Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:04:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Possible Ginsburg replacements if she retires?  (Read 34118 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »

Can anyone seriously maintain that if a Justice (any Justice) were to pass over the next two years, the GOP wouldn't just force Obama to leave the seat vacant until the next Administration?

I think it's very unlikely that any vacancy on SCOTUS would be filled from now on under President Obama. The only possible chance I could see is having some person nominated with massive critical acclaim (most likely, nominating someone like a current US Senator).
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »

If Democrats hold the White House and the Senate, California Supreme Court Justice Goodwin Liu should be appointed to SCOTUS at the first opportunity. Our side should not have to compromise unless necessary. We should only compromise on judicial nominations when the Senate is controlled by the opposition. If we don't control the Senate, I think the best option is to nominate a popular Senator, which I think would be the safest bet. Right now, I'd look to someone like Amy Klobuchar.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 03:51:22 PM »

An interesting question is whether a retirement announcement at the end of next year's term could be use to get out the vote for a replacement of similar political stripe.

I think there's a general consensus on the Court that there should be no retirements in a presidential election year (obviously with the exception of extraordinary circumstances). If Hillary (or another Democrat) wins next year and Democrats take back the Senate, I wouldn't rule out retirements from either Ginsburg and/or Breyer in 2017 or 2018. While it's possible Kennedy and/or Scalia could retire during the next term, I think 2020 will probably determine their replacements.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies