Attempted Gas Attack on Furries in Chicago!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:03:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Attempted Gas Attack on Furries in Chicago!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Attempted Gas Attack on Furries in Chicago!  (Read 9861 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 01:14:56 AM »

Fair point, but you'd have to be an idiot to not realize chlorine can kill people. Hanlon's razor is starting to pop up in very strange situations.
It never pays to underestimate the power of stupidity.  Not everyone is a history buff who knows about the chemical weapons of World War I.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »

oh jesus christ guys
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 11:56:53 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNSuN9GGGo
retromike22
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2014, 12:28:36 AM »

An NBC News report on Furries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHZ9SwTk2UE
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2014, 02:39:52 AM »

It's sort of an interesting question how we approach these sort of weird subcultures. 

Part of me says, this is gross.  It's somehow a weird sex thing, right?  That's gross, and I don't think I need to go into why.  On top of that it's childish and emotionally messed up on some level.  It's like these people are psychologically broken in a way that they need to disassociate from their humanity and identify with make-believe creatures.  It's sort of the definition of not comfortable in your own skin.  And, there's something laughable and ridiculous about it.  How do you not make fun of someone who's really into dressing up like a half-man-half-skunk?

On, the other hand, people are allowed to be into weird sex stuff, within obvious limits.  It may be gross to me and you, but people also hate gay people for the same reason, they find it gross (not to conflate the two things).  And, perhaps, this is by far not really a weird sex thing.  Maybe it's just like judging gay people by the craziest gay sex addicts or music fans based on groupies.  If it's just a weird nerd make-believe thing, is it really unique?  And, aren't we all into silly make-believe to distract ourselves from the ways in which we're psychologically damaged whether it's sports, or sci-fi or spy novels or make-believe governments?

So, maybe it's best to leave these people alone and not say such mean things about them.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2014, 02:43:55 AM »

I think we need to gas this thread.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »

Grow up.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »

It's sort of an interesting question how we approach these sort of weird subcultures. 

Part of me says, this is gross.  It's somehow a weird sex thing, right?  That's gross, and I don't think I need to go into why.  On top of that it's childish and emotionally messed up on some level.  It's like these people are psychologically broken in a way that they need to disassociate from their humanity and identify with make-believe creatures.  It's sort of the definition of not comfortable in your own skin.  And, there's something laughable and ridiculous about it.  How do you not make fun of someone who's really into dressing up like a half-man-half-skunk?

On, the other hand, people are allowed to be into weird sex stuff, within obvious limits.  It may be gross to me and you, but people also hate gay people for the same reason, they find it gross (not to conflate the two things).  And, perhaps, this is by far not really a weird sex thing.  Maybe it's just like judging gay people by the craziest gay sex addicts or music fans based on groupies.  If it's just a weird nerd make-believe thing, is it really unique?  And, aren't we all into silly make-believe to distract ourselves from the ways in which we're psychologically damaged whether it's sports, or sci-fi or spy novels or make-believe governments?

So, maybe it's best to leave these people alone and not say such mean things about them.

Agreed.  I don't think it's super-p.c. to say any of this.  A group doesn't have to be an "oppressed minority" to feel some sympathy for them, or just not care what they do to be happy.  Even if this just were a sex thing, I have no idea why I should bring myself to care or resent it.  It's gross to me?  Yes, so is fat people having sex.  So is drinkable yogurt.  I just don't understand the reaction here.  Yes, it's kind of funny to me, but that's not a rationale to be a mean-spirited douche, let alone the visceral hate.

It also always bothers me when people find harmless hyper-minority groups (<5%) to mock.  It's not because they're "oppressed."  It's because it seems so safe -- there's almost no chance you'll ever get pushback, and anyone who wants to argue with you about it will probably feel uncomfortable doing so.  I wouldn't call it bullying, but it seems pretty lame and potentially dickish.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »

Yeah seeing as we're posting in a forum dedicated to election trivia, we really have no grounds to be criticising other people's hobbies. I mean, I find the idea of dressing as a fox pretty weird, but I expect most furries would probably find the idea of staying up to check the results of a by-election in a country they don't live in pretty weird.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »

A forum that worships opebo as a god has no place denigrating furries.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 05:32:33 PM by Camerlengo Alfred, Archbishop of Rochester »

And, perhaps, this is by far not really a weird sex thing.  Maybe it's just like judging gay people by the craziest gay sex addicts or music fans based on groupies.

It's not a sex thing for the vast majority of furries, and certainly not for me. Hell, the vast majority don't even wear the suits (about 25% is the average figure I've seen from the admittedly few surveys I've looked at). Just letting y'all know that (again).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2014, 05:37:23 PM »

Yeah seeing as we're posting in a forum dedicated to election trivia, we really have no grounds to be criticising other people's hobbies. I mean, I find the idea of dressing as a fox pretty weird, but I expect most furries would probably find the idea of staying up to check the results of a by-election in a country they don't live in pretty weird.

Agreed.  I've actually noticed this behavior as more common among geeks and left-wingers.  It's like we feel the need to put ourselves in the pecking order, and prove that we're not "that" weird/bleeding-heart.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »

It may be a hate crime, and I may not be a fan of Furies, but you don't gas people. Period. 19 people were hurt in this, as bizzare of an event as it was.

Still, Oakvale is correct in the sense that this isn't a hate crime, but it still is a crime. Somebody wanted to injure other people.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »

You are all overthinking this. Furries are weird and silly (this is undeniable) and this bizzare incident is thus funny, particularly since no one actually died. That's all. As I said above, it's like if there was a gas attack at the Gathering of the Juggalos.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2014, 06:05:51 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 06:09:29 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

You are all overthinking this. Furries are weird and silly (this is undeniable) and this bizzare incident is thus funny, particularly since no one actually died. That's all. As I said above, it's like if there was a gas attack at the Gathering of the Juggalos.

yeah no I just don't think people being totally terrified is funny based on how weird I find them.  I don't connect those concepts "weird" and "funny to see suffering."  Not overthinking that, bro.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »

I find it funny that people hate furries enough to do something like this. That is about it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »

We seem to be on different planes of morality when it comes to finding people coughing up blood funny.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »

We seem to be on different planes of morality when it comes to finding people coughing up blood funny.

STOP THE FERSECUTION!!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 10:50:19 PM by Camerlengo Alfred, Archbishop of Rochester »

STOP THE FERSECUTION!!

you, you piece of sh**t. Nobody ing invited you in here - you chose to enter this thread and spew your filth. You chose to insult and demean me, the furry community, and the people who got hurt. You chose to act like the scum you are and that you've proven yourself to be time and time again. You chose to show us all again that you're still a contender for worst person currently on the forum, and while it may be self-centered that my breaking point comes when you attack me rather than Madeleine or people with HIV or basic human decency (I refer here to the eugenics debacle), but that's how it ing is.

You are truly one of the worst, most sociopathic people I have ever seen in my three years here. You are easily the bête noir of this thread, as you have been for too many others, and this is finally the one where I say that I (and I think I speak for quite a few others) am not willing to risk your continued presence here on the chance that you will bring your particular brand of evil into another discussion. This whole forum would be greatly improved by your leaving it and never coming back, and we should have banned you back in May.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:35 PM »

It may be a hate crime, and I may not be a fan of Furies, but you don't gas people. Period. 19 people were hurt in this, as bizarre of an event as it was.

Still, Oakvale is correct in the sense that this isn't a hate crime, but it still is a crime. Somebody wanted to injure other people.
Possible, but not proven.  Yes, definitely somebody wanted to at least cause a stink, but until we know who did this and why, the possibility of idiocy can't be ruled out.  Indeed, I think idiocy likelier than malice unless fur-bashing is an activity I'd remained blissfully unaware of until now.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »

It may be a hate crime, and I may not be a fan of Furies, but you don't gas people. Period. 19 people were hurt in this, as bizarre of an event as it was.

Possible, but not proven.  Yes, definitely somebody wanted to at least cause a stink, but until we know who did this and why, the possibility of idiocy can't be ruled out.  Indeed, I think idiocy likelier than malice unless fur-bashing is an activity I'd remained blissfully unaware of until now.

It's common enough that we're the "punching bag of the Internet" (see: half this thread), though I didn't think it would spread into reality.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2014, 11:41:40 PM »

I have no clue what the heck furries are, but gassing people isn't okay.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »

you, you piece of sh**t. Nobody ing invited you in here - you chose to enter this thread and spew your filth. You chose to insult and demean me, the furry community, and the people who got hurt. You chose to act like the scum you are and that you've proven yourself to be time and time again. You chose to show us all again that you're still a contender for worst person currently on the forum, and while it may be self-centered that my breaking point comes when you attack me rather than Madeleine or people with HIV or basic human decency (I refer here to the eugenics debacle), but that's how it ing is.

You are truly one of the worst, most sociopathic people I have ever seen in my three years here. You are easily the bête noir of this thread, as you have been for too many others, and this is finally the one where I say that I (and I think I speak for quite a few others) am not willing to risk your continued presence here on the chance that you will bring your particular brand of evil into another discussion. This whole forum would be greatly improved by your leaving it and never coming back, and we should have banned you back in May.

THE FERSECUTION!! MAKE IT STOP!!!
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »

I wish I had no clue what the heck furries are, but gassing people isn't okay.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »

I wish I had no clue what the heck furries are, but gassing people isn't okay.

Why's that? We don't bite.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies