CA-Sen: California Quake
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:23:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-Sen: California Quake
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Author Topic: CA-Sen: California Quake  (Read 48109 times)
coloradocowboi
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2015, 02:48:01 PM »

I think Harris does have a lock because she should be able to lock down the North--as someone said earlier--and siphon off non-Latino votes in LA county with pretty minimal resources. It's hard to see anyone beating her unless Villaraigosa goes very negative. I don't see that happening, but he could. This would probably just get the two of them to the finish where she would win all the Rs and clobber him.

TBH, I think that the sample size isn't that erroneous though because these are likely primary voters, so they probably lean more R.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »

That sounds about right. Our June elections heavily favor Republicans.

Loretta Sanchez is seriously considering, from her facebook page

I don't think Harris has this locked down quite yet. Sanchez would be more formidable as a Hispanic opposition than Villarigosa.

Hell no to a blue dog!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2015, 03:14:55 PM »

Not that she looked particuarly eager to run, but Karen Bass isn't running.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2015, 12:52:21 PM »

That sounds about right. Our June elections heavily favor Republicans.

Loretta Sanchez is seriously considering, from her facebook page

I don't think Harris has this locked down quite yet. Sanchez would be more formidable as a Hispanic opposition than Villarigosa.

Hell no to a blue dog!

It says RVs though, not primary LVs.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »

Why are people thinking Harris won't do well with Latinos? They have no reason not to support her. She has been very friendly on immigrant rights issues and herself is a child of immigrants. If anything, this should attract Latinos to her candidacy. Furthermore, Latinos will only make up about 30-35% of the Democratic voting electorate in the primary, so while their vote is crucial, it doesn't necessarily determine who wins the primary.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2015, 01:57:45 AM »

Harris keeps on racking in endorsements from the Northeast, with endorsements from Gillibrand and Booker. She also received a pretty big endorsement from CA Speaker Toni Atkins who became the first openly gay governor of the state for a day last year, and was on the CA-Sen potential list.

So the way it looks now, there's roughly 4 declared Dems (Harris, Villaraigosa, Steyer, Sanchez), and zero Republicans.

Sundheim, Chavez and Ose seem to be the most likely picks for Republicans, but given the state and climate they'll get one spot in the general at best. As long as the DSCC makes sure Harris makes it to the general, then all's good.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #231 on: January 18, 2015, 02:39:48 AM »

Harris keeps on racking in endorsements from the Northeast, with endorsements from Gillibrand and Booker. She also received a pretty big endorsement from CA Speaker Toni Atkins who became the first openly gay governor of the state for a day last year, and was on the CA-Sen potential list.

That doesn't count.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #232 on: January 18, 2015, 02:46:33 AM »

That doesn't count.

Acting governor. I remember that it went all the way down to 3rd in line due to out of state trips.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2015, 03:45:26 AM »

It may be too Republican leaning, but that means it's good news for Democrats in terms of avoiding a primary disaster.

With Harris running there's absolutely no chance of a primary disaster for the Dems.  A D vs D general election seems far more likely IMO.

A D v. D general? That's a joke.

How is it a joke?  If no prominent Republicans run, I think there's a good chance that a Democrat will win second place in the primary.
And I agree that it's far from a done deal that Harris will win.  If the general election is Harris vs Sanchez, Sanchez could win.

Even if a not prominent Republican runs, the Republicans probably get, what, 40% of the vote in the low turnout scenario? I think it's unlikely Democrats pull out second person.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2015, 09:19:39 AM »

It may be too Republican leaning, but that means it's good news for Democrats in terms of avoiding a primary disaster.

With Harris running there's absolutely no chance of a primary disaster for the Dems.  A D vs D general election seems far more likely IMO.

How is it a joke?  If no prominent Republicans run, I think there's a good chance that a Democrat will win second place in the primary.
And I agree that it's far from a done deal that Harris will win.  If the general election is Harris vs Sanchez, Sanchez could win.

Even if a not prominent Republican runs, the Republicans probably get, what, 40% of the vote in the low turnout scenario? I think it's unlikely Democrats pull out second person.

It depends how many Republicans decide to run.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2015, 03:14:20 PM »

It depends how many Republicans decide to run.

This is the case, and if it's a scattershot of nobodies, it may be possible, but that won't be likely.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2015, 04:23:47 PM »

A D v. D general election is absolutely possible if there are 3+ serious Republicans running. Especially at this early stage, it is not a possibility that should be discounted at all.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »

That doesn't count.

Acting governor. I remember that it went all the way down to 3rd in line due to out of state trips.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2015, 10:32:47 AM »

Steyer outlines his agenda, saying he'd serve a single term if his legislative goals weren't met.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »

Carly Fiorina was on the Bill Maher show and she said she lives in Virginia now, and she's not running for Boxer's seat.  She also said that she's serious about running for president.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgEBOKuZKXM
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »

Well, we know were Josh Kraushaar's bias is and here is promoting Villaraigosa in his last piece.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »

A D v. D general election is absolutely possible if there are 3+ serious Republicans running. Especially at this early stage, it is not a possibility that should be discounted at all.

Republicans need exactly two candidates if they hoped for a long shot R vs R general election, or exactly one candidate if they want a spot guaranteed on the general election ballot without the risk of a D vs D race.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2015, 08:23:36 PM »

Swallwell endorses Harris.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2015, 08:29:59 PM »

So the way it looks now, there's roughly 4 declared Dems (Harris, Villaraigosa, Steyer, Sanchez), and zero Republicans.

Sundheim, Chavez and Ose seem to be the most likely picks for Republicans, but given the state and climate they'll get one spot in the general at best. As long as the DSCC makes sure Harris makes it to the general, then all's good.

Ose couldn't beat Bera in CA-07 last year. I don't think that he'll be a serious contender.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »

Local Latino leaders are pushing hard for Villaraigosa.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2015, 10:26:02 PM »

Besides being sick of Villaraigosa for numerous reasons from living in SoCal, I'd want Harris just for the fact that (barring she doesn't run for President, get picked for VP, or cabinet position eventually) she could stick around in the senate for six or so terms. Contextually speaking, Villaraigosa is about two Senate terms in age older than Harris. I would want someone from California who could replicate that seniority Feinstein and Boxer held together.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »

Becerra seriously considering.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2015, 01:29:20 PM »

I have a feeling some of the SoCal Latinos will drop out at some point.  Some of the candidates will probably also try to present themselves as moderates to woo conservative voters in the primary.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2015, 01:36:19 PM »

WTF.... wait for Pelosi and Hoyer to retire and he has a great shot at moving up in House leadership.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2015, 03:05:01 PM »

WTF.... wait for Pelosi and Hoyer to retire and he has a great shot at moving up in House leadership.
Pelosi will be in congress until she is either primaried or dies.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies