Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:39:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires?  (Read 34084 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: January 16, 2015, 01:20:15 AM »

The most likely choices under a Republican Senate are either Senators as they are usually confirmed by their colleagues or a cabinet secretary as they have already been approved by many of the current senators (though, of course, not to the Supreme Court)

30 of the 46 Democratic Senators (including Bernie Sanders and Angus King) have law degrees, but only 19 were practicing law when they got elected to their first office.  Of those 19, most are either too old or too liberal to be approved by a Republican Senate.

I would think these 3 senators would be 'moderate'  enough to be approved
1.Amy Klobuchar, Minnesota, former Hennepin County Attorney 85% ADA in 2013 4% ACU
2.Kirsten Gillibrand, New York, 90% ADA, 0% ACU (but she was more conservative in the House)
3.Tim Kaine, Virginia, 85% ADA, 0% ACU

Cabinet Secretaries
1.Thomas Perez, Maryland, Secretary of Labor, Former Assistant (or Deputy) Attorney General for Civil Rights
2.Jeh Johnson, Secretary of Homeland Security, former Department of Defense council

Former Cabinet Secretary
1.Janet Napolitano, formerly of Arizona,  former Secretary of Homeland Security,  Former Arizona Attorney General and Governor

I could also see the Republicans allowing an essentially temporary appointment to the Supreme Court (as long as they replace a 'liberal' Justice)  by a liberal Senator who is in his 70s.
1.Richard Durbin, Illinois
2.Ben Cardin, Maryland
3.Pat Leahy, Vermont
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:33:13 PM »

Yes, but as I said, that would only be true if it was a 'liberal' Justice that was being replaced.  Their is no way the Republicans would give up the 'conservative' majority.  That said, Pat Leahy would likely make a wonderful Supreme Court Judge.  I'd love to read his opinions quoting Grateful Dead songs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies