Landrieu Exceeded all Expectations, so will Hillary be Competitive?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:52:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Landrieu Exceeded all Expectations, so will Hillary be Competitive?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Landrieu Exceeded all Expectations, so will Hillary be Competitive?  (Read 2083 times)
KCDem

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2014, 11:47:35 PM by KCDem »

Landrieu, despite being abandoned and massively outspent, managed to exceed expectations. People were predicting a 30-point Blanching and they were wrong. Does this mean Hillary can be competitive in Louisiana? I definitely think so. Discuss.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:46:32 PM »

Yeah........

no.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:53:04 PM »

ayy lmao
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:56:53 PM »

No
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »

She may have exceeded very low expectations, but she still lost, as an incumbent, by almost 12 points.

So no.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 12:11:21 AM »

Gillepsie exceeded all expectations. Does that mean Virginia will be competitive?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »

Considering the over performances in Caddo and Jefferson parishes, perhaps so. Those are hardly what you would call ancestrally Democratic parishes, as the Republicans there are more suburban than rural.
KCDem

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 12:25:14 AM »

Gillepsie exceeded all expectations. Does that mean Virginia will be competitive?

Virginia will obviously be competitive.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 12:39:14 AM »

LOL at Virginia being competitive in 2016 with Clinton on the ballot. Easy 7-8 point victory for dems.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 12:39:36 AM »

Different candidates
Different year
Different office
Different issues

Also, Landrieu spent more on her Senate race than any Dem will probably spend in Louisiana.
KCDem

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »

LOL at Virginia being competitive in 2016 with Clinton on the ballot. Easy 7-8 point victory for dems.

That's what they said about Warner. Virginia isn't safe for Hillary, far from it. You're crazy to think so.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 12:47:35 AM »

Landrieu, despite being abandoned and massively outspent, managed to exceed expectations. People were predicting a 30-point Blanching and they were wrong. Does this mean Hillary can be competitive in Louisiana? I definitely think so. Discuss.

The RCP average was no where near that. Do you guys have to spin everything?  Hillary Clinton is not Mary Landrieu. 20-week abortions, gay marriage, Obama's right-hand gal. Check out her approval ratings lately?
KCDem

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »

The RCP average was no where near that. Do you guys have to spin everything?  Hillary Clinton is not Mary Landrieu. 20-week abortions, gay marriage, Obama's right-hand gal. Check out her approval ratings lately?

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/hillary-clinton-favorable-rating

Yes currently +4 which exceeds the presidents by about 18 points. But don't let facts get in the way of your talking points.

When do you leave again?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 12:50:37 AM »

That's what they said about Warner. Virginia isn't safe for Hillary, far from it. You're crazy to think so.

Virginia will be competitive in 2016, but not because of Warner's close call. Hillary won't have to contend with anemic turnout.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 12:50:53 AM »

Only you.

Anyway, of course not.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 12:57:31 AM »

Yes currently +4 which exceeds the presidents by about 18 points. But don't let facts get in the way of your talking points.

When do you leave again?

The personal attack on me aside, there's no doubt about it. But +4 is nothing to write home about.  It's not going to win her Louisiana, with Democrats en masse embracing the hard-left urban social agenda.

I'm suggesting to you that her approval numbers took a dip this year. "Empathize" with that a little.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 01:00:20 AM »

When do you leave again?

The personal attack on me aside, there's no doubt about it. But +4 is nothing to write home about.  It's not going to win her Louisiana, with Democrats en masse embracing the hard-left urban social agenda.

I'm suggesting to you that her approval numbers took a dip this year. "Empathize" with that a little.

It's certainly way better than all the GOP contenders who are in the red.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 01:02:38 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Name recognition means quite a bit at this stage of the game.  it's obvious they'll shove Romney down our throats again, so you lot have nothing to worry about.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 01:21:15 AM »

It definitely shows that white Democrats aren't completely dead in some parts of the South. I do wonder how Landrieu was able to keep it so (relatively) close, especially in this environment and in a low turnout run-off.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 01:24:38 AM »

When do you leave again?

That wasn't a personal attack, it's the truth. You come here maybe once every 2 months, sh**tpost for about a week or so, then leave.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 01:32:04 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2014, 01:35:29 AM by CountryClassSF »

It definitely shows that white Democrats aren't completely dead in some parts of the South. I do wonder how Landrieu was able to keep it so (relatively) close, especially in this environment and in a low turnout run-off.

This is the first time you guys  have lost this seat since 1882. Landrieu survived in a red-state midterm in 2002.  It's hilarious how Democrats can never admit getting wiped out. The margin was comparable to the Rasmussen poll released. Those predicting 20-30 points were not basing it on the RCP average, that's for sure.

The only time in recent history I can recall a Democrat doing worse than 40% in Louisiana was Obama in 2008.

Moreover, the combined Republican vote on 11/4 was 55.69%, tonight 55.97%. A mere look at the numbers would indicate no legitimate expectations were exceeded or underestimated here.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 01:35:14 AM »

It's certainly a sign in that direction.
KCDem

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 01:35:42 AM »

This is the first time you guys  have lost this seat since 1882. Landrieu survived in a red-state midterm in 2002.  It's hilarious how Democrats can never admit getting wiped out. The margin was comparable to the Rasmussen poll released. Those predicting 20-30 points were not basing it on the RCP average, that's for sure.

The only time in recent history I can recall a Democrat doing worse than 40% in Louisiana was Obama in 2008.

Are you as stupid as you sound?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/la/louisiana_senate_cassidy_vs_landrieu-3670.html

Cassidy 57
Landrieu 36.8

If you can do math, that's a 20.2% margin per RCP. I know you don't know what facts are so maybe you should invest in a dictionary.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 01:36:56 AM »

I don't recall anyone expecting a 30-point loss.

An incumbent losing by double-digits is typically not an indication of a party's strength in the general.
KCDem

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 01:39:37 AM »

I don't recall anyone expecting a 30-point loss.

An incumbent losing by double-digits is typically not an indication of a party's strength in the general.

538 hinted it was possible. Landrieu was seriously underestimated and tonight was a big defeat for the Republican party.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies