiring until she gave up and did so.

I don’t think the public would care.  LBJ would have found a way to force her to retire.  

He actually got Arthur Goldberg to retire after four years on the bench because he wanted him as UN Ambassador in 1965 and appoint his friend Abe Fortas to the court. However, Goldberg made a bad trade, as his tenure at the UN didn't even last to the end of the Johnson presidency. He attempted a comeback in 1970 by running for governor of New York, but was defeated by Nelson Rockefeller.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »

What an idiot she was to take such a huge risk, even without the benefit of hindsight Hillary was not inevitable enough to be worth risking a 6-3 Court.
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2020, 10:12:34 PM »

What an idiot she was to take such a huge risk, even without the benefit of hindsight Hillary was not inevitable enough to be worth risking a 6-3 Court.

She seemed on the grandiose side and didn't really have many people who could level with her  -- Nina Totenberg said it was simply not a topic people close to her felt comfortable discussing.

Right after she died Justice Breyer gave an interview where he told two anecdotes that were meant to be nice little stories about RBG. One was when he had a new granchild she sent the infant a shirt saying "Future RBG Clerk." The second was for his birthday she sent a card with her image on it saying, "I order you to have a happy birthday." These are both innocent, but illustrate, to me, that she bought eventually bought into her own hype and was fairly self-centered.

An 81 year old pancreatic cancer survivor with a Democratic Senate and President (2014) and she decides to hang on, even though she was quite partisan/ideological?

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2021, 01:16:47 PM »

RBG was a reckless narcissist at the end, yeah.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2021, 01:44:19 PM »

She wasn't just hoping to be replaced by a woman but also hoping for a 5 D -4 R court somehow. That way she would effectively be the chief justice in any swing case.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2021, 09:51:03 PM »

[quote author=SenatorCouzens link=topic=203770.msg7834093#msg7834093 date=1608088354 uid=31004wAn 81 year old pancreatic cancer survivor with a Democratic Senate and President (2014) and she decides to hang on, even though she was quite partisan/ideological? [/quote]On the lower courts, RBG was an exemplary Justice, and it is kind of surprising how much she changed when she got onto the Court.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »

She obviously should have retired in 2013-2014, but why couldn't her staff have propped her up Weekend at Bernie's Style until the election? I'm only half joking here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies